Yoda [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Yoda

one more
18-04-11, 05:25 AM
ok so I decided to set up a project thread.

Mostly because
I'm still learning and have lots of Questions and I
Like the idea of having everything in one place,
I also like the idea of seeing my car progress and what better way to reflect learn and enjoy than on a thread dedicated to my saab and my stuff ups ;)
So I will shortly put some more photos and stories on what has happened so far, what mods Iv'e done and my plans for the future ;)

one more
06-06-11, 08:52 PM
A few weeks ago on a trip to Melbourne my car got incredible shakes thought it was wheel balanced and had the wheels rebalanced, problem went away, but has since returned, thought weights had come off switched tyres, car didn’t shake for a while, but has returned since.

I have now realized it is an intermittent problem.

Symptoms

When this happens!!
Car starts noticeably shaking at 80kms per hour gets to the point where the passenger seat shakes as does the bonnet from side to side, it’s not Vibration it’s a fast shake but does increase with car speed.
It shakes when maintaining a speed tends to stop when accelerating or de-accelerating, disengaging clutch makes no difference.
Can’t tell which side it comes from, can feel it through the seat, the pedal can see the bonnet and passenger seat shake, can even on occasion hear the rear muffler bang against car. EVERYTHING SHAKES. This can continue for 100’s of K’s
Yet sometimes it can be fine for 200k’s or more.
Have checked underneath nothing notably loose shockers are good.
Assuming it must be a driveshaft somehow flopping to one side and creating a massive imbalance but doesn’t seem to be anything wrong drive shafts don’t clunk around corners, I know of someone who had the rollers in two of the three bearing in the driveshaft missing it only clunked around corners. So it seems hard to imagine why mine is doing this.

Perhaps driveshafts?

Mine is a 1993 Lucas turbo! The engine mounts are different to my father’s 1990 Saab and my 1980 Saabs
Maybe engine mount, could it be front engine mount? But how would it build up a shake side to side. I have checked rear engine mount they are fine, front one is different and appears to be able to slide side to side but I assume this is meant to be like this.

one more
13-06-11, 10:52 PM
Missed a stuffed engine mount :roll:

Iv'e decided I want to install a un cracked Dash I picked up.

anyone done this before be able to give me some pointers?

My car has the gauge cluster, radio and surounds removed atm (trying to figure out why my fuel gauge isnt working) So I thought its as good a time as any to put a new dash in :lol:

dmgb5
14-06-11, 12:03 AM
Its been a while since I've replaced a dashboard. But you'll need a pen and some tape that you can write on. First remove the steering wheel. Next remove the long screws holding the dash to the dashboard. Disconnect all the switches and knobs and label them with your pen and tape. Remove the dash. Remove the the front speakers. Remove the (T25/30?) screw in each speaker cavity. Then remove the (T25/30?) two screws underneath the glove box and above the knee bolster/roll.
I think thats it.:confused: Then pull the dashboard out but remember to disconnect the glove box bulb before taking the dashboard out all the way. And done. :cool: Enjoy a cup of tea. Installation should be the reverse.

one more
14-06-11, 12:13 AM
Its been a while since I've replaced a dashboard. But you'll need a pen and some tape that you can write on. First remove the steering wheel. Next remove the long screws holding the dash to the dashboard. Disconnect all the switches and knobs and label them with your pen and tape. Remove the dash. Remove the the front speakers. Remove the (T25/30?) screw in each speaker cavity. Then remove the (T25/30?) two screws underneath the glove box and above the knee bolster/roll.
I think thats it.:confused: Then pull the dashboard out but remember to disconnect the glove box bulb before taking the dashboard out all the way. And done. :cool: Enjoy a cup of tea. Installation should be the reverse.

Thanks!!

All done Figured it out, except I only undid the air control dial, and the switches next to the driver, then just removed the whole top by pulling it forward, the controls etc just went through the hole, so all in all undid 5 plugs :cheesy:!!

But on a side note, I replaced the glovebox door with the one that was in my car, and once I put it all back together I realise that the dash is a different colour, Its black my other dash was alot lighter kind of a dark grey, I wouldnt have noticed except that the door makes it so damn obviouse.

I went to put the door that came with the dash on, but it looks as though it was replaced as it is the same colour (dark grey) so!!:roll:

I guess I will look out for a dark glove door! until then:confused:

dmgb5
14-06-11, 12:53 AM
:confused: Hmm... I have noticed the difference in colour too. I have found that the older dashboards are often black. While the newer ones are usually a dark grey. Maybe they changed dash materials and the newer ones are just sun faded. I don't know.:confused: Good work on the dashboard replacement . That was fast. It took me a couple hours my first go at it.:roll: