Working out BHP [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Working out BHP

Steve_b
23rd January 2004, 08:35 AM
Hi I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone knew the answer to the following:

I have purchased a Saab Vector 2.0t (175bhp). It doesn't seem as powerful as I'd thought. How can I work out whether the car is 175bhp or isn't a 1.8t (150bhp) unit rebadged as a 2.0t....call me cynical.

I asked Saab the same question and they said, take it to your nearest dealer!!!!! Surely it should be easier than that.

Thanks

Steve

SS
24th January 2004, 02:31 AM
I aint sure about this, BUT, if you have the turbo gauge next to your other clocks then it is a 2.0t, but if you dont, then its a 1.8t. Thats my guess!! Goodluck!

Steve_b
25th January 2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply but I took a peak at somebody else's 1.8t today without trying to look like a thief and the turbo gauge was in the same position as mine, so not conclusive. Besides I would have thought that keeping the same instrument display for all cars would be a good cost saving exercise.

I think I may have to go to a dealer to find out as both 1.8t and 2.0t engines are technically identical except for the booster pressure!!!!!!

MikeHart
25th January 2004, 04:18 PM
TBH the 1.8t should not have the boost gauge. In the brochure it makes a point of saying that the it's only the 2.0t and 2.0T that have it. Other than that, the only other thing I can say is that when I test drove a 1.8t you could feel it knock the boost back quite obviously when accelerating hard. It was like the engine wanted to give more but was being reigned in.

Steve_b
26th January 2004, 05:11 PM
You could be right, I was looking at the instrument panel set-up which was the same, the turbo gauge may not have been there. I suppose I could acquaint myself with the owner and take a closer look :)

mav238
28th January 2004, 02:14 PM
You could be right, I was looking at the instrument panel set-up which was the same, the turbo gauge may not have been there. I suppose I could acquaint myself with the owner and take a closer look :)

What kind of performance are you expecting from the 2.0t? 175hp and 200lb/ft torque is not high performance but does give some spirited driving. Do you have a 5-speed or sentronic? If you have a sentronic, then if you try to assess the performance of the 2.0t with it in automode, then you will be quite disappointed with the performance. The sentronic automode really does not make good use of the torque in the engine.

If you are using a 5-speed and still feel that the performance is below what you are expecting, maybe check out a similarly powered car and try to compare apples with apples.

I want to think my car is underpowered, by the numbers, but I am quite happy with it thus far, accepting it for what the engine can give out.