Retro Cars Show - July 4th, Santa Pod [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Retro Cars Show - July 4th, Santa Pod

heavy_t
19-01-04, 07:10 AM
Is anyone interested in going to this? It's a long way off but I thought it might be something for the 99Ts and c900 Turbos..........

http://www.retrocarsshow.co.uk/

Tom

Mark P
19-01-04, 07:47 AM
Might be worth a look.

I might fancy camping the night before too. There must be an opportunity for an SC mini meet in there somewhere... :cheesy:

Where is Santa Pod btw? :oops:

Stuart
19-01-04, 07:55 AM
Where is Santa Pod btw? :oops:

http://www.retrocarsshow.co.uk/directions.html :lol:

Mark P
19-01-04, 08:00 AM
Just off to stand over there in the corner. :oops:

Ken
19-01-04, 10:09 AM
I notice on the 'club' page that three Saab clubs have been invited, I guess whether they'll be there or not is a different matter.

Matthew
19-01-04, 11:12 AM
I notice on the 'club' page that three Saab clubs have been invited, I guess whether they'll be there or not is a different matter.
Could be an excuse for an official SaabCentral presence :)

nutcase
19-01-04, 12:20 PM
Mmmmm....

might be interested. Car permitting!

pda
19-01-04, 12:58 PM
Sounds good :cheesy:
its not to far from me, about 60 miles or so....

Paul

SteveS
19-01-04, 01:44 PM
looks like it could be a massive event. SC should really get in on the action 8)

heavy_t
19-01-04, 02:31 PM
I'd be up for displaying my car if we had some sort of official SC presence (it might look halfway presentable by then :wink: ). Maybe a 99T and a couple of c900 Turbos would go down a treat at something like that I reckon......

I'll try and get in touch with them tomorrow.....

Mark P
19-01-04, 02:47 PM
It'd be a great forum for the first public outing of Nutcase's 99T don't you think? :wink: :cheesy:

heavy_t
19-01-04, 03:36 PM
It'd be a great forum for the first public outing of Nutcase's 99T don't you think? :wink: :cheesy:

No Mark, this event is in 2004 :cheesy: :cheesy:

Inspector Gadget
19-01-04, 04:42 PM
I might take the Skoda for a whiz up the runway... :)

Iggy

john-w
19-01-04, 07:36 PM

No Mark, this event is in 2004 :cheesy: :cheesy:

Don't be like that! I went around Richard's (nutcase) tonight, he showed me his nice new axle, all powdercoated and assembled.

Only trouble is, it's 40ft away from his car :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

heavy_t
20-01-04, 04:45 AM
I've given them a call and they said that the booking form on the web is exactly what they'd send out anyway so I'm going to send it back soon. I was thinking about perhaps having three or four cars on the stand. Advance tickets are 6.50 and they will supply vehicle passes as required (not more than advance tickets though).

I suppose mine is kind of modified (alloys, turbo steering wheel, rev counter :oops: ) but I'm hoping by then to have poly bushes, K&N air filter and possibly twin carb conversion.

Anyone else want to volunteer to display their car? One or two c900s, maybe an older 9000 or hopefully a V4 if anyone has a modded example.......

[1] - Tom, 1973 Saab 99L 2.0

nutcase
20-01-04, 12:50 PM

No Mark, this event is in 2004 :cheesy: :cheesy: :evil:

I'll register interest when it's on the road!

garry
20-01-04, 06:55 PM
hmm.. this >could< be the first outing for our 99gl. It wont be anything to look at but MOT standard would be an achievement in itself :)
Going to be a propa car by the time of Gordy's Scottish trip though.

pda
25-01-04, 03:23 PM
I suppose mine is kind of modified (alloys, turbo steering wheel, rev counter :oops: ) but I'm hoping by then to have poly bushes, K&N air filter and possibly twin carb conversion.

Anyone else want to volunteer to display their car? One or two c900s, maybe an older 9000 or hopefully a V4 if anyone has a modded example.......

[1] - Tom, 1973 Saab 99L 2.0

1.Tom, 1973 saab 99l 2.0
2.Paul (pda) 1987 T8 Cirrus white

tandino
26-01-04, 02:20 PM
I will try to make it along :cheesy:

1.Tom, 1973 saab 99l 2.0
2.Paul (pda) 1987 T8 Cirrus white
3.Pete Tandino - you know my car :!

spence
01-02-04, 03:57 PM
sounds like fun could bring mine if its good enough :roll: camping sound a laugh :wink:

MeatballTurbo
02-02-04, 05:14 AM
I've been thinking about it if I can get the Car PC up and running again by then.

