Elderly Mr. Wall’s Silver 1985 900 Sport [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Elderly Mr. Wall’s Silver 1985 900 Sport

SPGreg
14th May 2011, 11:49 PM
Today I bought elderly Mr. Wall’s silver 1985 900 Sport for $798 (it was $800 actually, but I found $2 under the back seat). I thought I’d start a project thread.

When I first saw the car advertised several months ago, I thought it could be my first Saab, which I sold in 1991, also a silver 1985 900 Sport. A vehicle history check unfortunately ruled that out. I’ve got pictures of my first Saab in my profile over on TSL and will put some in this thread shortly. It’s “The Wedding Saab,” the car my wife and I used for our wedding.

I don’t know when Mr. Wall bought his Saab. But his thick folder of repair shop receipts starts in July of 1990 and ends in October of 2009. In October of 2010 Mr. Wall donated his Saab to a local high school, after the clutch went. He was getting old, it was time to hang up his keys and give up driving. The school issued him a tax receipt, the students in the auto program replaced the clutch, and a couple of months later the auto instructor advertised the car for sale. Not stating any history, it was a cryptic ad with the usual blurry Craigslist pictures and no phone number, asking price $950. The instructor didn’t respond to my first emails; the ad remained and withered. I figured it had sold. Two days before the ad expired I sent out a Hail Mary. This time I got a reply: still for sale. The instructor and I exchanged sporadic emails over a 6 week period, me pelting him with unending questions, him apologizing for being too busy to get back to me sooner. All that ended today with me finally seeing the car, and buying it.

In the ~20 years Mr. Wall owned the car, he drove it a total of ~160,000 kilometres (~100,000) miles. That's an average of ~8,000 kilometres (~5,000 miles) per year!

Mr. Wall was nothing if not meticulous about taking his car to the repair shop for basic maintenance. Amazingly, in his folder of receipts I found twenty-one receipts for tune ups. Every year he had the oil changed along with plugs, cap, rotors, and wires – in most cases the works. There was also a miscellany of other receipts, for CV joints, clutch, brakes, lights, water pump, hoses, locking gas cap – almost everything you can imagine. In recent years, shops replaced the radiator, steering rack, and heater valve. Timing chain and head gasket do not appear to have been done, and the transmission appears to be original, but maintenance-wise he was definitely on top of things.

I don’t think Mr. Wall had a garage. The paint is faded and oxidized (though in the pictures the paint doesn’t look bad). There is minor rust. One section – the driver’s front wheel well – has been repaired TERRIBLY by an amateur (not the school, I was told). I’m sure it’s rusty under those bubbling gobs of fill. There’s also a bit of rust on the lower rear wheel well, passenger side. But the floorboards and ‘A’ arm areas / drive tunnels are rust-free, and any other rust (apart from a 2” x 2” square in the corner of the spare tire compartment) is surface rust only. Great news.

As for the interior, the dash has the usual cracks, the headliner is in good shape, and the manual sunroof could use some lubrication but opens and doesn't appear to leak. The seats feel dirty but don’t look bad and aren’t torn. The radio is after-market (and doesn’t work anyway) so that’ll be something to hunt for - an original radio.

The car only has 231,178 kilometres (143,647 miles), documented by Mr. Wall’s twenty-plus years of shop receipts and supported by a working odometer. But not everything has been maintained perfectly. In the coming days I’ll start a project to-do list. Cleaning will be first. Also I didn’t see any receipts for injectors and Mr. Wall’s look original (the car felt sluggish, possibly because I’m used to a 16 valve turbo, but I think there are issues to sort.) Bucket headlights may be on the list, to replace the E-codes... (flame suit donned, I like buckets better on flatnoses!). Anyway, the list will go on.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of it after I got it home. I'll post more pictures in the coming days.

JeffCullen
15th May 2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Greg! Looks like fun! Congrats!

DustinS
16th May 2011, 10:30 AM
Awesome! love 8v N/A. really fun for a slow car haha.

first thing i would do is too take off the fender trim, as they are the reason the fenders start to rust in the first place, plus makes the car look a little cleaner, IMO.

SPGreg
16th May 2011, 01:16 PM
I've been asked in the past about the 'Sport' package. I don't have a ton of information. As mentioned I previously owned a 1985 900 Sport. That's when I became aware of the existence of the Sport package. But I didn't buy my first Saab new, so didn't really know what I had.

To my knowledge the Sport was available only in Canada, though that's a bit of a guess not having seen them elsewhere while doing internet and other research. I have seen Sports in silver, red, black, white, and tan, though it isn't clear whether all of these colors were available originally or whether the Sports I saw in these colors had been repainted. I've only ever seen one tan colored Sport. The tan one was in nice shape, and was actually for sale by the original owner, but I was holding out for a silver one. Not sure what colors were available what years, or if other colors were available. The Sport package may have been available as early as 1984 and as late as 1990, this based (again) on my own internet findings.

A goal for me is to learn more about the Sport package, so if anyone knows anything more or different, I'd be grateful if you could post your info.

I'm attaching a copy of an old magazine ad showing the 1986 900 Sport. It's only very slightly different than mine (note the side-repeaters - I believe 1986 was the first year for those on c900s). But otherwise, apart from the missing wind deflector, it's pretty much the same as the one I just bought. Sports came with the Ronal wheels, a manual sunroof and (on mine, at least) the sunroof wind deflector. They do not have AC and I'm not sure whether the motor had any extra pep than the base 900.

A friend of mine's father was a parts manager in a Saab dealership in the 80s. I've asked her to ask her father what he can remember.

My goal for my 'new' 1985 Sport is to obtain Collector Status for insurance purposes. This will mean a special Collector license plate and very inexpensive insurance. That will also mean making the car as original as I can. So Dustin, I'll be keeping the fender trim, though I'll probably remove it to clean up the edging (one piece is full of tree debris!).

I've also attached a picture of my first Saab.

SPGreg
21st May 2011, 12:46 AM
I showed an indie body guy some pictures of the rusted driver's side fender and he recommended I find a replacement fender. He figured it was rusted right through. I poked near the edge of the fender with a key and sure enough, the key went through easily. I think he thought it would be less work, and thus cheaper for me, to put in a new fender rather than weld in new metal and do a lot of body work. Plus I think he was concerned the rust could come back if I didn't replace the fender completely.

I found a body repair manual for Saabs. It looks like several cuts of varying length are required to remove a fender. I don't have a grinder or sawzall or welder or any tools like that, even if I did have another 85 c900 to pull a fender from. Presumably the fender would need to be welded on to the next car as much as it had been cut off of the donor car? Seems like a lot of welding. Just trying to figure out what's less work / less costly - cutting off and welding on a fender vs. welding on a smaller amount of metal and repairing the existing fender.

Guess the first thing I need to do is remove the old body fill and size up the rust on that fender. I've worked with body fill before. Need to see what I'm up against. I'll do that and post some pictures.

