K&N Drop-In Filter Review [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: K&N Drop-In Filter Review

6mtSAAB
9th March 2011, 12:52 PM
This is a quick review of the drop-in K&N filter for all those people trying to decide whether to buy the BSR Optiflow, or just go with the K&N filter replacement.

I've never looked at my stock intake before, but now that I have, I can truly say is the best designed stock intake I have seen. There are plenty of debates of the actual value of buying the BSR intake, and now I can see why. It seems like the stock intake does actually get colder air than the BSR would (disclaimer: I have never owned the Optiflow, so these are just speculations).

Anyway, on to performance: With the K&N intake, I didn't really notice any performance difference. Maybe it was a little smoother, maybe a little bit better throttle response, but its hard to tell cause maybe I was just pushing it more? The sound is *slightly* louder to me. You can barely tell, but if you have listened to the stock intake (with stock filter) enough, you can tell a slight difference.

Would I do it again? Yes, simply because I have heard the BSR is much louder (which I don't want), costs ~ $160 more, and provides no additional performance difference. You will have to replace your stock filter sometime, so why not do it with the K&N? Some people prefer a louder intake, and if that's you, then definitely go for the BSR; but as for myself, I would rather use the ~$160 towards a tune :cheesy:

http://www.amazon.com/33-2337-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B000FGI6VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1299689544&sr=8-1

'97 Saab SE Turbo
9th March 2011, 01:05 PM
FYI, that air filter also fits my son's '07 Grand Prix and my Sierra. GM strikes again... Ron

SaabMick
9th March 2011, 01:11 PM
Ha in this case it might actually be better that GM got their hands on it, I'm sure if it was a unique shape or design for the 9-3 the price would jump significantly.

loochy
9th March 2011, 01:17 PM
FYI, that air filter also fits my son's '07 Grand Prix and my Sierra. GM strikes again... Ron

Why is that bad?

6mtSAAB
9th March 2011, 01:20 PM
Why is that bad?

Yea I appreciate the fact the filter only cost $46...

SAABBSR
9th March 2011, 02:43 PM
I was running the K&N. I would recommend it if you want better milage, even though its very minimal. Personally I have the BSR intake. I no there are no gains, but I like the sound.

If you plan on running a cool mod car than go with the bsr. Very nice sound.

If you want to keep everything stock than go with K&N filter. Nice upgrade for a good price.

jim808
9th March 2011, 04:15 PM
I have a K&N and can't say if itís really done anything, maybe a little louder.

As far as the stock air box design compared to a CAI, I think its debatable. If you look at a picture with the bumper off the snorkel looks a bit restrictive. It also doesn't really pull enough cold air in from the outside. According to my logs with HP tuners I can see up to a 30 degree spike in intake air temp between HWY and City driving. I think the stock intake is susceptible to addtional heat soak based on its design.

I don't think its been posted but I would like to know temp differences with those running the BSR intake.

TunnanXWD
9th March 2011, 06:15 PM
Is the same filter used in the 2.0 as in the 2.8 motor.

The site did not single out the Aero. :confused:

6mtSAAB
9th March 2011, 07:13 PM
I have a K&N and can't say if itís really done anything, maybe a little louder.

As far as the stock air box design compared to a CAI, I think its debatable. If you look at a picture with the bumper off the snorkel looks a bit restrictive. It also doesn't really pull enough cold air in from the outside. According to my logs with HP tuners I can see up to a 30 degree spike in intake air temp between HWY and City driving. I think the stock intake is susceptible to addtional heat soak based on its design.

I don't think its been posted but I would like to know temp differences with those running the BSR intake.

Hmmm...I want to see some temp measurements from the BSR intake too, solve this dilemma once and for all.

kart125
9th March 2011, 07:34 PM
I've run the K&N for a whilethen went with BSR. I agree with wat was said... noperformance gains (noticeable anyways) but sound is louder with BSR. I'm satisfyed with it!

kombs85
9th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Is the same filter used in the 2.0 as in the 2.8 motor.

The site did not single out the Aero. :confused:

Yes sir it is the same filter.

Abarth
9th March 2011, 08:07 PM
I've run the K&N for a whilethen went with BSR. I agree with wat was said... noperformance gains (noticeable anyways) but sound is louder with BSR. I'm satisfyed with it!

I have done the same, and agree with Wat & Kart, Love the sound. Anyone who would like a K&N PM me.

kart125
9th March 2011, 08:24 PM
I have done the same, and agree with Wat & Kart, Love the sound. Anyone who would like a K&N PM me.

+1 for the available K&N

6mtSAAB
9th March 2011, 09:10 PM
+1 for the available K&N

haha don't make me reevaluate my "smart" decision to not get the BSR...

awjones
10th March 2011, 12:00 AM
well lets see, ive used K&N, ITG foam, and now the Optiflow. i like the optiflow, but miss the sound of the old intake. the old intake was much louder.
but im happy with the BSR, swapped the filter out for an AEM Dryflow. good stuff.

also, i still have the K&N and ITG if anyone interested. not doing me any good just sitting in my closet lol...

freakaccident
26th March 2011, 12:58 AM
Keep in mind that K&N filters let more air AND dirt in. K&N makes pre-filters to install in front of or wrap around their main filters to reduce the amount of dirt that gets through. Wait, what?