Only mods are a cheap RaceX cone filter, a shiny Bailey dump valve (thats hidden by pipework anyway), and lots of blue vac hose that is getting very dirty very quickly, and a set of Gaz shocks.

Thing is, it's the Saabscene Trackday the following weekend (they moved it) and i might have problems explaining the SWMBO why I'm out for two seperate weekends.

heavy_t
11-02-04, 03:22 PM
I got some bumf through the post about this today, and I'm gonig to send off for the tickets by the end of the week. So far we have three people who want to display their cars, does anyone need a second ticket for a friend/partner? Tickets (for displaying) are 6.50. I will probably book space for four cars and get a couple of extra tickets in case anyone else joins late......... Maybe Tone would like to display his 99T? :wink:

I'll give it until Friday and wait for some replies and then start booking.

BTW Pete or Paul, do either of you have a fire extinguisher? As we would need one for the display area. If not I'll get one from Halfrauds.

Anyone knwo who's got the Saab Central marquee at the moment?

tandino
11-02-04, 03:25 PM
Tom,

I did have a Fire Extinguisher - ill have a dig round the garage tomorrrow and see if its tucked away somewhere....
Ive now got to think which car do i bring along :o

Pete.

heavy_t
11-02-04, 03:39 PM
MOT time on Friday and if it gets through okay I'm going to be VERY tempted by that Turbo conversion that I sometimes dream of. The local capheads need teaching a lesson! :wink:

pda
11-02-04, 03:51 PM
Hi Tom,
I can get a couple of Fire Extinguishers for the display
if that helps...

Paul

nutcase
11-02-04, 06:21 PM
If I were be able to make it I would definitely be a relatively last minute entry. However, for 6.50 I might just say yes anyway! Tom, can you PM me details, ta.

Munki
11-02-04, 07:51 PM
Big Nev

pedromidus
13-02-04, 10:47 AM
I would be interested to put my Carlsson on the stand. Pete T can vouch for the condition of the car but the level of modding is zero with the exception of the Abbott springs. By June should have JT 3 and soft bend, Subaru Chargecooler and FM air box though. BTW Pete what is the other car you refer to?

Have I missed the boat.

spence
13-02-04, 12:45 PM
i could bring mine down to show pretty stock [fse] to make up numbers
spence :P

Dave B
15-02-04, 01:38 PM
Hi Tom,

I'll come along too.

Dave

heavy_t
16-02-04, 05:04 AM
The number of cars per club is not limited so the more the merrier I guess :D It is however a relatively small venue and the tickets are allocated on a first come first served basis. Bearing this in mind I want to get ours booked by Feb 26th so if you want to display your car please get your name down on the list by Feb 25th......

I will book the tickets in advance and those displaying can pay me back on the day. They won't be despatched until the month before the show so I'd either have to send them out to people by recorded post or we meet somewhere beforehand. This can be sorted out nearer the time. As I mentioned before, the tickets' are discounted to 6.50 for those displaying:

[1] - Tom, 1973 99L
[2] - Paul (pda) 1987 T8 Cirrus white
[3] - Pete Tandino - you know my car :!
[4] - Nutcase, 1978 99T (yeah, he'll have done it by then :cheesy: )
[5] - Dave B, c900 Turbo
[6] - spence
[7] - Pedromidus, c900 Carlsson

If anyone needs an extra ticket for wife/girlfriend/mate/mechanic then let me know! And if anyone wants to add a V4 or 1980s 9000 to the list...........

http://www.retrocarsshow.co.uk

Dave B
16-02-04, 04:48 PM
Hey Pete, have you seen on the retrocars website - all day sprints, 12 buys three timed runs!!!

It would probably be 'goodbye to gearbox' but what a way to go...

Big Nev
17-02-04, 04:26 AM
Big Nev

I'll bring it along to Kodak.
Make sure your car has some room,and some strong springs :o

Hmmm,which 'safe place' did I put the construction instructions in?

heavy_t
16-03-04, 12:50 PM
I haven't forgotten about this. I'll get the tickets (for people displaying cars) ordered by the weekend.

When they arrive I will PM you for addresses so I can forward them on.

heavy_t
03-04-04, 02:41 PM
Still haven't booked them :oops: It's been too busy at work for me to phone up and you can't book club tickets on the web :( Will try this week

pda
22-05-04, 11:37 AM
Hi Tom,

Times running out, nearly the 4th July...
is it still happening :roll: :roll:

Paul

heavy_t
25-05-04, 05:27 AM
Alright calm down!

