SaabCentral Forums banner

Spare Tire

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kobe Diesel 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Mine does not have one. There is a "repair kit" (an air pump and sealant). There is room for one, and I'm thinking about getting one - I've heard it can be ordered as an option. Apparently many cars no longer include spares... although I don't know exactly which ones do not. Extra weight, extra cost... and, now that I think back, it's been over 20 years since I've had a flat... and that was back when I would run the tires down until the steel belts showed.

#3 ·
Well it probably is just cost cutting. :evil:

OK, Corvette has been without a spare since 1998, but they also came with run flat tires. The car was done with performance with room for overnight bags and or golf gear.

The run flat tires are a costly compromise but at least had to do with aero profile and we can't say that since this has had them for a long time.

Saab is going down .. or so it sounds. The ad agency dumped them today in a terse announcement and vendors are not being paid.

:cry:

#4 ·
I bought a car with run flats twice, each time vowing "never again". First time, I got ~10K miles, but Toyota was nice and replaced them for free after some complaining. Dumped it after it looked like these weren't going to get past ~15K. Did it again with a Nissan - different run flat technology, and was assured they'd last as long as "regular tires". These lasted 15K, cost ~200/each, could only go to certain tire stores, and then were on back order (in winter as I was sliding all over the road). To top it off Nissan said it wasn't their problem. Michelin offered to pay 1/2 the cost, but I dumped it rather than throw good money after bad. Never going to buy a Nissan again. Nor run flats. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to buy a Saab again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.