900t
21st May 2011, 01:21 AM
How experienced was the body guy in regards to Saab C900's ? For most cars, fender replacement is trivial and on a lot of them, really really cheap because they make new ones in China. Considering the C900 needs a lot of welding work to install one and cutting to remove the old one, and that new ones are not widely available, the cost-benefit balance is shifted heavily towards repair (but I defer to him if he knows C900)

I remember seeing 900 Sport's around, all I recall was the Shelby wheels (or were they Ronal?) and always like an '84 - '86 ish 8v injection but presumably maybe a few 16's. Always 3dr's, cloth seats, never saw an automatic one but I didn't necessarily look for it. I think I may have seen a 1987 slant-nose Sport.

JeffCullen
21st May 2011, 01:33 AM
Sport definitely Canada-only. Started in '84. I've never heard of/seen one newer than '85. All 8-valve non turbo 5sp. No extra pep. Base model, add manual sunroof and those wheels.

SPGreg
23rd May 2011, 01:01 AM
Got some dry weather today so spent some time with the Saab. I had washed it the other day between rainstorms. The paint is pretty faded, especially on the top surfaces like the hood. I'm thinking I'll get the car re-sprayed in the next 3-4 months if I can manage / afford it.

A friend has some US style headlights which (as mentioned in my opening post) I prefer on the flatnoses. So I pulled my e-codes out to trade with him. I likely won't be driving this car much at night, or on truly dark roads, so I don't anticipate light quality being an issue. IMHO the US style headlights look racier, sportier.

Also removed the headlight wiper motors. The wiper-arms were missing, not sure if the motors work or not, but they won't work with the US lights anyway so I'll hang onto them as spares.

My passenger rear tire had gone flat so I put the spare on. I'm swapping out my old rims on the black SPG this week so I'll have the tire shop patch the hole at the same time. The passenger front tire may have a slow leak.

The interior definitely needs a good shampoo. I pushed up the passenger headrest (dont' think it's been pushed up in a couple of decades) and wow was the material blue under there. I want the whole interior to look that fresh.

The top of my dashboard looks like a map of rivers. In the long run I may swap in a better dash, but for now I'll track down a rug for it. Both my other c900s have rugs (the black SPG needs it, the Tally doesn't). Rugs do prevent things from getting worse (if that's possible on a 26 year old dash).

I pulled off the driver's side fender trim and really poked around the rust. I'm thinking I'll need another fender. If I can't find one from a 79-85 900, then I'll have to replace both fenders I guess, since the ones from '86 on had the side repeaters. Though I suppose those holes could be covered up. Or I could adopt the look of the '86. We'll see how the part hunting goes.

Here's the beginning of my to-do list (in no particular order):

-track down Clarion deck and equalizer from 1985
-fix wipers (a short somewhere keeps blowing the fuse)
-deal with the driver's fender rust (see pictures) and other minor rust
-get the car re-sprayed
-install the US style headlight assembly
-get some silicone vacuum hose ready (idle is good but we all know how that goes)
-clean the engine compartment
-clean the interior
-get a dash rug for now
-replace the Saab hood and trunk emblems (both are faded almost invisible)
-install replacement "SPORT" emblem onto hatch (managed to track one down in Alberta; will install emblems after re-spray)
-fix air leak(s) in tire(s)
-re-paint some of the black exterior trim including the grill
-lube the manual sunroof
-re-cover the door cards with existing material (clean off that glue gunk & re-attach them)
-find the source of a small water leak (found a little water on the driver's side door-sill, just below the dash - I'm thinking it's a windshield seal issue)
-replace the passenger rear tail/signal light lens (it's cracked and the cracks have been filled with silicone)
-tune it as much as necessary (plugs, cap, rotor, & wires don't have too many miles on them but there is a roughness to how it's running, I'm thinking the timing could be off, need to look into it)
-consider putting on a ducktail spoiler and louvers (I have both)
-consider lowering it to SPG height so it doesn't look so much like a 4x4!

kemosaabey
23rd May 2011, 05:48 AM
nice car!

Looks like it has a pre '83 motor in there...(oil filler on the valve cover..)

SPGreg
23rd May 2011, 10:05 AM
nice car!

Looks like it has a pre '83 motor in there...(oil filler on the valve cover..)

Thanks! I have learned that this car was in a wreck in 1987. It was rebuilt after that. So it's possible the original motor needed to be swapped out. Also there's no record of an engine swap in Mr. Wall's receipts. What's the best way to find the build date of the motor?

SPGreg
23rd May 2011, 10:46 AM
I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the engine. Compression test before purchase netted 155, 150, 150, 165, all within 10%. Overall the engine compartment isn't bad looking. Not detailed or anything, but project-wise not a bad starting point. There's some surface rust in the battery region but everything looks solid.

I bought this car mainly for sentimental reasons, so it doesn't bother me that the engine may not be original to the car. It's been treated pretty well over the last two decades. Just want to learn what I can about it. Your insight is welcome!

SPGreg
23rd May 2011, 03:58 PM
How experienced was the body guy in regards to Saab C900's ? For most cars, fender replacement is trivial and on a lot of them, really really cheap because they make new ones in China. Considering the C900 needs a lot of welding work to install one and cutting to remove the old one, and that new ones are not widely available, the cost-benefit balance is shifted heavily towards repair (but I defer to him if he knows C900)

I remember seeing 900 Sport's around, all I recall was the Shelby wheels (or were they Ronal?) and always like an '84 - '86 ish 8v injection but presumably maybe a few 16's. Always 3dr's, cloth seats, never saw an automatic one but I didn't necessarily look for it. I think I may have seen a 1987 slant-nose Sport.

He doesn't know these cars. He's mainly done restoration work on muscle cars. Bolt on stuff. He is very good and does weld. He'll probably need to see it for himself to size it up. My sense now, having looked a bit more closely at the rust, is that I might be better off tracking down a replacement fender.

I think you're right about the 3drs, I've never seen a 4 door Sport, either. Or an automatic, always 5 speed, cloth. The rims on this one are Ronals. I love these rims, especially with the silver of the car. There used to be a lot more Sports around here. I've seen them for sale on CL or Kijiji in Alberta, Quebec and Ontario (plus BC occasionally). Not many left in Canada, it seems (Sports or C900s in general).

SPGreg
27th May 2011, 01:40 AM
Picked up a few things this week:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/5763495947_76feaca821_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5763495947/)
Installed this lens tonight.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/5764042160_d6c772b852_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5764042160/)
Picked up a fender to replace the driver's front.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/5764041510_43fe32c164_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5764041510/)
The SPORT emblem was missing from the hatch. Tracked one down from SC member RM '92 SPG - thanks Rob! Will install after painting.

Fixed the flat tire this week. Also did some minor cleaning (sunroof beneath wind deflector & the rear hatch area). Also lubed up the manual sunroof so it's smoother and quiet. Treated the hatch supports to some WD40. Wasn't time to do much else. The weather's been crappy.

SPGreg
29th May 2011, 10:28 PM
Made a little progress today - the weather cooperated.