I've been trying to ring but keep getting answer machine. Will keep on trying today =)

heavy_t
28-05-04, 02:10 AM
The tickets' are booked now. Apparently they won't be sent to me until at about 28 days before the even. I will let you all know when I have them :D

A bit of a long shot but if anyone can knock up something with the Saab Central logo to brighten up our display area that would be cool. 8)

nutcase
02-06-04, 08:19 AM
Just had a look and AA site reckons about a 2 hour drive. But I was wondering if Dave and pda want to form a mini convoy? Safety in numbers and that :cheesy:

pda
02-06-04, 09:20 AM
sounds good to me 2 classic 8V`s & DaveB :wink: :wink:

meet up in Suffolk then drive to Santa Pod in convoy Headlamps blazing :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

heavy_t
02-06-04, 09:49 AM
Perhaps everyone who's put their name down can PM me (or e-mail tom@saabcentral.com) to confirm that they are coming. If you can all give me the details of your cars and modifications etc... maybe I can produce some A4 datasheets nearer the time with the SC logo to stick in the windows. :D

Matthew
02-06-04, 10:02 AM
Do I need a ticket if I'm going to the event, but not exhibiting my car?

nutcase
02-06-04, 12:35 PM
Oh, no WAY am I going on the strip with it :cheesy:

Naranto
03-06-04, 03:51 AM
He, He.

Got a letter from Retro magazine today asking me that as my car was in their magazine, would I like to bring it along to the show. Apparently there is a special designated area for me to go in :cheesy: :wink: :cheesy: 8)

So hopefully, I will see you all there!

heavy_t
03-06-04, 04:25 AM
Would anyone like to volunteer to take ownership of the marquee when we meet at the show? :cheesy: Someone who's going to the national preferably....

You can buy tickets online at http://www.retrocarsshow.co.uk if you are not exhibiting.....

Naranto
09-06-04, 05:43 AM
I will not be able to make the Retro Show afterall. :(

At least I will be there in spirit. Hope you all enjoy the event

heavy_t
09-06-04, 10:39 AM
Confirmed so far....

Tandino, pda, nutcase, Dave B, me

5 down, two to go.....

pda
24-06-04, 01:54 AM
Hi Tom,

tickets,where do we meet,what time etc

Paul

heavy_t
24-06-04, 02:07 AM
I thought I'd received the tickets yesterday but they'd just sent me some flyers :-? Will give them a call today.

Still waiting for spence to confirm (hint hint :cheesy: )

As for meeting, off J15 of the M1 there is a layby on the A508 to Northampton. literally 100 yards after you come off the roundabout. Or the services at 15A could be a better bet.... I'm not sure what time though, I'll ring up today and ask what sort of time we should aim to get there.

Still not 100% sure if I'm going to be able to take the 99 as it's been playing up AGAIN but I'm having it looked at on Monday as I've given up trying to fix it myself! I do have a backup plan though :wink:

heavy_t
26-06-04, 01:56 AM
I've got the tickets and vehicle passes now. The gates open at 9am to the general public and at 7am to clubs/exhibitors etc... I suggest we meet at the services at J15a at 8am as we don't have to get there mega-early to do loads of setting up or anything........

nutcase
26-06-04, 04:35 AM
Eek, gonna have to leave about 6am :o Yeah ok, should be fine with me, although might have to be a bit earlier if the mini convoy take off :)

pda
26-06-04, 10:57 AM
earlyish start for me as well about 6am :o on a Sunday
its J15a at the service`s on the A508 then.....

Paul

pda
26-06-04, 02:45 PM
just looked on the map I will be driving A14 & A45 to Santa Pod, so will be no where near the A508, can I meet you guys nearer to Santa Pod

Paul

heavy_t
27-06-04, 03:58 PM
Hmmm I will consult my atlas tomorrow. It's in my silver car which I have parked at work and "forgot" to drive home in :wink:

Is anyone going to coming via the M1? If the majority aren't maybe we could meet elsewhere......

nutcase
27-06-04, 04:23 PM
That's the route I was originally planning, but only cos you said so :)

heavy_t
27-06-04, 04:24 PM
I just assumed you all would be :oops:

nutcase
27-06-04, 04:49 PM
Juat done some playing with routeplanners, and it's an extra 2 miles to go via J15 of the M1, the quickest route would be as pda says - A14 A45. However, I'm happy to go whichever way the majority decides on :)

Matthew
27-06-04, 04:55 PM
Be careful when driving around Northamptonshire. The police and Scamera units are more active there than anywhere else in the country. The A45 seems to be one of their favourite roads for persecuting innocent drivers.

There are the SPECS point-to-point cameras there, and they use mobile units along that road too. Don't give them the pleasure of taking away your license.

Fixed camera sites:
http://www.northants.police.uk/rrcsite/default.asp?id=47

The only data they publish for mobile camera locations at the weekend is "variable" which means they shift them around lots to catch you out.

nutcase
27-06-04, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up :) Are specs the ones that look at the front of the car?

