Fitting APC To LPT. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Fitting APC To LPT.

Pedro23
9th May 2002, 04:24 PM
I'm going to fit an apc system to my LPT aero,and was woundering what would be the steps taken. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Pedro23
11th May 2002, 05:30 PM
come on guys!! i waz adviced to retro fit an apc to my lpt,but as im not a mechanic i ain't a clue.........so come on back with your thoughts.
Thanks

Janne Selinummi
11th May 2002, 05:57 PM
There's a knock sensor fitted to the engine block, on the inlet side, that "tells" the APC when knock occurs - this sensor shouldn't be too difficult to fit.

Otherways I'm not very well informed about the parts and components the APC consists of, but you will need correct wiring, pressure hoses and solenoid valve in addition to the APC box and knock sensor.

Those in the know, please contribute!

Pedro23
11th May 2002, 06:44 PM
Blimming eck! that sounds abit of a job dunna it.i assumed that this conversion was easy to do .I will await a more knowledgable
reply.
thanks very much Janna,very helpful..cheers!

Fred
12th May 2002, 04:24 AM
This is the how to do it instructions for a Volvo ( I thought John W had posted this already) Lots of wires, but nothing invasive.
http://www.users.qwest.net/~qed/volvoapc/index.html

Pedro23
13th May 2002, 10:59 AM
cheers fred,exellent site you recommended,u da man,thanks very much.
all i need now is an apc system..

Fred
13th May 2002, 12:13 PM
I don't know how you're fixed for garage space, but I'd buy an MOT fail (or one with duff gearbox) with APC. That way you've got time to strip out the apc and all the little bits you didn't know you needed. You also know if it worked before you put it on your car. You could also get one with an intercooler - which is easier to fit than the APC (if you have the right radiator bottom hose).
http://www.saabnet.com/sites/8vintercool/

Pedro23
15th May 2002, 06:32 AM
i have been keeping a look out for a spares or repair jobie but as of yet hav'ent found one close by.(i live in devon)
i have bought an intercooler from simon but thought i needed an i/c and apc?...as i am in no rush i think i will take your advice fred and seek a spares or repair!
my aero is a 92..do you know if any saab turbo parts will fit or do i need a specific year/model

Pedro23
15th May 2002, 09:22 AM
I have today been offered a 88 saab 9000 turbo for spares but don't know if apc will fit my 92 900areo?
or indeed any other parts which could come in useful.
if you know i would be very grateful.
cheers guys.

Johann F
15th May 2002, 10:22 AM
The components should be the same but the wiring will be different lengths - not a big job to resize it though. If the 9k is cheap enough -ie free then go for it. The only common part of signifigance is the engine but I also believe the front calipers can be made to fit and are usefull as they have a bigger pad area.

Pedro23
15th May 2002, 06:21 PM
What about 87 saab900turbo?
am woundering if this would be a better option to the 9000?
would the apc fit my 92aero?so many options!!
a knowlegable reply would be very gratefully recieved.
Thankyou.

tom
16th May 2002, 12:28 AM
The APC unit from a 9k will fit 900 from 1986 on. (they have newer APC-unit fitted in the left wheelwell). The 9k unit has a bit different adjustments, so tweaking is necessary. the 9k and 900 engineblock and cylinder head are the same, so I would imagine the other APC bits would fit with no problem. That's if you have a 16V 900.

Johann F
16th May 2002, 04:03 AM
An 87 900 apc system will be a straight swop as far as components and wiring go - if it's an 8v though the APC unit will need adjustment to bring it up to 16v spec - possibly just the pots? I would have thought even if the APC needs resetting it would be preferable as you won't have to mess about with changing the loom lengths. You can also get the right hand instrument cluster out of the dash and get yourself boost guage! Not all but many more parts from an 87 900 are transferable/salvagable to your 92 than from a 9k. (different parts are the seats and mountings and the brakes/hubs)

Pedro23
16th May 2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks very much Johann!i reakon i'll go with the 87 900turbo.boost gauge and all!!
exellent advice as usual.i'll keep you posted...
Excellent advice as usual.

Cheers all.