1987 SPG restoration [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 1987 SPG restoration

Malko
16th March 2011, 07:04 PM
I bought a spg back in the summer of 09 for $300, the lady said it didnt run, but that was okay with me planning on pulling and rebuilding everything anyway. obtaining the title was a whole fiasco, but its in hand, and that haulted work till last summer. last summer i pulled the drivetrain out of the car. i painted many parts either flat, of gloss black that are going back into the engine bay. since then i have had the tranny completely rebuild and the head. i have been accumulating a lot of parts from eeuroparts including pretty much all new bushings, gaskets, and hardwear. i also bought a 1990 spg parts car last weekend for $1000 that runs and drives (AND HAD A WHALETAIL!) , but is very rusty. i'm home for spring break on friday and work is about to begin on my little car. i'll be posting many pictures when i get home to show you guys what i have going on.

plans:

paint lime yellow metallic -i work at a body shop so this will be cheap :)
stage 1 clutch
red top injectors, 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulater
JSP fuel chip
3" turbo back
FMIC
brake swap from the 1990
DIY intake
battery relocation
por-15 the chassis and many suspension pieces
heat wrap intake, exhaust, part of the intercooler
reposition many things in the fenderwells
super aero wheels
transform the interior to black

stand by for pictures friday!!! any other ideas of what i should do i am open to suggestions, i want a very unique, but classic looking spg

B202NUT
16th March 2011, 08:13 PM
With all respects i suggest you dont paint it that metalic yellow or whatever; this is a classic car you obtained. treat it as such.

Subtle modern upgrades are well accepted but please keep it clean and simple. This aint a honda civic my friend.

You work in a body shop; imagine a nice factory like respray????????

IMHO BLACK is the only acceptable color change... and even then, very questionable..

Malko
16th March 2011, 08:54 PM
lime metallic yellow is a factory saab color though

philjohnhb
17th March 2011, 02:17 PM
Good luck with this, looks like you have a good list of standard mods so you shouldn't have any problems.

As to the colour, do you mean the met lime yellow available on the current series of Saabs? If so that could be interesting, you should have a go at photoshopping that to see how it'll look.

Malko
17th March 2011, 02:42 PM
yes, i mean the saab lime yellow metallic, i would try the photoshop, but i don't know how to use it!

besides, i am 20 years old.... edwardian gray isn't appealing to me!

DustinS
17th March 2011, 02:52 PM
yes, i mean the saab lime yellow metallic, i would try the photoshop, but i don't know how to use it!

besides, i am 20 years old.... edwardian gray isn't appealing to me!

just because of your age doesn't mean a color isn't appealing.

I am 19 and think an Edwardian Grey SPG is just about the only way to go, unless you go white. Black, Edwardian Grey and White, i think, look the best.

Malko
17th March 2011, 03:05 PM
whadda you know! youre just as teen! :D kidding, but have you ever seen a lime metallic yellow spg before? love this factory saab color! grey is alright, but if i am going though the trouble and taking the time to do everything right, i wanna see a new unique color. worse come to worse, i dont like the color, i'll just resand and spray it jet black and just have an expensive primer.

mmoe
17th March 2011, 07:16 PM
whadda you know! youre just as teen! :D kidding, but have you ever seen a lime metallic yellow spg before? love this factory saab color! grey is alright, but if i am going though the trouble and taking the time to do everything right, i wanna see a new unique color. worse come to worse, i dont like the color, i'll just resand and spray it jet black and just have an expensive primer.
Funny, I was also thinking of painting my Ed-grey convertible (with SPG kit) that same color. I love it on the newer Saabs, but I am having a hard time picturing whether it would be good or bad on a classic. When do you plan to spray it? I'd love to see it when you do and we're in the same town. ;)

Malko
17th March 2011, 10:25 PM
spring break i plan on to get everything ready for paint. i have most of the body work done, just need to remove all the spg panels, rebuild the whale tail, swap out the rear hatch. i'll keep the glass and rubber on for now since i won't paint it untill i am out of school for summer. i do plan on painting the engine bay black over break though. i am going to paint it, then do the bushing overhaul then drivetrain, and interior last. i'll be posting pictures daily of my progress over this break!

