2004.5 volvo s40 vs saab 9-3ss? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2004.5 volvo s40 vs saab 9-3ss?

sunburn731
08-01-04, 05:23 PM
Between the 2004.5 volvo s40 awd T5 and a saab 9-3ss which car would you buy?

I like the looks of the saab 9-3,.but you have to admit the volvo's numbers are pretty impressive...

The car starts at 25K,.you have a optional awd 218 hp turbo charged engine, which can sprint faster than the 9-3...

Do you think saab is going up grade the engine on the 9-3 any time soon? Since the 9-2x is coming out, wouldnt it make more sense to have the 9-3 be a better perfomer than a cheaper car in their line up? For example after the nissan altima came out with their 240hp v-6 the nissan maxima needed to move a step ahead and still be their flag ship model....

Nairda
08-01-04, 09:14 PM
In base trim the 9-3 is better than the standard S40 but the
AWD T-5 Volvo looks like it will cream the 9-3 Aero.
I've read that Saab will upgrade the 9-3 engine for 2005.
The new Ecotec will have variable cam phasing, twin scroll
turbocharger & direct injection which will boost the 2.0T
to 250hp & 258lb-ft TQ. Hopefully it goes into production
instead of collecting dust like the SVC engine Saab made
a few years back.
http://www.saab.com/microsites/444/GLOBAL/en/desktops/image_6_800.jpg

sunburn731
09-01-04, 12:45 PM
In base trim the 9-3 is better than the standard S40 but the
AWD T-5 Volvo looks like it will cream the 9-3 Aero.
I've read that Saab will upgrade the 9-3 engine for 2005.
The new Ecotec will have variable cam phasing, twin scroll
turbocharger & direct injection which will boost the 2.0T
to 250hp & 258lb-ft TQ. Hopefully it goes into production
instead of collecting dust like the SVC engine Saab made
a few years back.
http://www.saab.com/microsites/444/GLOBAL/en/desktops/image_6_800.jpg

So the new engine for the 9-3 is that the one there trying to put into the 9-3x sport hatch concept?

Nairda
09-01-04, 04:29 PM
I read an article in Automobile Mag where they interviewed
Michael Mauer who's the head of design at Saab, he said
expect the 9-3 to be upgraded in early 2005. He also feels
the 9-3 is a little dull looking so they are adding slight
cosmetic changes to the interior & exterior to tighten the
overall look of the 9-3, plus they will add more aircraft
inspired design elements to the interior & more Scandinavian
expression to all future Saabs.

sunburn731
09-01-04, 07:00 PM
I read an article in Automobile Mag where they interviewed
Michael Mauer who's the head of design at Saab, he said
expect the 9-3 to be upgraded in early 2005. He also feels
the 9-3 is a little dull looking so they are adding slight
cosmetic changes to the interior & exterior to tighten the
overall look of the 9-3, plus they will add more aircraft
inspired design elements to the interior & more Scandinavian
expression to all future Saabs.

So will this car with the upgrades be availble in 04' as a brand new 05' model you think? (I'm still deciding on a car to get, and I really like the 9-3ss design but the engine is too underpowered for it's price) (may end up with the volvo s40 who knows......)

joemama
09-01-04, 08:02 PM
sunburn731,

I am under the exact SAME dilema! I think the 9-3 is awesome, but lacks power. (I have driven several of them). The new s40 is KICK ***! It looks intense and I would have to go with the T5 AWD version. Overall the 9-3 has better looks, but it's slow.

ANd I plan on purchasing this summer, so I want to know if Saab will build an AWD, faster 9-3. THen I would be sold.

btw - I went to school in Rochester. I would drive 6 hours in either an s40 or 9-3 for a Dibella's sandwich!

sunburn731
10-01-04, 06:43 PM
sunburn731,

I am under the exact SAME dilema! I think the 9-3 is awesome, but lacks power. (I have driven several of them). The new s40 is KICK ***! It looks intense and I would have to go with the T5 AWD version. Overall the 9-3 has better looks, but it's slow.

ANd I plan on purchasing this summer, so I want to know if Saab will build an AWD, faster 9-3. THen I would be sold.

btw - I went to school in Rochester. I would drive 6 hours in either an s40 or 9-3 for a Dibella's sandwich!

HAha..word... i was mad close in buyin the 9-3 in december, I even had mah money down at the dealership..you probably know dorchel on henrietta than??.. Anyways just like you I want to know where to put my money. Its either a faster 9-3 or a s40 t5..(although i hear the US will have to wait a bit for a t5 awd..i think i hear that only fwd will be availble first) The AWD would be mad nice for rochester weather though....