Matthew
27-06-04, 07:21 PM
SPECS monitor your average speed over a fixed distance and take a picture of the front of your car. If your average speed is greater than the limit, then you get a ticket.
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

Truvelos are similar to a Gatso, but speed is measured using piezo-electric strips embedded into the road surface next to the camera. The cameras are forward-facing and use an infra-red flash.
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso09.htm

Then of course there is the usual armoury of mobile Gatsos, toy laser guns and the like.

heavy_t
28-06-04, 02:06 AM
Thanks Matthew I meant to point that out. I live in Northants and as well as SPECS and Gatsos they have plenty of mobile camera vans. I'm sure if they're aware of a performance car event they'll be wanting to cash in so suggest we stick to the limit at all times (as we usually do :wink: ). Dave B might still need to speed up a bit though :cheesy:

nutcase
28-06-04, 03:16 AM
S'all right, I'll bring a tow rope so I can give a quick tug if Dave's holding us back :cheesy:

pda
28-06-04, 01:37 PM
well boys where are we going to meet-up :roll: :roll:

Mark P
28-06-04, 04:05 PM
Dave B might still need to speed up a bit though :cheesy:

He'll have set off already! :wink: :cheesy:

Dave B
28-06-04, 05:34 PM
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Thanks Mark, here's your coat...and there is the exit :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

But you're right!

Rich, would it make sense for you to come to mine then drive to Bury St Edmunds and meet Paul there on the A14??

heavy_t
29-06-04, 01:45 AM
Nightmare, I don't really see anywhere we could meet....

Map (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=496284&y=260524&z=3&sv=santa+pod&st=3&tl=Santa+Pod+Raceway,+Bedfordshire+Place+of+Intere st&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf)

Any ideas anyone? It looks like most of you will be coming via the A14/A45

Tom

Mark P
29-06-04, 02:24 AM
Not sure which route Spence and I will be taking, but I reckon we'll be up for a convoy if it's not out of our way...

heavy_t
29-06-04, 02:52 AM
I think those of us who are using the M1 should meet up at 15a services as planned and meet the other guys who are coming along the A14 actually at Santa Pod. Maybe I can send the tickets to one of you by special delivery?

nutcase
29-06-04, 03:23 AM
Sounds good heavy. I've never been there though. Is there an obvious place to meet at, or will we just let ourselves get directed to where we're going to be parked and meet there?

Dave, fine with me.

heavy_t
29-06-04, 03:40 AM
OK I propose that those of us who will be using the M1 meet at J15a services at 07.45am aiming to get to Santa Pod for about 08.15-08.30. This should be me, spence, pedromidus, tandino (?) and Mark P (?? not displaying car though).

The guys from Essex/Suffolk - nutcase, Dave B, pda will be convoying up themselves and aim to meet us at Santa Pod raceway 08.15-08.30am. We can all meet in the car park or I can send the tickets to one of you three guys by recorded post tomorrow.

The staff will direct you to the pitch based on your vehicle passes......

heavy_t
29-06-04, 05:47 AM
*NEWSFLASH*

pedronidus won't be able to make it. Anyone want to step in? I have a spare ticket and vehicle pass for a bargain 6.50 :D

Tom

cassonian
29-06-04, 03:19 PM
*NEWSFLASH*

pedronidus won't be able to make it. Anyone want to step in? I have a spare ticket and vehicle pass for a bargain 6.50 :D

Tom

Don't suppose a 1709 is any good to you?

nutcase
29-06-04, 03:31 PM
I vote it would be perfect!

Dave B
29-06-04, 04:28 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the pm. Shall we just meet at Santa Pod, sure there will be somewhere we can pull into and guide each party together by mobile if necessary.
Just don't want to take the risk of something getting lost in the post.

heavy_t
30-06-04, 02:26 AM
*NEWSFLASH*

Tom

Yeah that would be great! Does your car have any modifications except the Mini-lites?

Tom

cassonian
30-06-04, 04:29 PM
*NEWSFLASH*

Tom

Yeah that would be great! Does your car have any modifications except the Mini-lites?

Tom

Just a few. Ansa exhaust, twin carbs with K&N, uprated suspension, different cam and a very (bling) clean engine :!

BUT, due to my job (again) I'm afraid I can't make it now as am working 'down the smoke' all weekend and won't be back in time to get there. That is unless a VW Passat estate will do as a replacement (TDI!!!) Sorry, maybe another time.

Would have loved to come down and meet a few people as well - bugger!

heavy_t
01-07-04, 02:11 AM
That's a shame. It sounds ideal and from the picture I have seen it looks really nice.....

