One reverse light or two? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: One reverse light or two?

Stan95
7th March 2011, 11:16 PM
Does the 2010 US 9-5 have one backup light or two? The manual confuses me because the section about the light(s) is titled "Reversing Lamps" (plural), but then the text says "The back-up lamp" (singular). The driver side tail light has one that lights up, but it seems like the other side has room for a light... Is it correct to have one light, or is my car broken? I wish there were 2 lights because maybe it would be easier to see while backing out of my dark and long-ish driveway at night.

If anybody knows for sure, I'd like to know.

Stan

JTMav
8th March 2011, 09:34 AM
Similar to the old 9000.

JTMav

jpran
8th March 2011, 11:55 AM
Stan,

Not sure this will answer your question or not or make it even more confusing, I have a 2010 Aero and on mine the passenger side lights up but not drivers side!(and boy is it bright!)

Stan95
8th March 2011, 08:18 PM
Actually, I was mistaken. My reverse lamp is on the passenger side, too. I guess this is "as designed". I assume this is the same as the 9000... I must say that I never really noticed on my prior 9-5s or 9-3... maybe it is because the one light is so bright.

Thanks,

Stan

mmarreco
8th March 2011, 09:20 PM
Does the 2010 US 9-5 have one backup light or two? The manual confuses me because the section about the light(s) is titled "Reversing Lamps" (plural), but then the text says "The back-up lamp" (singular). The driver side tail light has one that lights up, but it seems like the other side has room for a light... Is it correct to have one light, or is my car broken? I wish there were 2 lights because maybe it would be easier to see while backing out of my dark and long-ish driveway at night.

If anybody knows for sure, I'd like to know.

Stan

Yes, there is only one light. It's confusing since on the other side the lens also has a clear section, but no lamp in there.

KaMiKaZi_t0M
8th March 2011, 11:17 PM
It is rumored that countries in Europe do not allow dual reverse lights because they mimmic brake lights. Not sure if it is true or not, however if it bothers you the older Saabs (my NG900 and 9K) have the socket to add the bulb, it just isn't there from the factory.

Kermit
10th March 2011, 11:57 AM
It is rumored that countries in Europe do not allow dual reverse lights because they mimmic brake lights. Not sure if it is true or not, however if it bothers you the older Saabs (my NG900 and 9K) have the socket to add the bulb, it just isn't there from the factory.

You are thinking of twin rear fog lights not reversing lights, which are white not red. ;)

JLausch
13th March 2011, 01:26 PM
So has anyone looked into making the other side work? Id be curious to see if it can be done.

PlumLoopy
16th March 2011, 04:09 PM
I agree. I actually took it to the dealer because I thought one light was out. It may make "sense" to some but it's embarassing that a light would be out on a new car (because, uh, EVERY other car has two backup lights).

jerryme5
13th April 2011, 02:43 PM
Funny - I took mine to the dealership today for this very problem. They of course had no idea but brought it back to me 15 min later and said the 2010 9-5 Aero only has 1 working light - the other one is purely cosmetic.

PlumLoopy
13th April 2011, 06:12 PM
I think the other light is not just cosmetic, but is the rear fog light. You'll notice a fog light button that faces the other way (I think, this is from memory).

PL

amoosed
14th April 2011, 06:56 AM
checked with my dealer and can confirm it has got just one reverse-light, the other is cosmetic ...
rear fog lights, as you might know, are red, at least here in europe and it's integrated in the bottom-left-part of the rear bumper (into the red reflection-bar).
Unfortunately there are no cables provided for adding a second reverse light.

btw.: all rear lights except for the indicator, are led's.
btw.2: seems most of the new cars only have 1 rear light, my previous 9-5's had only one as well...

saab-on ;)

jerryme5
15th April 2011, 02:03 PM
There are no electronics at all in the other clear square light so definitely just cosmetic. Gotta admit that makes me scratch my head..