Google it.

ZENITH X
26th March 2011, 02:00 AM
I didn't have any problems with the K&N Drop-in on my 04 Aero, but on my 08, the oil killed my MAF sensor. Actually, the oil on the BSR Optiflow filter killed it too. I'm not sure if it's bad luck or if the 08+ have more sensitive sensors. I'm running the BSR intake with an AEM Dryflow filter now.

So, just warning others, I've gone through 2 MAF sensors with oiled air filters.

volcomstone2262
26th March 2011, 12:56 PM
well lets see, ive used K&N, ITG foam, and now the Optiflow. i like the optiflow, but miss the sound of the old intake. the old intake was much louder.
but im happy with the BSR, swapped the filter out for an AEM Dryflow. good stuff.

also, i still have the K&N and ITG if anyone interested. not doing me any good just sitting in my closet lol...

Is it an ITG foam filter like the mushroom looking one that alot of evo owners run? Or just a normal cone filter?

awjones
26th March 2011, 02:12 PM
Is it an ITG foam filter like the mushroom looking one that alot of evo owners run? Or just a normal cone filter?

no its an ITG panel filter, same size as stock but made from foam. that and the K&N are both sitting in their box, in my closet, collecting dust...

TunnanXWD
26th March 2011, 03:07 PM
Actually, K$N has it bass ackwards. A pre-filter is usually used to protect a valuable finer particulate filter and that is not the case here.

If you are going to restrict flow, why bother with the "coarse" lower restriction filter?

jboogie
26th March 2011, 03:30 PM
Quick question about an intake....I have a linear and for stg 3 I need the Aero airbox or the BSR intake. Does anyone know where to find the Aero Airbox? I found a Maptun airbox upgrade but idk if that is the same thing.

Thanks

pacotaco
27th March 2011, 08:55 PM
why do we need a review of an air filter....

TunnanXWD
27th March 2011, 09:32 PM
Because they market it like the K$N cone. The selling point of the Maptun is that is quiet and still gives some additional power.

All seems moot though when it comes down to an arguable number like 3hp.

pacotaco
27th March 2011, 09:34 PM
that was a rhetorical question

TunnanXWD
27th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Oh. I see.

cbm
28th March 2011, 11:32 PM
no its an ITG panel filter, same size as stock but made from foam. that and the K&N are both sitting in their box, in my closet, collecting dust...

I'd be willing to take one off your hands. I'm putting my stock airbox back on and need a filter. where in pa do you live?

awjones
29th March 2011, 01:22 PM
I'd be willing to take one off your hands. I'm putting my stock airbox back on and need a filter. where in pa do you live?

i live in south central PA, near the state capitol. i can hook you up, wouldnt want much. maybe $10 for either.
both are in good shape, the K&N is virtually brand new. the ITG has seen about 15k miles.
send me a PM if you want to discuss details.

96mn12
29th March 2011, 01:33 PM
I didn't have any problems with the K&N Drop-in on my 04 Aero, but on my 08, the oil killed my MAF sensor. Actually, the oil on the BSR Optiflow filter killed it too. I'm not sure if it's bad luck or if the 08+ have more sensitive sensors. I'm running the BSR intake with an AEM Dryflow filter now.

So, just warning others, I've gone through 2 MAF sensors with oiled air filters.

Maybe you over oiled? I just cleaned mine for the first time, used oil sparingly and havent had an issue. it wasnt that dirty to begin with, but then again I have mine almost encased in the stock airbox

jaredmli
8th April 2011, 03:48 PM

Check it out:
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

haole_boy4356
9th April 2011, 08:20 AM
Do you guys recommend using a non oiled filter on the BSR intake? I had the BSR intake on my 07 2.8 Aero and it kept throwing a CEL. I tried reseating and tightening everything down and it still threw the CEL. I then put the stock intake back on and have not had any issues. But I do miss the sound. Any ideas?

Vector-SS
9th April 2011, 11:57 AM
Do you guys recommend using a non oiled filter on the BSR intake? I had the BSR intake on my 07 2.8 Aero and it kept throwing a CEL. I tried reseating and tightening everything down and it still threw the CEL. I then put the stock intake back on and have not had any issues. But I do miss the sound. Any ideas?

I would personally use AEM Dryflow cone filter. I had one and never had to worry about the oiling process and the possibility of damaging my MAF sensor.

ZENITH X
9th April 2011, 11:57 AM

AEM Dryflow filter stopped all my issues with it.

And the BSR filter had barely any oil on it when I installed it, and the K&N was out to dry out a bit before installation, and on both instances it killed the MAF sensor and the Dry filter has given me zero issues. So, I'm led to believe that K&N and obviously lying with their claims about MAF sensors when I, a couple others here, and a simple Google search turns up tons of results of people having problems with them. It's old technology and let's more dirt in than other filters. I recommend getting a non-oiled filter, but that's just me.

haole_boy4356
9th April 2011, 12:53 PM
Makes sense to me. Thanks. Maybe if I come across a pipe I will get a dry filter. I sold my BSR after the issues and luckily for Ferms he has not had any issues.