Matthew
01-07-04, 05:13 AM
Any idea who's got the SaabCentral marquee?

heavy_t
01-07-04, 05:27 AM
Me! :cheesy:

Does anyone want it? It's in my loft

Matthew
01-07-04, 05:40 AM
Would you be willing to bring the marquee and ground sheet to Retro Cars?

I need it for a music festival in August :D

heavy_t
01-07-04, 05:41 AM
Yeah I can bring it.

What music festival are you going too? (off-topic alert!)

Matthew
01-07-04, 06:05 AM
It's Greenbelt, held at Cheltenham Racecourse. It's a small festival, but last year it was a blast so I'm going again this year.

heavy_t
01-07-04, 06:24 AM
OK, be warned this marquee is huge. Even my T16S will be struggling to get any momentum going with it in the boot!

Matthew
01-07-04, 07:19 AM
Will it fit into the boot of a 2dr?

heavy_t
01-07-04, 07:36 AM
I think so. I can check with my 99 first anyway

Mark P
02-07-04, 02:48 AM
I think it'll fit OK. It's only the box that's enormous. You could take out the bits and pieces and put them in separately if you need to, but I reckon it'll go in with a firm push.

Getting it out is another matter :cheesy:

...And yes, it's blooming heavy. Although anyone who's ever shook Matthew's hand will know that he's not short of a bit of arm power. 8)

Mark P
02-07-04, 02:52 AM
PS... Spence and I are driving to down to Hemel on Saturday afternoon to meet Bill for a bit of a 'gentlemen's get together', so expect us to be looking slightly worse for wear and smelling of curry when you see us on Sunday! :wink:

Roll on tomorrow!

nutcase
02-07-04, 03:22 AM
I don't think I've met you any other way! :D

heavy_t
02-07-04, 04:38 AM
Mark,

As you are driving down with Spence anyway you might as well have the spare ticket and vehicle pass as it is only 6.50. Don't know if you want to bring your car in or not but at least you will be able to come in before 9am with the rest of us...... :D

Mark P
02-07-04, 05:06 AM
I don't think I've met you any other way! :D

Cheers mate! :oops:

I've made a mental note to give you a slap when I see you next! :wink: :cheesy:

Mark,

As you are driving down with Spence anyway you might as well have the spare ticket and vehicle pass as it is only 6.50. Don't know if you want to bring your car in or not but at least you will be able to come in before 9am with the rest of us...... :D

Righto! Cheers mate! I'm not bringing my car this time (couldn't resist the offer of a road trip in Spence's lovely C900), but the ticket to the show will come in handy. I'll square up the money on Sun if that's OK?

I've made a mental note to buy you a beer when I see you next! :wink: :cheesy:

nutcase
02-07-04, 05:39 AM
S'ok, I can duck pretty quickly. Hey... If you're coming down, might you see Tone before hand? He's got some headrests for me... :D

Matthew
02-07-04, 07:14 AM
I'm travelling up to Santa Pod with Alex, and we should be there around 9am. I'll have a box of fuel-pressure gauge stuff for those that ordered it :lol:

nutcase
02-07-04, 07:21 AM
I just thought of that too :D Glad you're ahead of me :)

Alex
02-07-04, 07:29 AM
But will it clear the CD player and amp on the back of the seats, assuming that it requires the seats to be folded down.

Matthew
02-07-04, 08:41 AM
I have no idea.

heavy_t
02-07-04, 09:36 AM
It all went in my c900 hatch without folding the seat down etc.... and I don't think your CD changer will be an issue. I was just wondering about getting it thorugh the boot opening.

But as I say, I will test fit with my 99 boot and if it goes in there then it will go in your 900 :D

spence
02-07-04, 10:11 AM
But will it clear the CD player and amp on the back of the seats, assuming that it requires the seats to be folded down. did you not put them under the back seats then :wink: foward planing :wink:

nutcase
02-07-04, 02:11 PM
Why is it, every time I nip outside to do a bit more cleaning, washng or whatever, 5 minutes later it's clouded over and tipping it down? :evil: Nightmare!

pda
02-07-04, 02:51 PM
thats why I`m washing the car in the morning after I finish work......
wash it, leather it off.....then put in the garage....... enough room in there to have all doors, tailgate & bonnet open...
then the real cleaning begins.....
only trouble will be the 100 odd mile drive to Santa Pod, time we get there the car will need cleaning again :( :evil: :( :evil:

Paul

nutcase
02-07-04, 02:55 PM
I have a slight advantage that mine's going to look a mess nomatter what, but at the moment it's a grubby mess!

