Brake Bed In [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Brake Bed In

rin95
27-03-11, 10:41 PM
Just installed some Akebono pads and zimmerman rear rotors. Any suggestions on how to bed the new brakes in? Is this needed?

demosan
28-03-11, 12:36 PM
Just installed some Akebono pads and zimmerman rear rotors. Any suggestions on how to bed the new brakes in? Is this needed?
T o"bed" the new brake pads/rotors, I usually just brake hard from around 60MPH to 20MPH or so on a remote road 4-5 times consecutively followed by a few miles at highway speed to allow the brakes to cool. With ceramic pads like AKebono it really takes few hundred miles to get the complete "bite" of the original pads, so expect a bit longer brake distances until those few hundred miles with the new pads/rotors. Good Luck!! demosan

fox24racing
28-03-11, 03:57 PM
Here is some reading from another forum:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/content.php?125-The-Warped-Brake-Disc-and-Other-Myths-of-the-Braking-System

Not saying I agree with everything in the above link. Although it is interesting. Take a look at the comments on the article too.

Breau
28-03-11, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if you just replaced the rear brakes. The front brakes are a different story.

SaabScott
28-03-11, 11:39 PM
If you are replacing with like-OE or OE, then you really don't need to do anything.
Treat them as you would if it were a new car ... take it easy for the first few hundred miles.
Done this many, many times while at Aktive.

If you were putting performance parts on, different story.