SaabCentral Forums banner

Where to start...

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  freqsounds1 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I wanted to pull some opinions on what I should do... I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 with the B205L engine, and I would like to do some mods to it. After searching on the internet, it's hard for me to understand where I should start and any prerequisites for the mods. I already have a T3/T4 hybrid upgrade, but the ECU hasn't been reflashed. It hasn't given me any major problems, but it does stall out every once in a while; and restarts with no problem. I have been looking up some parts, but I haven't really tinkered around inside the engine too much, but I want to learn.

Here's a list of the things I would like to do to my Saab:

- Install a Godspeed twin-scroll GT45 (.70AR) Whats the max boost I could push comfortably? This is my daily driver so I don't want to over-do it.
- Stronger pistons -- any suggestions on brand/type? How do I know they will work with my engine?
- I saw online that the connecting rods will handle up to 500hp. Is this true? Is it worth looking into new rods? If so, how do I know they will work with my engine?
- I have stock exhaust and manifold with the cats knocked out. Should I look into upgrading this as well?
- ECU upgrade - What mods will be required before upgrading? How can I get the upgrade fine-tuned if I order online? Can I flash the stock ECU myself? Is it hard to tune?

I ordered a Sachs clutch for my car about 2 years ago. I don't remember if it was a performance clutch or OEM. It's still in the box. I would like to do all of this at the same time. As far as HP, I'm not looking for a specific number, I just want more of a jolt when I get on it. :lol:

I haven't done any performance upgrades to any car before, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't mean it the wrong way, but why can't I start with the engine first? I'm not looking to race it, just want a little more power starting off and on the highway. :cheesy: I rarely take my car above 110mph anyway.

What parts would you recommend for suspension?

#5 ·
At least get the rear anti-roll bar and steering rack clamp/brace from Genuine Saab. You will be very glad you did. I'd say after these you can go up to stage 3/4 without worrying too much about suspension if you don't want to. That's where I was at for a while...but now I'm getting to putting performance springs, dampers, and poly bushings into the car to try to improve the overall driving experience. lms is right, the stock suspension is not really too great. But those first couple mods I've mentioned will really do you a lot of good.

I recommend reading the trolltuner blog on Genuine Saab's website, it will help you know where to begin.

Oh and I'm curious about this T3/T4 dealeo...seeing as your car has a T25 flange stock.

#7 ·
Why do you think you need a GT45? Honestly if you've never modded a car before than you probably don't need to be sitting behind the wheel of one that has a GT45 on it just yet.

A GT45 is way too big. For one, you need to rev quite a bit higher to get any good use out of it. Two, you'll need to build your bottom end to get much past 320whp. And three, you can make 500bhp with a much smaller turbo than a GT45.

#13 ·
I'm 100% sure. With the TD04, it was all stock... all of it... no BOV, no boost gauge, nothing. When I blew the bearings in the turbo, I didn't have a choice but to remove the IC, just to fit a fan. Even at that, it's not the size fan I would like to have on there, and I would like my IC back. Trust me, I'm not impressed by the setup, and that's why I'm asking for help. As I said before, now it's all or nothing.

#15 ·
I don't have any pics of the exhaust right now, but I might soon... I have to get in the front end and check things out and figure out what I'm going to do about my IC.

But basically what I did was get the t3/t4 flanges from eBay -- the ones that come with gaskets -- hacked the old ones off, and welded the new ones on.

I'll see what I can do about pics for my current setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.