Dave B
02-07-04, 05:09 PM
Too true...I haven't been able to get at mine yet either. I am praying for a nice evening tomorrow. :roll:

pda
03-07-04, 07:39 AM
its dry & sunny here in Ipswich a bit windy :-?
cars been washed,leathered off .....now in the garage having all the finishing off bits done....
lets hope for fine weather on Sunday :roll: :roll:

Paul

nutcase
03-07-04, 08:36 AM
Yeah I maanged to get mine washed and polished-ish too :) No garage space for me though :(

It looks nice and shiny now! Well, shiny where there's paint to shine...

heavy_t
03-07-04, 11:02 AM
Might go and do mine in a minute :oops:

nutcase
03-07-04, 11:55 AM
Now it's been rained on a couple of times it's back to normal :evil: Still, it's as ready as it's gonna be cos I'm not doing it again!

pda
03-07-04, 12:39 PM
Its lovely sunshine here in Town right now :cheesy: :cheesy:

cars all clean inside & out, smells nice, looks nice......
don`t know what it will look like when I get there in the morning :-?

Paul

p.s. Dave did you buy a new bottle of elbow grease
hows the black beast cleaning up........

nutcase
03-07-04, 01:11 PM
Dave won't be on, surely he'll be too busy polishing? ;)

Hmm, I've eaten all the obligatory werther's originals :oops: Shopping time again I guess!

pda
03-07-04, 01:57 PM
only 12 hours until I have to wear my sunglasses to look at Dave`s motor :cheesy: :cheesy:

heavy_t
03-07-04, 03:05 PM
Mine's reasonably claen :oops:

Just been up to Santa Pod for a recce to make sure I know the way tomorrow. Saw a few Minis about, couple of Triumphs and a Ford Anglia. Car feels a bit funny with that marquee in the back though :o

nutcase
03-07-04, 03:22 PM
I'm all ready to rock and roll. Got some food stuffed in, some maps, me shades (for the sun, not Dave's car!), a small workshop, and some murray mints (weren't any werthers :evil: )

And the car (and me) are soaked. Sudden downpour when I walked back from the shops!

pda
03-07-04, 03:58 PM
cars sorted,food ready,drink ready.....

suncream this time don`t want to get sunburnt like the track day at Elvington :oops: :oops:

my wife is looking forward to it as well :cheesy:
lots of new people to meet/greet :wink: :wink:

I bet Dave`s got a sweat on polishing the night away......

Paul

Dave B
03-07-04, 05:15 PM
Unbelievable!!! How do you all know me so well. Car was washed at 6pm-7pm. Polished and waxed (with new elbow grease) and finished at 10pm. Had to stop a) because there was too much moisture in the air (where did I leave that de-humidified garage?) and b) because it was dark and I couldn't see. Still she's looking pretty decent but by the time we get there the cars will either be covered in flies or rain and dirt :roll: :roll: ho-hum

Matthew
03-07-04, 06:23 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow folks 8)

Alex seems to have disappeared off the radar, so I might be driving myself to Santa Pod in my own T16. Could even trundle along in the tatty 8v ;) At least I wouldn't get any speeding tickets :roll:

BillJ
03-07-04, 07:23 PM
I'll be taking the 90. Any chance of displaying it?
I'll be coming with Mark and Spence. Can I use his ticket?

nutcase
04-07-04, 12:19 AM
Aargh, what am I doing up a 5:20???

See you all soon!

heavy_t
04-07-04, 11:47 AM
Just got back from the show. Had a great day and I'm glad we went along and offered an alternative to all the Vauxhalls, Fords, and Minis..... not that there's anything wrong with them of course.

Great fun watching early eighties Toyota Starlets destroying Scoobys on the quarter mile :o And a tip for Mk2 Cavalier owners: you need to do more than paint your drum brakes and add a Halfords exhaust trim to make your car fast :lol:

nutcase
04-07-04, 01:08 PM
Was a good time definitely :) Heavy, PM me your address please, I got halfway home and realised I never got around to actually paying for the ticket :oops: :oops:

For some mad reason, this lot decided to nominate MY car for the "club best of show" thingy - each group had to nominate a car from their group! Crazy fools!!! I was up agianst about 20 near concourse condition cars! And a few ponce mobiles and a couple of very nice race prepped cars. A BMW 2002 got the prize though, and well deserved it was.

Plenty of photos to come I'm sure :) Mine are in the good old 35mm so you'll have to wait a day or two!

Was good to meet Spence (don't think I've met you before?) and Chris, who I had met his cylinder head before :! And was good to meet some of the usual crowd again!