Cleaned the spare tire compartment. Didn't take a 'before' picture but the tire was covered with dust and the compartment floor was covered with debris and dirt. There are some paint chips but it cleaned up nicely:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/5773731657_7333214128_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5773731657/)

Learned something today: the former owner had a pet. The hatch area was full of short white hairs, quite like cat hair. I hadn't really noticed. The hair looked just like the white fibers of the carpeting on the wall areas of the hatch. Vacuum wasn't too effective so used strips of duct tape to get the hair out.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5773813579_7d1203a690_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5773813579/)

There was some kind of recent spill in the back. It burned right through the carpet and was still damp. I cut out the carpet and wiped & sanded it down. I'll look for a graft or may just recover the whole piece. Just couldn't look at that wet gob of acid (or whatever it was) any longer, and didn't want to get burned.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5773739623_7836c206e2_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5773739623/)

Also removed the doorcards and washed the material. It came out okay though I'm going to find some replacement fabric if I can. A trip to the fabric store is in my future. Want something less faded looking if I can find it. Something more blue.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/5773821297_c13d3be55e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5773821297/)

Vacuumed out the interior & ran the car for 15-20 minutes. Wanted to take it for a spin but it's not insured for driving at the moment.

SPGreg
9th June 2011, 01:18 AM
Managed to get a few more cosmetic things done this week.

I recovered the cargo area rear floor. Found a woolish material at the fabric store that was a close match. It shows a bit darker in real life but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I will likely recover the spare tire compartment door so the floor will be uniformly colored.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/5813680587_57cda582ef_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5813680587/)

I also recovered the doorcards. They look good in general, very clean, but not sure I like the color. What do you think?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5189/5813681581_4ff88a5673_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5813681581/)

I've been hunting online for a Clarion ETR deck and equalizer original to 1985. Not easy to find! There was nothing on Ebay so I searched CL state by state and posted in the forums, too. Someone would have the EQ, another person the deck, but then the deck would fall through so only the EQ would be available, and maybe someone else had both? Eventually I got everything I needed from three different sellers in three different locations in the US. Thanks to Burnside42 from TSL, Cooper-Davis from here on SC, and a guy named Chris who was parting out an '85 in Tennessee. Between them all I got everything below for $88 (including shipping) plus a spare equalizer. Not a bad deal! I have no idea how people hunted for parts before the electronic age.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/5814250972_5198dac30f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5814250972/)

Today I emailed my body guy to talk about dates for doing the fender work. I'm also chasing down a console since this car doesn't have one. Went to a couple of yards over the weekend and neither had anything. It's slim pickens around here! Again, thank goodness for the internet and the people in these forums.

James Bond
9th June 2011, 02:25 AM
I like the door cards!

Nice and fresh.

SPGreg
12th June 2011, 11:36 AM
I like the door cards!

Nice and fresh.

Thanks, James! ;ol; I think I'll keep the look. In fact, I'll likely recover the rear hatch cover and speaker surrounds as well, to tie everything together. Cheers!

SPGreg
13th June 2011, 01:04 AM
More cosmetic stuff today. Cleaned, primed, painted, and clear-coated the grille using SEM products.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5039/5826884646_9aa8848a79_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5826884646/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5027/5826884650_2448216b10_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5826884650/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/5826884652_6db95bbb05_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5826884652/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2719/5826884678_e740aabec3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5826884678/)

Pried the hood emblem off - it's completely devoid of color. Anyone ever try those Saab decals? There are a few vendors on Ebay. Feedback's mostly good though you read the occasional negative comment that the decal 'looks like it was printed with a dot matrix printer.' Not sure whether to go with a decal for the faded emblem or track down a good used emblem.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5036/5827594256_b6f08ebea6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5827594256/)

I re-upholstered the hatch compartment cover in the new blue. Pulled the speaker cover panels and will re-upholster those next. Pix to come when all is installed again.

SPGreg
19th June 2011, 08:03 PM
Pix of the re-upholstered hatch deck and speaker surrounds. Used the same material as the door cards. It's a micro-fiber suede. I'm no upholsterer but the back looks much better than it did previously.

I covered the speaker grills because IMHO the surrounds look cleaner with the grilles hidden.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/5850381937_f6e860a28a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5850381937/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5194/5850385593_408c383868_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5850385593/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/5850369545_50c4113def_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5850369545/)

JeffCullen
19th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Great work, Greg!

Are you coming to the next SCWC meet on the 25th? Could be an opportunity for us to swap those headlights...

SPGreg
19th June 2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks Jeff! That'd be great - I'll plan to go if we can do the swap. Taking the Sport for rust repair soon - would be good to have the lights in for the drive to east Abby.

Gotta check whether we're in Coq or Rmd...

staves
20th June 2011, 11:34 PM
Re. emblem decals - I've tried the eBay decals from the guy in Portugal and was unimpressed. The quality from eu-decals.com is first-rate, however.

SPGreg
22nd June 2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Staves. I'll check into eu-decals. Meantime I found some used emblems in decent shape. I'll throw those on after the paint work, which will start this weekend (I hope)...

SPGreg
10th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Got the Sport back from my indie body guy today. He actually works out of an old barn on the edge of a field. Paint booth is inside - stealth!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/5924623956_e381d0c8d1_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924623956/)
Here's the new fender. I didn't get the chance to paint the trim edges before the car went for bodywork so will do that soon. I'm very pleased with the work.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/5924037975_b9be93d1ab_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924037975/)

I've also been working on something else that I think will look great on this car: louvers! Didn't every car have louvers in 1985? ;) Here's some before, during, and after pix. Louvers not installed yet.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5924587506_5b4e65545f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924587506/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/5924029579_a056a5e13e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924029579/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5924034547_2fcffe1faf_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924034547/)

I also swapped out my E-codes for the US style lights & bezels (actually did this before the rust work but didn't upload the pictures until today). Bezels still need to be re-painted (particularly the driver's side) and the center / parking light lenses need to be cleaned. These are actually the Cibie H4 lights, not the standard US units, so good news there. Thanks Jeffcullen!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5924697856_594a15eff9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5924697856/)

My to do list over the next month (continuing with the cosmetic stuff, since I'm not far away now from applying for collector status):
-install missing emblems
-remove riveted ashtray & replace with console
-install '85 Clarion deck & equalizer
-clean center / parking lights
-paint & re-install headlight bezels
-paint other trim pieces
-reinstall wind deflector
-obtain & install SPG springs (mmoe has some for me)
-install louvers
-swap my ducktail spoiler from the red SPG onto this car
-vacuum & clean the interior more thoroughly
-clean the engine and compartment
-do other detail work
-take pictures & apply for Collector Status

There will be more work after collector status is obtained (obviously - there's always something) but the car will be insured & I can drive and enjoy it while I work on those other things. Today I had a one day permit and probably put around 80 kilometers on the car. It drives really nicely - I got lots of curious looks on the road! ;ol;

JeffCullen
21st July 2011, 01:49 AM
Looks great! LMK if you'd like any help getting that '85 radio hooked up--I've got that figured inside out and backwards... I've got some neat Saab special tools and can do a mean tuneup on those K-Jet 8-valves as well :)

Cheers,
--jeff

SPGreg
21st July 2011, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks Jeff! ;ol;

SPGreg
25th July 2011, 02:39 PM
Okay. Chipping away at the little things. Even small jobs take time - I wish this could be faster. But I kind of enjoy completing & documenting the small stuff. There's a feeling of accomplishment in crossing things off the list.