Stan95
16th April 2011, 12:13 PM
There are no electronics at all in the other clear square light so definitely just cosmetic. Gotta admit that makes me scratch my head..
My guess is the reverse light is swapped to the other side in markets where they drive on the other side, but they don't want to have different tail-light designs for each market.

SaabaruRS
20th April 2011, 10:45 AM
The 2006-2009 model was the same way.

Leo J
29th May 2011, 07:40 PM
This is not a good thing especially if a failure occurs you have no reverse lights at all.

PlumLoopy
31st May 2011, 03:02 PM
Well, if anyone comes up with a kit to convert, I will buy it. I have a beautiful shiny rocket ship car that looks like it has a light out.

Stan95
1st June 2011, 10:00 AM
Well, if anyone comes up with a kit to convert, I will buy it. I have a beautiful shiny rocket ship car that looks like it has a light out.

Same here. I'm getting tired of well meaning people telling me "one of your lights is burned out". It happens about every 2 weeks. I guess I should be glad everybody is so friendly where I live :).

Stan

Picasso72
15th June 2011, 08:56 PM
I get the same well meaning onlookers. Bought mine out of state and was actually delaying getting it inspected because I figured only thing that would look worse than the non working reverse light would be the big red failed inspection sticker on the windshield.

PlumLoopy
16th June 2011, 11:49 AM
I get the same well meaning onlookers. Bought mine out of state and was actually delaying getting it inspected because I figured only thing that would look worse than the non working reverse light would be the big red failed inspection sticker on the windshield.

Well, two reverse lights must not be the law because Saab could never sell the vehicle in the U.S. You wouldn't fail as a result unless the tester was ignorant.

Picasso72
16th June 2011, 06:21 PM
Well, two reverse lights must not be the law because Saab could never sell the vehicle in the U.S. You wouldn't fail as a result unless the tester was ignorant.

Yeah, I understand that. Until reading these other posts last night I thought it was a mechanical defect with my car (burnt out bulb or a short in the wire). I Was going to get it "repaired" before I took it to get it inspected.

croadan
3rd September 2011, 10:09 AM
On my 2009 aero the actual lenses differ from driver to passenger side. The passenger side has these white stripes and the driver side does not. I have seen other cars with unilateral reverse lights and have always liked it. It makes me feel less generic to know that my car is deliberately not totally symmetric.

imbarry
29th November 2011, 02:17 PM
I have had several euro cars that had rear fog lamps. Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes all have them. I think in order to keep the rear of the car clean & simple, they use one side for the backup light and one side for the fog light.

XXSAABXX
7th December 2011, 03:16 PM
Actually, I was mistaken. My reverse lamp is on the passenger side, too. I guess this is "as designed". I assume this is the same as the 9000... I must say that I never really noticed on my prior 9-5s or 9-3... maybe it is because the one light is so bright.

Thanks,

Stan

My 2006 9-5 only has one back up lamp. Ive had it about 4 years now and have not had less then 25 people tell me I have a back up lamp out. Its usually at a gas station or a neighbor and sometimes have to show them the difference in the lenses.

DBV
8th December 2011, 07:56 AM
I thought the same thing when I purchased my 2010 Aero. Don't really agree with it being that way and think it looks silly. I have had people tell me that it was burnt out before....

Yeah, I understand that. Until reading these other posts last night I thought it was a mechanical defect with my car (burnt out bulb or a short in the wire). I Was going to get it "repaired" before I took it to get it inspected.

dentier1
17th February 2012, 11:45 AM
My dealer explained that this is to prevent confusion with oncoming cars if reversing on a darkened road. depending on which side of the road your vehicle is designed for will dictate which side has the reversing light.

bmwrider
17th February 2012, 09:04 PM
I can deal with the one backup light but I don't know why on the US spec version there is no rear fog light. All the 9-3's I have had since '99 have had them (and well 2 backup lights too).

h978886
28th January 2013, 09:28 AM
The left slot for reverse light is empty or designated for a camera.