Oh, and one of teh dolomite sprint crowd took their Nissan Patrol down the strip as their car wasn't finished in time! http://p206.ezboard.com/fthetriumphdolomiteclubfrm6.showMessageRange?topic ID=17.topic&start=21&stop=37

Only about 6 seconds quicker than a certain blinged up Cav that heavy mentioned :cheesy:

pda
04-07-04, 04:14 PM
It was a good day out :wink: :wink:
nice convoy up the A14 & A45 to Santa Pod with Dave & Richard
& a good long drive for Richards 99T
(Its looking good mate 8) )

nice to meet everyone again, old & new faces & to meet Chris & his son Mathew for the first time, so I could thank him for my Heuschmid Head & camshaft 8) 8)

we had a round trip of 220 miles...which was 3/4 of a tank of Optimax .......

once we reached the A14 turn off too Cambridge, when Dave & Richard went down the M11...
I could go a bit faster :cheesy: :cheesy: nothing overtook me from then until I got back to Ipswich.......

great pics lets hope for a few more..... once again it was a good day out with good people & friends :wink: :wink:

Paul & Family (even Gail enjoyed it :cheesy: )

Mark P
04-07-04, 04:39 PM
Here's a few of my pics. Bear with me as I resize/uploaded them...

Mark P
04-07-04, 04:55 PM
Aaagrh, only 3 attachments per post allowed! :oops:

Orca
04-07-04, 05:20 PM
Superb looking set of SAABs there 8)

Richard - yours looks amazing. Job well done.

That white T8 is a nice one :cheesy: ... still need a close-up of that grille. Was it in fashionable white for the show?

Mark P
04-07-04, 05:26 PM
More

Orca
04-07-04, 05:29 PM
More

More what? Oh, there ... :cheesy:
Great rides all round 8)

Mark P
04-07-04, 05:36 PM
More...

Mark P
04-07-04, 05:47 PM

heavy_t
05-07-04, 02:06 AM
What about those Toyota Starlets then? :o :o :o

pda
05-07-04, 02:08 AM
I think Richard took a close up picture of my Cirrus White grill 8) 8)
had plenty of good comments about it too......

Paul

p.s. can`t wait to see some more pics

nutcase
05-07-04, 02:31 AM
Cor! You managed to take pics of my car without showing the rust up! :cheesy:

Gonna run into town first thing and drop my film off, and pick it up tomorrow. Then I'll see what I actually took pictures of!

Cheers for the kind words too! It was nice to finally be able to show it off. Just a shame it wasn't really possible to give rides in it, although heavy sneaked a quick wander down the grass in it to the judging area!

Stuart
05-07-04, 04:09 AM
Looking good fellas - hope you had a good day out..

Heavy-t - I think you need to advertise the fact you've got an early T16s, as MarkP thinks it's a T8 judging by his photo captions.. :cheesy:

Mark P
05-07-04, 04:29 AM
Ooops! :oops:

Sorted! 8)

Abbott 900
05-07-04, 04:33 AM
Nice pics, looks like you had a good day...

Matthew
05-07-04, 05:05 AM
A very pleasant afternoon. Next year I'll set off earlier :oops:

Thanks to Tom for bringing the marquee. Fabulous to see Richard's 99T at last.

spence
05-07-04, 06:27 AM
retro pics great weekend cheers billj for hospitaly back still hurts after sofa :lol: good to meet some new and old faces :wink:

spence
05-07-04, 06:30 AM
more

Tone_Depear
05-07-04, 09:04 AM
Looks like a good time had by all!

Wish I could have made it. Also wish I'd known Rich was going, cos I've STILL got those headrests.

Next time gadget... next time.

nutcase
05-07-04, 12:08 PM
I did ask Mark if he could try and rouse you into handing them over, but he said you wre dead to the world or something :)

I told you, a Northern meet is needed :D

pda
05-07-04, 01:12 PM
nice pics boys :wink: :wink: (we want more)

the 2 T8 look very nice 8) 8)

Paul

nutcase
05-07-04, 01:21 PM
Looks like there was another 99 somewhere:

http://www.retro-rides.com/gallery.asp?issubmitted=displayimage&imageid=142&folder=23

"DarrenW"'s photo's: http://www.retro-rides.com/gallery.asp?folder=23

Someone else's photo's: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaeltyler/retro04/

Ukjay74
05-07-04, 01:47 PM
Some nice looking cars there Guys :D looks like you had a right blast :cheesy:

pda
05-07-04, 03:17 PM
There was also a nice T8S "G" reg in the public car park....
did any one else see it.......
Black,Whaletail,airvent covers, minilites,BIG BOSCH spotlights above the bumper,silver strips along the side, carlsson wide arches,rear decor panel..
with velour interior & 160k on the clock.......
the guy said he paid 200 for it :o :o :o :o
bargain or what, lucky sod :wink: :wink:

Paul

heavy_t
05-07-04, 04:27 PM
Nice set of slicks on that Combi-Coupe! Hope that's a trick of the camera :o I don't think it occured to any of us to have a wander round the general car park :oops:

Dave B
05-07-04, 04:56 PM
Yeah I noticed that 900 and another older red one in the car park when driving out and going home :roll:

nutcase
05-07-04, 05:36 PM
I didn't wander in the car park at all :oops: Looks like I missed quite a few cars :(

pda
06-07-04, 01:53 AM
there were plenty of cars in the carpark of interest :wink:
the old red 99 was solid too "R" reg me thinks...
the T8S was the best 8) 8) (car in the carpark)

Paul

nutcase
06-07-04, 03:05 AM
More pics!

http://dorkish.com/?a=albums/Car%20Shows/2004/Retro%20Cars

MeatballTurbo
06-07-04, 06:16 AM
I am gutted.