I removed, cleaned, and painted the headlight bezels yesterday. Had to be careful prying off the lenses - didn't want to fracture the bezel. They don't unscrew. They're glued on. I reattached / resealed them with two-part resin.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6006/5975070906_6ff2a7350d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5975070906/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/5975073110_c0b483cdc0_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5975073110/)

Also installed a new (used) hood emblem, to replace my completely-faded one:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5974509765_1eee1e9672_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974509765/)

Here's the rear hatch as it looked on my first Saab 900 Sport (picture taken in 1990). Didn't know I'd be using this picture as a template for future emblems!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5975119636_a515e450e1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5975119636/)

And here's the hatch after installing the 1.5" Saab Scania emblem and the "SPORT" emblem:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6018/5974517699_c5c2ced29f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974517699/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6130/5974498157_e340f287d1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974498157/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/5974496793_baceaf5200_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974496793/)

The driver's seat belt boot was all cracked and taped up so I found a replacement:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5974504371_ea17200022_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974504371/)

Another post ahead with more pics...

SPGreg
25th July 2011, 02:46 PM
....continued

The door windows rattled when I shut the doors. The trim inside the back of the window frames was missing. So I sourced replacement trim from a wrecker. But turns out the trim pieces weren't missing, they had slipped down into the door. I used needle nose pliers to pull them back up into position. Easy fix & no more rattle.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5974503145_8cf3c73a59_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974503145/)

Put the wind deflector back on. Also put on some used gutter end caps to replace the originals, which were disintegrating:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5974501685_a6eda7f177_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974501685/)

So she's coming along. Here's a couple of the whole car (tight angle, best I could do where it's parked):
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5974518811_a4e73fbbff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5974518811/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/5975079994_698b4f43e2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5975079994/)

dmgb5
25th July 2011, 03:23 PM
Its looking good Greg. ;ol; You planning on adding factory fog lamps? Details on the louvre respray please.

JeffCullen
25th July 2011, 03:54 PM
The headlight surrounds look transformed! Great work!

SPGreg
26th July 2011, 12:24 AM
Its looking good Greg. ;ol; You planning on adding factory fog lamps? Details on the louvre respray please.

Thanks, dmgb. I may put foglamps on the list. They're kind of on the 'unlisted' list! If I put everything down, the list would be too daunting. So I hold off on some things - helps make the restoration seem more achievable!

As for the louvers, I bought these on ebay last year. I believe this style was first available in 1986 or 1987. These louvers allow for the third brake light in the hatch glass, which made its debut in 1986 (AFAIK) and which I also plan to install on this car (another item on the 'unlisted' list!). I did see this style of louvers in the 1987 accessories catalogue. Do you by chance know when this style of louver was introduced?

These may be the aero or airflow louvers, not sure. I'll put them on this car for the Collector Car submission photographs. Want to give myself the choice of wearing them or not wearing them. The insurer doesn't like it when you make changes to a car they've already approved. Hopefully there'll be no issue. Louvers are definitely era-correct for a mid-80s car but whether they'll make a stink because this particular style may not have been available for a 900 in 1985 remains to be seen. Maybe the SAAB 'shadow' louvers would be the more technically-correct choice (if I had a set), though I don't know what years they were available as a dealer accessory. Do you?

As for the respray, I cleaned multiple times, degreased, sanded lightly, primed, and painted with SEM products (Landau black), in multiple coats. I used a low-gloss clear to retain the mostly-flat look. I probably still need to do some touch-ups. The plastic trim needs some attention as you can see. But they look pretty nice up close, so overall I'm pleased. I've got all the mounting hardware, too.

SPGreg
26th July 2011, 12:29 AM
The headlight surrounds look transformed! Great work!

Thanks, Jeff! Today I drilled out the rivets on the knee roll ashtray and installed my console. Pix to come. Also pulled out the old Sansui deck. I may take you up on your offer to assist with installing the Clarion ETR & equalizer! Sounds like you could do it with your eyes closed! :D

dmgb5
26th July 2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the in depth response. I was curious because I have the same style louvres as well. I have been contemplating a DIY respray for some time.

As for the period correctness of those louvres...I believe they are the last style/version of louvres and they first appear in '87(?). There are 4 types of louvres for the 3dr/5dr c900 that I am aware of. The plastic type(european market only?), the aluminum type with saab cut into the side which came with and without the opening for the third brake light, and then the thin aluminum type which we have.

If you decided to put fog lamps on the list someday I am some fogs and brackets for the flat front c900.

SPGreg
27th July 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the in depth response. I was curious because I have the same style louvres as well. I have been contemplating a DIY respray for some time.

As for the period correctness of those louvres...I believe they are the last style/version of louvres and they first appear in '87(?). There are 4 types of louvres for the 3dr/5dr c900 that I am aware of. The plastic type(european market only?), the aluminum type with saab cut into the side which came with and without the opening for the third brake light, and then the thin aluminum type which we have.

If you decided to put fog lamps on the list someday I am some fogs and brackets for the flat front c900.

Thank you, I'll keep the lamps in mind.

I can't edit the louver post again but I also wet-sanded with 1500 or 2000 grit paper. Cheers.

SPGreg
28th July 2011, 11:19 PM
A bit more progress. Old Sansui deck removed, console installed and ready for the Clarion ETR deck & EQ.

Also, floor vacuumed!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5978743667_56d1768cd7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5978743667/)
My shifter positions map in the shifter head is almost invisible. Would it be easy to replicate one of those? I'll have to pop open the plastic cap and see what the old maps are made of. Seems like it would be easy to make another one.

I was missing the vertical trim on the outer edge of the driver's door, at the rear of the window. None of my window trim chrome is stellar, it's mostly kinda foggy. I sanded down a black spare to bare aluminum and siliconed it on. It looks decent enough for now, far better than with no trim at all:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5986537742_5376538ac2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986537742/)

I picked up a third brake light a while back but wasn't sure how to install it. So I pulled the back panel off of my black SPG to see how the light was mounted (apologies for the blurry pics):
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5986520152_f729ed1d7a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986520152/)
It's basically three nuts held to the other side of the sheet metal by tiny metal wings (two wings per nut). The holes in the sheet metal are rectangular. The wings are near the end of the nut so you can insert the nuts vertically through the holes, flip them ninety degrees (flat against the other side of the sheet metal), then slide each nut forward a little to lock it into place with the wings.

I took some painters tape and put it over the SPG mounts to trace. Then I cut the traced rectangles out and relocated the tape to the hatch of the silver 900, where I drilled & dremelled rectangular slots and completed the installation. Relatively straight forward:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/5986520886_19fe8d16c0_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986520886/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/5985961185_2fd1bce804_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5985961185/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5985961845_ca0d1e5e76_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5985961845/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/5986523500_426e25a697_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986523500/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5986534422_ce1f764583_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986534422/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/5986536404_7e497126d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986536404/)
Haven't wired it in yet. Have yet to figure that out.

JeffCullen
28th July 2011, 11:54 PM
Great work!

