SaabCentral Forums banner

Fuel Economy?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JTMav 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a leftover 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero, after deciding that the new 2012 Volvo S60 is just too small for rear passengers. We had a 2002 Saab 9-5 wagon for 6 months last year until it was totaled in an accident. Everyone in the family loved that car. We replaced it with a 2004 Volvo S60 and I just don't love it. I didn't drive the Saab yet, but will do so tonight. I did sit in it and got a brief tour of the options. I'm in love. However, I was looking at the Volvo for the 20/30 fuel economy. It looks like this is 17/27 and I've read reviews that people are getting less than that.

Does anyone out there want to share what their fuel economy is with this model? I'd really appreciate it.

Sandy:D

#2 ·
It depends a lot of driving style. I did not drive NG 9-5 aero but on friends turbo x with similar engine i was getting better mpg than it was stated in official docs. Also since Hirsch upgrade is available in US market – get their software. You will get huge improvements over stock in dynamics and better MPG with _same_ driving style.
Also go for 18inch wheels instead of 19inch. It will safe you some fuel. Or if you still want big wheels – get Hirsch.. They are expensive, 20inch but they are forged which means they are about same weight as 18inches..
Also they sold with Michelin Pilot super sport tires which are simply best summer tires atm.

#3 ·
Sandy,

I have had mine since Jan 1st, my commute is 26 miles, of which 15 is highway and balance standard commute, stop and go but not heavy traffic. My average is 20. The performance vs. mileage is a good balance in this, the car is quick, wouldn't say fast but as usual with a saab, power where you want it. This car really grows on you. I've had a few 9-3's, my last being the current gen 9-3 and it is night and day in regards to handling and feel, the 4cyl 9 5 feels very similar to the 9 3(still peppy but sounds awful), the 6cyl 9 5 is night and day, sure the extra HP helps but not as much as the hyper strut and XWD.

#4 ·
I think the 17/27 will be pretty accurate. I've only driven ~600 miles so it might still get a little better (warmer weather should also help), but here's my experience: The trip computer shows ~27 while driving 70-75mph (flat road). You can get ~30 (from computer) if you drive 55-60. I don't commute so I don't have a predictable drive pattern. The average on my current tank of gas is ~18. This has mostly been suburban driving with 2 30 mile highway trips. Around town, it's about what I used to get with my OG 9-5 Aero (which I find pretty amazing given how much bigger it is), but the OG did better on the highway (~30-ish @ 70-75mph).

Clearly, this is highly dependent on how you drive. The 2.8 is very fun to push, but this makes it drink a lot of gas. I mostly drive conservatively, but do let it rev up from time to time. Saabs *are* meant to be driven.

Stan

#5 ·
I've had my 2010 9-5 Aero since Sept with about 11k miles. I drive close to 60 miles a day mix of back roads and highway, some stop and go. I am averaging around 21-22mpg, not computer but actual trip mi/gallons. Thirstier than my last 2.3 Aero but it is a six and the awd contributes to less efficiency.
The car is an absolute blast to drive and have 0 regrets about it. Best of the 5 Saabs I have owned, by a lot.

Wait till you drive it, good luck getting the smile off your face:cheesy:

JTMav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.