mmoe
18th March 2011, 03:32 PM
Here's a quick photoshop job of the color on a classic 'vert. What I found in trying the color out is that the standard grey used on the panels does not look good with the lime yellow, but if you were to paint them black then they look better. Here's the simulation including simulated black lower panels. I suppose with the '87 or newer you could also paint the bumpers and panels, but I've never been a fan of painting the panels to match. It usually just looks wrong. This color may be the exception though, but I think you'd want to shave/fill the silver strips on the bumper. I also think you need to omit the black strip that runs at the crease in the mid-door height. I could mock up an SPG later as well if you like.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/077/b/c/yellow_saabs_by_moesi51-d3bwtf2.jpg

mmoe
18th March 2011, 05:21 PM
Here's an '87 or newer SPG. I think it looks best with the panels painted in this color. I simulated the front and rear extensions with the silver trim shaved.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/077/0/1/spg_in_lime_yellow_by_moesi51-d3bx54l.jpg

Malko
19th March 2011, 12:30 AM
it does look quite odd hahaha. thanks for the photoshop! today for my car i cleaned all my parts out of the rear, fixed my sunroof so it slide now withthe button!! i started rewiring the mess in the driverside fenderwell so i can locate my intake filter there. i also started cleaning the intake manifold & throttle body.

here is a picture of my parts car 1990 spg.. check out the saab window wind guards.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0291.jpg

here is my 1987 where everything will be going into.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0295.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0297.jpg

Malko
19th March 2011, 09:08 PM
today i did a bunch of cleaning and little things. i ground off the little notch on the MAF so my filter will fit on it, re-reouted some grounds in the driverside fenderwell and extended the grounds with 8awg wire, i am waterproofing all connentors i use with heatshrink. cleaned up the outside and inside of the intake manifold and throttle body, cleaned fuel injectors, fuel rail. i also painted the fuel rail black and will reassmeble it all tomorrow and post a picture of the finished cleaned result. also i purchased a ractive heat shield filter to use as my DIY intake. also started to clean up the radiator so i can repaint it black. things are starting to look great... now i just need that engine rebuilt.

tomorrow i am going to finish up the intake manifold assembly, paint the radiator, clean the turbo/wastegaste, and the rest of small peices that go back into the engine bay. i hope to get all the rest of the cleaning done this weekend so i can start the body work and disassembly of the spg body kit and hopefully have my car primed next weekend.... hopefully.

Malko
20th March 2011, 10:35 PM
today i cleaned all the grease off the turbo, alternator, finished the intake manifold assembly, painted a few more items, and cleaned off a ton of hardware that will be used when assembling everything again.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0316.jpg

Malko
22nd March 2011, 04:46 AM
today i didn't really do much, i just cleaned more bolts and threw away all the old parts i now have replacements for. working at a body shop during the day, i don't really feel like coming back home and working on a car, but i have wednesday off, hopefully EVERYTHING will be clean by then, and i can finish removing everything in the engine bay and body work done by the end of the week.

Malko
28th March 2011, 02:07 PM
i finally have all my hardware cleaned that is being used back in the car. the only thing left to do is to buy a clutch, slave cylinder, head gasket set, and a few other parts. i also need to get my engine rebuilt or reringed, the block looks amazing. once this is completed i can start to throw my engine back together with all my clean and new parts. i also sound deadened the area where the spare tire goes, and that looks great. more is coming in the mail so i can finish up a little further around. next step for me is to start removing more things in the engine bay so i can repaint everything when i spray it out.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0335.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/malkowim/IMAG0336.jpg

Malko
10th May 2011, 02:45 PM
so i have been neglecting the spg's because i spoiled my 06' 9-3 with a stage 3 tune, intercooler, fluids all flushed, brakes, and some other things. i have still been buying various bushings and what not for my 87' spg. i think i have every gasket that needs to be replaced. i am thinking about using my stock 9-3 intercooler for it i'm pretty sure i can get it to fit. all my parts that i am reusing are cleaned, painted, and packed up. i need to disconnect a lot more things in the engine bay so i can get her ready to be painted this summer. i forget how long a car restoration takes. i'll try to get some work done this weekend and post some pictures.

Malko
2nd June 2011, 03:05 PM
so last weekend i bought some more things. i have every part besides fuel chip/tune/regulator, injectors, exhaust, and stage 1 clutch. i think i am going to break-in the engine and tranny on the stock settings. then add exhaust, then add the tune, and turn the water/meth on :). i have finals week of school then i am going home, the heat shield on the fire wall only has 1 rivet left holding it on. everything but the steering rack and brakes are unhooked, all the wiring is out. the engine bay has a day of work before i can paint it. i plan on doing this in the week i am out from school, before summer school. i still need to get the engine rebuilt, but i am calling scanwest in seattle for a quote today.