The white DIN cable and single pin brown grounding cable both need to be run from the center console spot where the EQ will be up to the head unit spot in the fascia.

Looks like you've got the head-unit side of the wiring harness in tact. I assume whoever installed the Sansui hacked up the factory wiring. I've got spare connectors that should be on the car side, so we can wire those up to return it to how it would have been stock, and then just plug everything in.

The two cylindrical plugs go to the speakers--one is for front left and right, the other is for rear left and right. The blue wire is for the power antenna. The yellow wire is for illumination--this piggybacks off of the top bulb that slides into the fascia to illuminate the temperature control dial. Finally there's power--the two pin connector with the black and blue wires is ground and switched 12v, the other loner (red I think?) is constant 12v. I think that's everything.

How's the cold-start on that car? Ignition timing? I've found these two off on most of the 8-valve cars I've encountered...

Hmm, just noticed you've got the brake reservoir cap from a '87/up car on there, and the wires aren't hooked up. I think I've got a spare older-style one...

Factory fog lamps were Bosch Pilot 150 -- easily found brand new!

SPGreg
29th July 2011, 12:18 AM
Great work!

The white DIN cable and single pin brown grounding cable both need to be run from the center console spot where the EQ will be up to the head unit spot in the fascia.

Looks like you've got the head-unit side of the wiring harness in tact. I assume whoever installed the Sansui hacked up the factory wiring. I've got spare connectors that should be on the car side, so we can wire those up to return it to how it would have been stock, and then just plug everything in.

The two cylindrical plugs go to the speakers--one is for front left and right, the other is for rear left and right. The blue wire is for the power antenna. The yellow wire is for illumination--this piggybacks off of the top bulb that slides into the fascia to illuminate the temperature control dial. Finally there's power--the two pin connector with the black and blue wires is ground and switched 12v, the other loner (red I think?) is constant 12v. I think that's everything.

How's the cold-start on that car? Ignition timing? I've found these two off on most of the 8-valve cars I've encountered...

Hmm, just noticed you've got the brake reservoir cap from a '87/up car on there, and the wires aren't hooked up. I think I've got a spare older-style one...

Factory fog lamps were Bosch Pilot 150 -- easily found brand new!

It starts right up - no issues that I've noticed (knocking on the wood of my head...) :lol:

Good eye on the cap - hadn't noticed!

Looking forward to getting it all in!

SPGreg
15th August 2011, 12:16 AM
Installed the ducktail spoiler today.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/6044572256_950c177a33_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6044572256/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/6044029127_f8b3f99d65_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6044029127/)

Also laid the louvers on but only to take some pictures and see how they look. I haven't actually installed them.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/6044590682_e67455dd73_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6044590682/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6183/6044592574_ea38510f2e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6044592574/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6193/6044045987_a7a91b3b4e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6044045987/)

Slowly but surely.

chagy
4th September 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm loving the project can't wait to see more to come

SPGreg
19th October 2011, 10:58 PM
I got Collector Status! The application process took several weeks but it was approved and today I picked up my Collector plates. Feels great to have them!

Below are some of the pictures I was required by the insurer to submit with my application. These were taken back in late August.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6262141855_205d68e34b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262141855/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/6262666910_9a71a161e1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262666910/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6262140489_344cde137f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262140489/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6262139125_e60a2e7031_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262139125/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6104/6262664174_0ffd617490_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262664174/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6262663578_c50511c3f9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262663578/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6222/6262662860_07457f240b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262662860/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6224/6262662172_57e98773a1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262662172/)
As you can see the louvers were approved. So now I can install them more permanently. But I'm still not sure if I want them on this car. I'm leaning toward putting them onto my black SPG. We'll see.

Another post ahead with more pictures of updates...

SPGreg
19th October 2011, 11:28 PM
...continued

Here are some recent updates. I wasn't thrilled with how the black grille looked. Eventually it dawned on me that I didn't like the black grille on my original 900 Sport, either. That problem was solved when I rear-ended someone in 1989 :cry:. I destroyed the black grille (along with the hood, lights, and a bunch of other stuff). The good news was the replacement grille was chrome.

This time I didn't have to crash the car to get a flatnose chrome grille. I managed to track down a decent flatnose chrome grille on ebay. Here is a picture of it installed:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6262109373_916fd07a04_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262109373/)
I much prefer it to the black. I know there are some chrome-haters out there but I quite like it. Plus the chrome is era-correct. And actually, most pictures of silver c900s I've seen from 1985 (including pictures in Saab brochures and catalogs) had chrome grilles.

Here are some recent interior shots. You can see the original 1985 deck installed. I've also got some blue & black Saab floormats from back in the day. Plus I replaced the gearshift cap with a clean, unfaded gear indicator.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6262635592_03aa0160af_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262635592/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6104/6262110837_ac83746a98_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262110837/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6159/6262637054_ae7fdb0c2f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262637054/)

Here are some pictures of the car with the Collector plates on. It was dark so I couldn't get any shots of the whole car - I'll add some of those in a few days:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6262643272_dc04aa3c18_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262643272/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6108/6262638692_1a2e81a259_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262638692/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6031/6262637770_a80a1b056b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6262637770/)

There are plenty of details to tend to still. But it feels good to achieve the first milestone ;ol;. Plus now I can drive and enjoy it while continuing to improve it. It doesn't have to sit. In the next few days I'll compile a list of the next things I'll do.

SPGreg
6th November 2011, 08:28 PM
Enjoyed a beautiful cool weekend in the Sport. Took it out both Saturday and Sunday to run some errands and enjoy the sunshine. Snapped a few pictures along the way. I really enjoy driving the 8v. It's not as ambitious as my SPGs but it cruises around town nicely.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6042/6320054593_46758aa626_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320054593/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6093/6320571776_1cc9cece9a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320571776/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/6320047567_7f09350d2a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320047567/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6094/6320043703_001fea3796_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320043703/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6320041401_3d1a65ee79_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320041401/)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6106/6320566646_4a3dc244f6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320566646/)

Here is a summary of what I've done so far. Lots of cosmetic work in bringing it back to its 1985 self (or something close to it). Thankfully I've not needed to do much mechanically.

