How's the commute where you live? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How's the commute where you live?

Jesda
7th February 2011, 07:34 AM
Cliffs: Building more roads relieves congestion, but causes people to drive further.

I was reading this:
http://nextstl.com/transportation/less-congestion-more-sprawl-a-lot-more-time-in-the-car-in-st-louis/

St Louis is one of the least-congested cities in the country, but we're still bottom ranked for commute times. The explanation seems to be that while our highways are well-maintained and have excellent coverage through most areas, it causes people to live further from work.

The counter to that is the growing number employers moving to the suburbs to be closer to more educated people (labor pool) and to save money, which for many has resulted in shorter commutes. Of course, those who remain in the city end up driving further than they used to.

I live in the burbs and once a week I drive downtown where the warehouse is located. Why? Because the crappy condition of North St Louis means warehousing there is dirt cheap. There's also a risk of my car getting stolen.

Some folks (environmentalists, urban renewalists, well-to-do hipsters rebelling against their parents by moving into gentrified urban condos with parental money) are advocating fuel tax hikes and reduced highway development, which sound like great ways to choke the regional economy. It get the feeling they won't be happy until we're all living in shoeboxes eating celery.

Its a real problem -- a less dense population is supporting the development of more infrastructure which means tax dollars are less efficiently spent. But the there has to be a better solution than jacking up everyone's cost of living and taxing peaceful, comfortable lifestyles out of existence.

The long-winded version of the above, with charts and graphics:
http://jesda.com/2011/02/07/less-congestion-longer-commutes/

Jesda
7th February 2011, 07:48 AM
To answer my own question, its about 30 minutes to the city once a week to get to the warehouse. I closed my office which was 20 minutes away and now work from home. As a consequence of feeling stuck in the house, I like to put the top down and go for leisure drives at night. So, I guess its a wash, but at least I'm driving for pleasure rather than necessity.

boon94
7th February 2011, 08:23 AM
35 Minutes one way every day. 1-2 Times a week I travel to their "northern office" which is an extra hour away.

I am definitely going to be moving closer in the near future (within one year). I don't understand how people can put up with a commute eating up so much of their day. I know some people who's commute is an hour, I think I would go insane!

Traffic isnt that bad until you get off the exit into town. It takes me ~7 minutes to go that last mile. 2 lanes each direction with about 10 traffic lights.

If I had a saab convertible it would be much less of an inconvenience ;)

Jesda
7th February 2011, 09:18 AM
I don't understand how people can put up with a commute eating up so much of their day. I know some people who's commute is an hour, I think I would go insane!

I'd really enjoy that if I was moving at 40-60mph the whole time. If I was sitting in gridlock I think I'd lose my mind.

IAmTodd
7th February 2011, 09:31 AM
10-15 minutes here. I don't think I handle a longer commute. My current one and one for my past job (which was around 5 minutes) has me spoiled.

99Saabnut
7th February 2011, 09:46 AM
Just shy of 65 miles 1 way. On a "light" traffic day it takes me 1.5 hours to drive each direction. On bad traffic days it can take me 2.5 to 3 hours...

My worst commute to date was right at the beginning of a major snowstorm; took me 7 hours to get home...

jglavin
7th February 2011, 01:13 PM
I had 45 minutes of gridlock each way last year, but I moved and now its about 5 minutes each way. So worth it. :D

stamonkey
7th February 2011, 02:42 PM
My commute its 2.5 miles which takes me roughly 5-7 minutes.

Very interesting about St. Louis, I've got to say that I'm siding with the hipsters with re-urbanizing the downtown because right now its just a black hole. My friends (myself included) all live in the ring of 'burbs and never go downtown, well except to go to Cardinals games. It takes forever to actually visit my friends that live on the opposite side of the ring.

WhiteT5
7th February 2011, 02:58 PM
30 minutes/27 miles each way. All highway with light traffic. Doesn't bother me a bit.

KaMiKaZi_t0M
7th February 2011, 03:58 PM
10 Minutes to the other campus. On campus job, quite a nice thing!

SaabKen
7th February 2011, 04:08 PM
25-mins each way (~ 12km urban traffic), but against rush traffic direction.

MacNoob
7th February 2011, 04:14 PM
About 1.25 hours each way, 40km, door to desk, including a 20 minute walk from my parking spot. I live in a bedroom community 8km south of the city and work right at the center intersection of downtown.

The whole family carpools together. We drop off my son at school 32km into our ride then wife and I park in her spot at work and I walk to my job.

I can cut about 6km each way, but it takes longer as I then go through the city rather than around.

I cut about 20 minutes out if I don't have to take my son to high school - only a year and a half of that left!

saab19
7th February 2011, 04:45 PM
5-10 minutes, depending on the lights. work is right close to home.

santeria600
7th February 2011, 04:58 PM
8 minutes... barring farm machinery, horses or backwards locals that stick to 25mph. Barely enough time to get the engine warm so I sometimes leave early and take a more 'scenic' route.

jetman
7th February 2011, 05:23 PM
15 minutes for 7km, but I drop my son off at daycare and my wife off to work along the way. In the spring,summer & fall I bike it, but it still only takes about 20 minutes. My son likes the seat on the back of the bike. My wife, she no like the handlebars.

EvanD
7th February 2011, 05:42 PM
5 minutes! Small city and its close to where I live.

But it does suck right now having to warm up my car for such a short drive. Have to warm it up when its -40C or colder!

SaabKen
7th February 2011, 06:04 PM
15 minutes for 7km, but I drop my son off at daycare and my wife off to work along the way. In the spring,summer & fall I bike it, but it still only takes about 20 minutes. My son likes the seat on the back of the bike. My wife, she no like the handlebars.

So not quite:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4694395375_0fdab53abc.jpg
http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bikefamily.jpg

ghost_walker
7th February 2011, 06:37 PM
generally takes about half hour to do the 5 miles to work

under 10 if i have to push it hard and there is no traffic

did it once due to alarm call out in old work

roads are crap tho.

army is apprently thinking of moving the tank testing grounds to glasgow instead of salisbury plain.

the roads round glasgow will really test the limits on the tanks

fusionrx
8th February 2011, 12:06 PM
about 30-35 min (~30 miles) each way depending on traffic. In snowy/crappy weather, this can increase to 1 hr +.

SPGreg
8th February 2011, 06:59 PM
About 50-60 mins one way. Thank god it's mostly freeway or rural farmland. Makes commuting in the SPG MUCH more fun than if it were in stop n go...:D

SaabKen
8th February 2011, 07:12 PM
About 50-60 mins one way. Thank god it's mostly freeway or rural farmland. Makes commuting in the SPG MUCH more fun than if it were in stop n go...:D
Can I change jobs with you, Greg ? ;)

ragtopcav
8th February 2011, 07:47 PM
My route in theory should be around 6.5 miles but that necessitates going through what is known locally as 'dis-function junction'. I take a longer route in of around 10 miles, it is generally quicker and much cleaner [less stops/gear shifts].

There is a bike viable route around 5.5 miles and I'll start using that instead soon.

I've finally took the plunge on the bike to work scheme and bought [OK hired] a hybrid for the purpose.

A lot less driving and a much fitter me.