Chipping [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Chipping

jim_mcghee
09-05-02, 05:00 PM
Hi
can I chip my 1990 900i 8v non Turbo?
or is there better ways to boost performance?
Jim

Simon
10-05-02, 03:14 AM
You could try a free flow exhaust and air filter. This may give you an extra 10Bhp?

Simon.

Fan-TC
10-05-02, 09:45 PM
Why is everybody so NOS shy....

Well i will say it, get NOS.....

It is not as big and scary as everybody thinks. I set one up on a supercharged 3.8L V6 to run up to 50hp jetting. (i set up the supercharger as well previously)

Sure we run very much on the rich side of things but we experienced a large power increase on a fairly modest budget.

Davess4
10-05-02, 10:12 PM
To be honest I have always been scared of NOS. It seems... dangerous. Is it hard to set up?

Fan-TC
12-05-02, 01:33 AM
It is not particularly hard to setup as long as you purchase a kit.

We set it up on the car mentioned as an alternative to water injection. The power increase was far bigger than water injection would offer.

We borrowed a highly sensitive A/F meter. This run off an external high quality lambda that we installed. Using this we setup 15hp with suggested jets (using +1 fuel).

This returned far too rich so we used suggested fuel jet. this was also too rich but was good for safety.

We then did similar with 25hp jets. (which we eventually left for general use). This time we ended with a slightly drilled -1 fuel jet.

I did install the 50hp jetting and fuel jet. With this jet settings were too rich but we soon decided that we did not want that much power (or to use that much NOS so quickly).

So with the 25hp jet, drilled -1 fuel jet we setup a safety switch which measured the new lambda's voltage and cut the nos as soon as it measured fuel ratio any leaneer than 11.8:1.

All our testing was done on the road on a warm day 30degrees celcius.

The car ran with this configuration for 2 months until written off by my friend (car owner).

Obviously the Nos wasn't used all the time as it is illegal on the road.

We found it fairly easy and straight forward to setup.
If you are scared to play with it yourself why not pay a workshop to set it up on a dyno for you....

jim_mcghee
15-05-02, 12:00 PM
Hi, ok. I also have a 1990 9000CDi breaking, anything off of that i can put on mu 900i ?
Jim