DONE
-tracked down Clarion deck and equalizer from 1985 (positioned in dash but not wired in)
-replaced driver’s fender (rust)
-fixed other minor rust
-had the car completely re-sprayed
-installed the US style headlight assemblies
-cleaned the engine compartment
-cleaned the interior
-replaced the Saab hood and trunk emblems
-installed replacement "SPORT" emblem onto hatch
-fixed air leak in right rear tire
-lubed the manual sunroof
-re-covered the door cards, rear deck cover, and speaker surrounds
-replaced the passenger rear tail/signal light lens
-installed ducktail spoiler
-recovered hatch floor area (the large section)
-re-painted & installed black grille
-swapped out black grille for chrome grille
-re-sprayed louvers (but decided not to install them)
-replaced broken seat belt boot
-replaced gutter end caps
-re-installed window trim (fixed window rattle)
-removed dash ashtray & installed center console & accordion divider
-installed new gear shift cap
-sanded & installed aluminum trim on rear of driver’s door
-installed 3rd brake light in hatch
-hunted down some color-correct OEM floor mats

And here is a list of things I've yet to do:

TO DO
-fix wipers (a short somewhere keeps blowing the fuse)
-wire in the deck and EQ
-get some silicone vacuum hose
-fix very slow leak in right front tire
-re-paint some trim (interior and exterior)
-install “new” horns
-wire in parking lights
-wire in 3rd brake light
-make a velour dash cover
-fix water leak at windshield and driver’s door (I've done some of this already)
-tune it up
-shampoo the seats
-possibly install SPG springs (got some from MMOE)
-re-paint / refurbish the wheels (what color code are the Ronals?)
-fix the spring in the shifter (shifter feels a bit dislocated from this broken spring)
-install new chrome trim on hatch glass and windshield (also bumpers where necessary)
-source some replacment decals for the Ronal center caps
-replace some of the coolant / heater hoses - a few are ready to be refreshed

The picture below shows the replacement horns (the current ones look awful & only one of them works, weakly, so I sourced some decent era-correct replacements). I've painted the rear ashtray from the center console, just need to give it another coat. I intend to repaint the shifter housing as well. The main center console I may not paint - we'll see how it looks compared to the other items. The chrome window trim is ready, just waiting for warm weather before installing it.

The turbo pressure sensor is for my black SPG, whose APC solenoid has been doing some clicking lately... :o
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6218/6320575386_3e11d3d087_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6320575386/)

Not sure how much I'll get done over the winter. I'll likely post lots of pictures regardless of how much (or how little!) I get done. ;ol;

SPGreg
15th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Yesterday I took the '85 to the local 'We are many, we are Saabs' meet. Once again I enjoyed having it out on the road. I've taken it out every couple of weeks to keep it limber. But it has continued to run a bit sluggishly. It seems to lack pep - I've noticed an increasing amount of hesitation. Also my mileage hasn't been great. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a number of items (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, plus some other things) so that I'd be ready to service the car when I got the chance.

This morning when I started it up it ran fine for a few minutes, then started running rough like it might stall, rougher than I've ever seen it run. I revved the motor a bit, thinking it was just cold, but it came close to stalling. After a minute I noticed a burning smell, very faint, so I shut off the motor. But everything looked good - lots of coolant, plenty of oil, nothing obviously wrong with the electrical. So I started it up again.

After another couple of minutes, smoke appeared in front of the firewall on the passenger side. I shut off the car again. I thought maybe the power steering pump was burning up or something. The smoke got worse quickly, as did the smell. But the power steering pump looked fine and the smoke was actually coming from underneath the car. When I bent down to look, I saw my cat was glowing BRIGHT BRIGHT orange and smoking VERY heavily.

Had I let the car run any longer I'm confident it would have caught on fire. Thankfully that didn't happen. Thankfully, too, I was parked on cement, not on dry grass. The smoke eventually subsided and the glow went away. Once everything had cooled down safely (and my heart had stopped racing!), I went inside to do some research.

From the posts I've read on here and elsewhere, my cat is toast. Thinking back, I'd heard some faint sounds, very brief, like glass breaking. I now believe the sound was the inside of the cat shattering in the heat. I also suspect (given my poor mileage) that the car has been running rich & this (along with the age of the cat) probably contributed to the cat failure. I'll need to check Mr. Wall's records but I doubt the cat has ever been replaced, since the area where he lived does not require emissions testing; it's only required in larger metropolitan areas here.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6704207361_4e535b7cea_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6704207361/)

So I'll need to replace the cat. Before I do this I will install the service items to ensure the car will run correctly. I don't want to wreck the next cat by running the car too rich.

I'm also hoping nothing else was damaged by the heat. :o

TunnanXWD
15th January 2012, 08:40 PM
Very nice! If you are going to try to bring back the bumpers to the original black, use anything but ... Mothers Back To Black ... IT SUCKS and your car will be streaky the first wet days.

Look up a few other posts on this and I believe other folks have used Forever Black with good results.

Yeah, I took the "advice" of the guy in Auto Zone and bought the Mothers, that was a major error. The first day or so it looked great but the first time it got wet? Yeeech!

That would "balance" out the black of the grille too. The Forever Black will be harder to find buy worth looking.

Did you ever find out any specifics on the Sport package?

SPGreg
15th January 2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Tunnan! I'll remember that product when the time comes. I remember seeing some recommendations for bumper paint - I'll dig through the archives as well. Can't wait for summer - winter kills projects!

I've not found anything definitive on the Sport package. I believe it was Canadian and included the manual sunroof and the Ronal wheels, a few distinct color choices (red, black, silver among them), plus the badge that says SPORT (!), and also that production went from '84 to maybe '89 or '90, not sure what else. I'm hoping to eventually find some Canadian dealer literature from back in the day, though that seems unlikely. I don't think there's a ton more to find out.

SPGreg
10th April 2012, 01:52 AM
Got some decent weather so did some work on the Mr. Wall's '85.

Borrowed a neighbor's sawzall & cut out the cat. Needed to use a small hacksaw for the bolts. My neck is sore from lying under the car & all the weird angles (hacksaw blade went dull quickly & I didn't want to quit to get another one, so the hand cutting took a while:cry:).

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5155/7063459611_f8cc8798eb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7063459611/)

Before I ran the car I replaced a bunch of maintenance items including the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, filter, air filter, and O2 sensor. Also replaced several vac hoses.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/6917376908_61bbdbb727_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6917376908/)

I also set the timing. Couldn't see the timing marks very well so removed the clutch cover and marked 20 deg BTDC on the flywheel using white out. Cleaned the clutch cover while it was out. Also discovered there was only one (of three) bolts holding the clutch cover on. That explained the minor rattle I was hearing. So I found some spare bolts & attached the positive cable to all three bolt mounts once again as it should be.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5326/6917379438_bfb175427c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/6917379438/)

Took it out for a run - all is good! Idle is nice and low. The to-do list hasn't changed much:

-replace all heater & coolant hoses (many look thin so I sourced replacements) & also the expansion tank (proactively & also to look new)
-install new belts
-reseal the windshield (I will try a window resealant, which I've read on SC can do the job; anybody have any experience with these? Product recommendations?)
-install windshield trim & rear window trim (fresh chrome!) - waiting for warmer weather so the adhesive works its best
-replace current chrome bumper strips
-More engine compartment cleanup
-wire my deck & stereo in
-install the shifter centering spring (current one is broken so shifter is floppy)
-etc.

One longer term thing I'm considering is to refinish the wheels. I'd like to machine the lips of the Ronals. Maybe next year.

Looking forward to nicer weather again & to giving Mr. Wall's Saab some attention once more.

SPGreg
13th May 2012, 01:22 PM
Yesterday I replaced the old rear window trim with fresh new trim. It took me a couple of ours, longer than I thought it would take, but I'm pleased with the results.

Before (all yellowy brown):
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6125/5986536404_7e497126d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986536404/)

After (chrome!):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7189672980_c02206c013_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7189672980/)

The work is painstaking. You have to force the trim into the channel using your thumb and a small tool (I used a tiny flathead screwdriver). Fifteen hours later my thumb is still numb from pressing bit after bit of the trim into the channel. But it turned out good.

I haven't done the windshield yet - need to sort the leak first. I will post pictures once it's done.

One little thing at a time...

Squaab99t
13th May 2012, 01:54 PM
Yesterday I replaced the old rear window trim with fresh new trim. It took me a couple of ours, longer than I thought it would take, but I'm pleased with the results.

After (chrome!):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7189672980_c02206c013_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7189672980/)

The work is painstaking. You have to force the trim into the channel using your thumb and a small tool (I used a tiny flathead screwdriver). Fifteen hours later my thumb is still numb from pressing bit after bit of the trim into the channel. But it turned out good.

I haven't done the windshield yet - need to sort the leak first. I will post pictures once it's done.

Very nice... My I ask where you found a replacement trim? OEM or aftermarket? One of my fears on replacement is driving a tool right into the glass.

dmgb5
13th May 2012, 02:06 PM

Before (all yellowy brown):
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6125/5986536404_7e497126d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/5986536404/)

After (chrome!):

Nice work. ;ol; Looks much better. Hopefully it will last for more then a couple years before fading.

FYI: It would have taken 20 minutes top if you had pulled the rear windscreen out to replace and refit the trim.

SPGreg
13th May 2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys!

Squaab99t: I found this saabnet thread some time ago and ordered the after-market trim last year from a place called sportwing (their website link is in the thread):

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/chrome.html

I know what you mean about a tool slipping. I didn't break the glass but I did nick the paint a time or two :evil:. Nothing too noticeable but still frustrating.

The saabnet guy uses a putty knife and a bunch of other tools. My putty knife was too flimsy so I went with a small screwdriver. I didn't need the other tools. I used a boxcutter to trim back the ends for the cap in the middle & this worked easily. The saabnet guy managed to insert an inch at a time but I was getting about a quarter inch, which made for slow work. It helped me to learn that even the small screwdriver could get the trim to flex into a bit of a 'u' shape. So instead of having to pull the black rubber trim extremely far outward to fit the chrome in, I could bend the chrome trim downward and force it into the channel.

I also found it easiest to insert the outside edge of the chrome into the channel first and force the inside edge into the channel with the screwdriver. This made the corners in particular easier.

Dmgb5: Hadn't thought of removing the rear glass. It's not something I've done before and given the leaks I've got in the windshield / windscreen, I wouldn't want to create any issues at the back. But I suppose if it's something a person has done before and is comfortable with, then pulling the glass could be a real time saver. On the positive side it was a beautiful evening to be outside working on the car, even if it took longer than I'd anticipated - man, I'm loving this sunny northwest weather! Finally!

And yes, I hope the new chrome lasts!

white65
13th May 2012, 06:52 PM
Try using one of the little plastic trim pry bars they have for interior work. I used that tool, liberal amounts of WD-40 and it eased the pain of the install.

SPGreg
14th May 2012, 03:19 PM
Try using one of the little plastic trim pry bars they have for interior work. I used that tool, liberal amounts of WD-40 and it eased the pain of the install.

Thanks. I looked online after I read your post and found there were bunch of different tools for interior work. Do you have a pic (or can you post a link) showing the actual tool you used?

My thumb is actually still numb. Almost like it would feel if I'd wacked it with a hammer. :o

white65
14th May 2012, 08:06 PM
Sure I can. I get a lot of use out of them. I have the Advance Auto ones, and used the one in the middle for the window trim.

From Advance Auto: (but the $23.19 price tag seems kinda high to me!)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3376R/large/28030045_otc_otc4489_pri_larg.jpg

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/image-4145518-10720525http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Auto-Fastener-Remover-OTC_28030045-P_N3376R_T|GRP2006_____ (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-4145518-10720525?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.advanceautoparts.co m%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fproduct_Auto-Fastener-Remover-OTC_28030045-P_N3376R_T%7CGRP2006_____)

Or from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13407.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-95214.html

Don't ever buy From Auto Zone. They have lousy and unreasonable return policies.

SPGreg
14th May 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks white65!

mmoe
15th May 2012, 11:17 AM
Saabs just look great in silver and yours in no exception! If you want them, you're welcome to take my '85 Saab factory Clarion head cleaning kit along with a like new '85 Saab manual (in a like new original case). Both items came with an '85 that I scrapped a while back and were stored in the previous (and original) owners house instead of in the car, so they are as close to factory new as possible. Let me know if you'd like them next time you're down and you can just have them. I don't think I'll ever have another '85, so I've got no plans for them.

SPGreg
15th May 2012, 12:03 PM
Saabs just look great in silver and yours in no exception! If you want them, you're welcome to take my '85 Saab factory Clarion head cleaning kit along with a like new '85 Saab manual (in a like new original case). Both items came with an '85 that I scrapped a while back and were stored in the previous (and original) owners house instead of in the car, so they are as close to factory new as possible. Let me know if you'd like them next time you're down and you can just have them. I don't think I'll ever have another '85, so I've got no plans for them.

That's awesome, thanks Mmoe!

SPGreg
28th May 2012, 12:33 AM
Beautiful dry weekend - got some things done. The muffler went on my black SPG so had to swap in a good muffler from a parts car before I could get to Mr. Wall's Sport:

Finally replaced the heater / coolant hoses (all of them). Also put in a new expansion tank, 82 deg. fan switch and 82 deg. thermostat. Freshened some of the clamps as well.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7284307222_7a2ed2dc51_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7284307222/)

I had managed to track down a NOS upshift sensor so I threw that in while I was at it.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7284308954_14d3fce13e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7284308954/)

Cleaned up the nest of grounds on the front cross member plus the large ground on the block. Might have been my imagination but after that the car seemed to start and run smoother.

I had replacement alternator and power steering belts ready but the current belts actually look pretty good so I set the new ones aside.

Lastly, I fiddled with the idle - just a tweak for good measure. No problem there.

A good Saab day!

AUSSIE900
28th May 2012, 01:09 AM
I had managed to track down a NOS upshift sensor so I threw that in while I was at it.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7284308954_14d3fce13e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/7284308954/)

If you look at the wiring to the Sensor in this picture .... You will see exactly what I describe as Biodegradeable wiring , this unfortunately appears to be very common on the 85 models .
The insulation crumbles and can create all sorts of issues . Not wanting to scare or alarm , but it would pay to peel open the main engine bay wiring loom and have a close look .. Forewarned , fore armed ...

Good job on the car to date , keep up the great work ... Mr Wall is most impressed :lol:

jskrebs
28th May 2012, 07:52 AM
Not wanting to scare or alarm , but it would pay to peel open the main engine bay wiring loom and have a close look .. Forewarned , fore armed ...

I have my 85 harness out of the car on a large table and have stripped all the wrapping off of it. It appears that the wire insulation degrades primarily outside the wrapping, inside it is in pretty good condition. My plan is to replace/Splice all the degraded wires. Soldering and heat shrink tubing then wrap the whole thing up with harness tape. A huge job to be sure.

Jeff

AUSSIE900
28th May 2012, 09:53 AM
I have my 85 harness out of the car on a large table and have stripped all the wrapping off of it. It appears that the wire insulation degrades primarily outside the wrapping, inside it is in pretty good condition. My plan is to replace/Splice all the degraded wires. Soldering and heat shrink tubing then wrap the whole thing up with harness tape. A huge job to be sure.

Jeff

Then I think you are lucky Jeff :) I have certainly seen severe deterioration inside the wrapped loom , no doubt it can be more severe outside as it is more exposed to moisture , heat , but rest assured it will degrade inside a loom .

The best fix is very much what you describe .. Get the harness out of the car ... Lay it out on a large board ..stretch to extremities and fix .. then start making new wires piece by piece , Splices , solder , heat shrink , Wrap . sounds hard , but can be done in a night of watching the Tv :)

SPGreg
28th May 2012, 12:40 PM
My first '85 Sport had electrical gremlins and was only 4 years old when I owned it. Already the wiring had begun to disintegrate, only then I didn't know it. I had no-start issues several times. I likely would have kept the car had it not been a bit flakey. Still, I wish I knew where that car ended up.

I wondered if anyone would comment on that wire. I cringe looking at it. At some point I'll tend to the wiring (I noticed some insulation under the back seat is crumbling as well).

The endless list is endless! Thankfully the Sport isn't my daily driver - a bit less worry that way. But I'm definitely keeping my eye out for crumbling insulation.

SPGreg
20th October 2012, 07:12 PM
Today I sold the silver Sport. I had placed an ad almost two months ago and actually sold the car within two days of placing the ad, but the buyers were from central Canada and only now were able to come pick it up. The new owner is a Saab guy who has owned a number of c900s including another '85 Sport like mine but red & also an '83 turbo. He bought my Sport for his 60th birthday.

Pretty much the last thing I did before selling it was install the new chrome trim on the windshield. It didn't take nearly as long as the rear trim took, I guess I got better at it. But it was still painstaking. I didn't get any final pictures.

I didn't intend to sell the Sport. However, one Sunday in late August an ad popped up in Portland, Oregon for a car I've always wanted: a beryl green 1991 SPG. I didn't think I had a snowball's chance at it, given how rare these things are. Surely another west coaster would snap it up before me. But I flipped the owner a note saying let me know if it was still for sale by the following Saturday (Labor Day weekend). She wrote back mid-week saying it was.

Long story short - my wife and I made the 5 hour trip down on Labour Day weekend, picked it up and drove it home no problem. I'm pretty thrilled. It needs some things but I got it for a reasonable nickel. It's definitely a keeper. But unfortunately I had to say goodbye to the Sport.

I'll start a project thread for the Beryl eventually but in the meantime here are a couple of pics:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8106741380_f7168fabb4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/8106741380/)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8467/8106740080_b7ba1e0df9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/8106740080/)

900t
20th October 2012, 09:28 PM
Nice paint! Does it have the British speedometer? (km on the outer ring, and goes to 150)

SPGreg
22nd October 2012, 12:06 PM
Nice paint! Does it have the British speedometer? (km on the outer ring, and goes to 150)

Thanks! The paint is nice. Very few dings though the PO hip-checked the passenger door closed once & left a small round dent. And below it are a few door dings though the protective trim did its job as far as the paint is concerned. The car spent an abundant amount of time in California so is probably somewhat faded but I'm hoping a good polish will bring it out.

The speedo goes up to 140 MPH - don't remember if there's a dot afterward to indicate 150. And yes, the KMs are on the outer ring.

Holy cow - you have almost 18,000 posts!

dmgb5
22nd October 2012, 03:50 PM
Today I sold the silver Sport. I had placed an ad almost two months ago and actually sold the car within two days of placing the ad, but the buyers were from central Canada and only now were able to come pick it up. The new owner is a Saab guy who has owned a number of c900s including another '85 Sport like mine but red & also an '83 turbo. He bought my Sport for his 60th birthday.

Pretty much the last thing I did before selling it was install the new chrome trim on the windshield. It didn't take nearly as long as the rear trim took, I guess I got better at it. But it was still painstaking. I didn't get any final pictures.

I didn't intend to sell the Sport. However, one Sunday in late August an ad popped up in Portland, Oregon for a car I've always wanted: a beryl green 1991 SPG. I didn't think I had a snowball's chance at it, given how rare these things are. Surely another west coaster would snap it up before me. But I flipped the owner a note saying let me know if it was still for sale by the following Saturday (Labor Day weekend). She wrote back mid-week saying it was.

Long story short - my wife and I made the 5 hour trip down on Labour Day weekend, picked it up and drove it home no problem. I'm pretty thrilled. It needs some things but I got it for a reasonable nickel. It's definitely a keeper. But unfortunately I had to say goodbye to the Sport.

I'll start a project thread for the Beryl eventually but in the meantime here are a couple of pics:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8106741380_f7168fabb4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/8106741380/)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8467/8106740080_b7ba1e0df9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spgreg/8106740080/)

Nice!:D I remember seeing this one and thinking I should enquire about it but I was to busy at the time and never followed up. Glad to see it went to a good home.

SPGreg
22nd October 2012, 06:59 PM
Nice!:D I remember seeing this one and thinking I should enquire about it but I was to busy at the time and never followed up. Glad to see it went to a good home.

Ha, thanks! You were definitely among the west coasters I thought might be interested.

The PO was also happy it was going to a good home. It wasn't her first Saab.

Hot Blooded
27th January 2013, 06:12 PM
Sorry to drag this thread up from the boneyard, but I just wanted to share a funny story.

I don't think you realize how close you were to NOT owning this car!

When I was looking for my first cab, I had a similar story to you about emailing back and forth with that shop teacher. Finally got him on the phone, decided this was the Saab for me, and made an appointment to go over to the Island to pick it up. I organized a day off of work and school to make the trip.

The day of the trip I woke up, got my stuff ready (basic toolkit, an old plate to slink back home) and walked down the hill to the bus stop. I had to take the bus, the skytrain, then another bus to Nanaimo and then the ferry, and another bus to the high school. I had the route planned out, with a small margin for error.

I walked down to the bus stop and waited. I had my $3. I rarely take the bus, but of course I couldn't drive two cars back home, so it was my only choice.

So I'm sitting at the bus stop with my bag of ****, my iPod, in the rain - and I see my bus coming. The bus turns. Right before the stop I'm waiting at. And drives down the other street. What???

So I double check my route. I'm at the right stop number. I ask an old lady (they always know); I'm at the right stop. But the bus took a turn. Maybe a detour? I don't know what to do. But I left a buffer zone, so I'm good. I go over to the other bus stop and wait for the next one.

The next one comes.... to the other stop. I run after it, but it's not damn use. It pulls away.

So now I look at the clock. I've missed two busses, which means I've missed my ferry sailing. The guy was already waiting an extra hour after he was done work to meet me, and I've missed the ferry sailing, putting me hours behind. So I gave up, extremely (extremely) frustrated. I don't think I'd ever been that frustrated, so I just gave up on the whole endeavor.