Nairda
11-01-04, 04:09 PM
Even though the T-5 S40 will probably outperform a 9-3 Aero
I would still get the Saab simply because it looks better &
Volvos have way more warranty claims than Saabs for the last
5-6 yrs. Anyone who is a real car enthusiast won't be caught
driving a Volvo :lol: They're for soccer moms. The new S40
will be launched with an automatic only, that says alot about
the demographics.

mbodo
11-01-04, 08:10 PM
The new S40
the demographics.

Nairda,

How many Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, putting out over 400HP, have manual transmissions?

sunburn731
12-01-04, 11:49 AM
Even though the T-5 S40 will probably outperform a 9-3 Aero
I would still get the Saab simply because it looks better &
Volvos have way more warranty claims than Saabs for the last
5-6 yrs. Anyone who is a real car enthusiast won't be caught
driving a Volvo :lol: They're for soccer moms. The new S40
the demographics.

Volvo has a conservative image for being a "family" car... but the new s40 is trying to change that..Not because its a superficial cosmetic change, but because thay have the heritage and technology that can prove it. Look at the s60R, a 300hp awd monster... Volvo still races as well, that says alot about them and there tuning capabilities..Thats from team volvo, not some after market tuner...
Well let me ask you this,.will a real car enthusiast be caught with a saab then??(look at the specs for the 9-3, there way too under powered, no real performance goodies comes with the car...nor is it offered by saab...)
Don't get me wrong, I think saab's are great,..but there idea of getting sportier or becoming performance oriented is re-skining a subaru..http://www.volvo.com.au/race_car.htm

Nairda
12-01-04, 09:08 PM
Hyundai races also, are they to be respected? Not really.
When Saab gets the resources to race they always dominate,
unlike Volvo which wins once in a blue moon. I'll admit that
the S60R is an awesome car & I commend Volvo for bringing it
to market. Unlike Saab which seems to be be sitting on both
hands :-? I'm sure Saab has something coming down the pipeline.
How many Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, putting out over 400hp, have manual transmissions?
None, that's why a real car guy would rather own a BMW M5,
while a poseur drives an overpriced Benz.

joemama
12-01-04, 10:33 PM
The 9-3 is more stylish, but again, it's slow....and no AWD. I wouldn't really say its for an enthusiest though. If that were the case, go for the new STi. (although the looks are terrible!)

I thikn Volvo is def. trying to break the soccer mom image, and the new s40 is a good start. Saab is really goign to have to boost the 9-3 and offer an AWD version to compete.the 9-2x is simply not goign to cut it. The S40 has everything you could pretty much ask for, IMO. looks, power, price, options, etc...

orion7144
13-01-04, 03:41 AM
Most people here are saying the 93 is slow! It is not a slow car by anymeans. Yes it is slower than some but it is a fun car to drive. When the ECU upgrade is out an proven that 40+hpo and 40+torque are going to make a huge difference. All for < $1000. Try getting that much more HP and torque in the BMW etc for that price.... It's not going to happen.

black_linear
13-01-04, 12:53 PM
The new S40 is a nice looking car. But IMO, the 9-3 is much better looking. And unlike the S40, it has some details that differentiate it from it big brother. To me, the S40 looks like an S60 clone.

Also, all that power is probably nice, but I am sure that the driving dynamics are not as good as our 9-3's. Believe me, I will be test driving one as soon as a get a chance, but it would have to be damn good to get me out of my 9-3.

Now if I could just have AWD in mine...

acs
17-01-04, 09:41 AM
The S40 is a nice looking car. The S40 is also smaller than the 93. To make a fair comparison w/the 93 look at the S60. Saab 92 should be compared to the S40. Both will have awd turbocharged engines. If your into 0-60... the 92 should win (from a manual perspective). Driving dynamics? You have to decide.

Tip: If S40 is tops on your list, look at the Mazda 3. Very similar to S40. The Mazda 3 will offer awd & turbo in 05/06 model year.

mav238
19-01-04, 06:16 PM
Actually the 9-3 SS engine though underpowered, is really easy to drive in city roads and also for passing on the hwy, just because of the torquey turbocharged engine. But all of you are right, it's no road burner, but at 2.0L, and a small light pressure turbo, what is one expecting? I have no problesm with keeping pace with the Acura TSX, Mazda 6, Honda V6, even the BMW 325i...but of course, when something muscular like the Porsche or AMG or hot road subaru WRX STi, why bother or why even try to aspire to beat them?

I bought the 9-3SS for it's rather economical engine, and also providing some fun. If I had wanted to get a hot rod, I would have saved for the 350Z, BMW 330i (EHP pkg), S60R.

I do agree that SAAB should have at least incorporated variable cam timing in the engine, given that it's even found in the new Mazda 3.