Had a reminder set in trillian in the todo list.

But for somereason I was sure it was after TD04, not before.

Had a lie in Sunday, got up, had a brew and breakfast, went to check email as you do, and had a dippy fit when I saw the Retro Cars Show reminder blinking away, at 11.30AM. :oops:

No way iw as going to be ready, then do a 2.5-3hr drive to Santa pod, and get time to have a good look round.

Bugger :(

Paco
06-07-04, 06:43 AM
Nutcase, great pics! I like the Dallara-copy X1/9 even if the wing is bit big... and where is his snorkel?????!!

Barra.........cuda.........droooooooooool....

And a bright orange Lancer Turbo on Starion 5 spokes!!! Excellent!!!!

Those 3 would be in my dream 100 for sure!!

Ken
06-07-04, 07:47 AM
Nutcase, is this yours in the background or was another 99t missed by all?

http://www.retro-rides.com/gallery.asp?issubmitted=displayimage&imageid=80&folder=23

heavy_t
06-07-04, 08:03 AM
I was behind a Lancer Turbo on the way home. Was hoping he'd boot it so I could see it shift. Didn't dare overtake him though in case he completely thrased me :oops:

Paco
06-07-04, 08:19 AM
He was probably waiting for you to go for it, so that he could then prove a point :wink:

I think they came with Warp-drive as standard :D Saw my old one the other day in Essex, it might be "coming home" in a year or so... 8)

My white one was the first car I frightened myself in..... :cheesy:

nutcase
06-07-04, 01:25 PM

http://www.retro-rides.com/gallery.asp?issubmitted=displayimage&imageid=80&folder=23

Yup, that's mine. Didn't spot that pic :)

I've got mine developed now. Got to un-bury teh scanner and I'll have a selected few pics up. Including pda's white grille ;)

Dave B
06-07-04, 02:35 PM
Nutcase, great pics! I like the Dallara-copy X1/9 even if the wing is bit big... and where is his snorkel?????!!

Bit of a disappointment that one. Did lots of mini test runs in the paddock, got to the line, light went green and....nothing! Jack diddly. Had to be pushed back to the paddock, don't know why. Shame was looking forward to that run.

BillJ
23-07-04, 07:38 PM
Mine got published (http://www.retrocarsshow.co.uk/report2.html) too! (scroll down to the bottom left-hand photo)
Slightly eclipsed by a rather quicker C900 - Spence's I believe?

nutcase
24-07-04, 02:39 AM
Oh yeah :)

Dave B
25-07-04, 04:34 PM
I think they came with Warp-drive as standard :D Saw my old one the other day in Essex, it might be "coming home" in a year or so... 8)

Hey Paco, if you need a C900 fix and are up in sunny Essex again, feel free to give me a shout!

nutcase
16-04-05, 09:42 AM
July 3 is this year's show -anyone thinking of going? I can't unfortunately :( :(

Alex
16-04-05, 11:59 AM
Hopefully I should be going.

Simon
16-04-05, 12:30 PM
Seeing as it's only 5 minutes down the road from me it would be rude not to :D

Dead Centre
16-04-05, 02:12 PM
Is anyone interested in going to this? It's a long way off but I thought it might be something for the 99Ts and c900 Turbos..........

Tom

Hmm SP is only up the Rd from me.
Could be a time out. :cheesy:

Dead

Matthew
16-04-05, 09:34 PM
I expect to trundle over to Santa Pod for the show. Hopefully I'll get there earlier this time :roll:

pda
17-04-05, 02:12 AM
I think I might show the T8 again ;) ;)
(if we are showing our motors this year)

Paul

heavy_t
17-04-05, 02:52 AM
I will probably get sent the stuff for this show in the post as I organised last years SC display. Unfortunately I can't this year but if anyone wants to take over and organise an SC display I can forward on any relevant post to you........

We made a refreshing alternative to all the Fords and Vauxhalls last year :D

nutcase
17-04-05, 04:40 AM
We certianly did, and I still chuckle about my car sitting amongst all those minters :lol: