fuel cut, oowwwwwww [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: fuel cut, oowwwwwww

bazsaab
19th January 2011, 05:31 PM
hi all.i,ve done my mod's to my 91 t16s & now i have fuel cut :x.posting earlier i knew about the under dash adjustable switch (which isn't there) so i thought i would be safe, tho i'm not :o.any advice on how to beat the dredded cut would be apprecated ;ol;.my car run's very well & strong apart from this (brick wall) cut.cheers barry :lol::lol:;ol;;oops::lol:

ianrobbo
19th January 2011, 06:21 PM
You say you're getting fuel cut - when does it happen, and what does it feel like?

I got fuel cut before I disconnected my fuel cut off switch, and it was a real headbutt the screen moment when it happened.

It's hard to find, and surely you must have one - otherwise, whats cutting the fuel?

You could always T5 it - then you can adjust the fuel cut in the comfort of your own laptop.

c900
20th January 2011, 04:41 AM
You say you're getting fuel cut - when does it happen, and what does it feel like?

I got fuel cut before I disconnected my fuel cut off switch, and it was a real headbutt the screen moment when it happened.

It's hard to find, and surely you must have one - otherwise, whats cutting the fuel?

You could always T5 it - then you can adjust the fuel cut in the comfort of your own laptop.

The overboost pressure switch lives behind the relay holder under the left hand side of the dash where the flasher relay and wiper relay are hanging out.

Craig.

ianrobbo
20th January 2011, 11:23 AM
The overboost pressure switch lives behind the relay holder under the left hand side of the dash where the flasher relay and wiper relay are hanging out.

Craig.

Craig, I think Baz has been struggling to find his overboost cut off:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191533

It was suggested in that thread that later cars may not have had one, in which case what is cutting his fuel? That's why I asked what it feels like, as maybe it's not overboost fuel cut, maybe some other problem?

Anyway, Baz, mine is a 1990 model year T16S, UK car, Lucas (before I T5'd it), and mitsubishi TE05 turbo, very similar spec to yours, and mine definitely has an overboost fuel cut off switch behind the dash, accessible either through the passenger side windscreen air vent/speaker grille, or after removing the knee bolster.

TheAlien
20th January 2011, 02:21 PM
Might be obvious, but sometimes one forget the obious: The tank is more than half way full? My fuel pump fails to pump on very hard acceleration when the tank isn't full...

bazsaab
20th January 2011, 03:12 PM

hi ian,i've had modded turbo car's in the past & this is just the same i.e. drop down a gear to overtake floor it & headbutt the screen, as you say.when i prepped for my mods i looked through the speaker hole & nearside kneeroll location for an adjustable switch but as you know i found nothing. perhaps i was looking for something from an earlier version :confused:.our specs are the same so where was your's & what did it look like & how did you disconnect it ?.cheers barry;ol;.p.s. what does t5 it mean ? ;oops:.

philjohnhb
20th January 2011, 03:29 PM
It is circular in shape, about 3cm in diameter, 2 vacuum pipes going in/out and 2 wires connected. In the centre of the disc is a shrouded screw adjuster, clockwise to increase threshold and anti to decrease. I just removed both wires and connected to each other.

If going in from the knee bolster it is mounted behind the relays (wiper included). Unscrew the self tappers that hold the relays to the bulkhead, pull them away and you should then see the switch up and behind.

ianrobbo
20th January 2011, 03:37 PM
hi ian,i've had modded turbo car's in the past & this is just the same i.e. drop down a gear to overtake floor it & headbutt the screen, as you say.when i prepped for my mods i looked through the speaker hole & nearside kneeroll location for an adjustable switch but as you know i found nothing. perhaps i was looking for something from an earlier version :confused:.our specs are the same so where was your's & what did it look like & how did you disconnect it ?.cheers barry;ol;.p.s. what does t5 it mean ? ;oops:.

Barry,
Because of the angle of the screen, you can't get your head in far enough to see the switch (unless your head is smaller than mine!), and I think it's hard to see it through the screen from the outside.

Get your arm in there, and feel around for the vac hoses - you know the things, the little rubber pipes. If memory serves, there are 2 pipes - one going in, one going out, to the boost gauge.
You need to disconnect both, and join them together with a short bit of rigid pipe. That way you don't need to mess with the electrics, and the boost gauge still works.

T5 is Trionic 5, the engine management system used on Saabs from 94 on.

See this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162197

bazsaab
20th January 2011, 03:54 PM
It is circular in shape, about 3cm in diameter, 2 vacuum pipes going in/out and 2 wires connected. In the centre of the disc is a shrouded screw adjuster, clockwise to increase threshold and anti to decrease. I just removed both wires and connected to each other.

If going in from the knee bolster it is mounted behind the relays (wiper included). Unscrew the self tappers that hold the relays to the bulkhead, pull them away and you should then see the switch up and behind.
that was what i was looking for when i did my prep , 99% sure it was'nt there !.tho that 1% say's look again.thanks & cheers barry.

bazsaab
20th January 2011, 04:02 PM
Barry,
Because of the angle of the screen, you can't get your head in far enough to see the switch (unless your head is smaller than mine!), and I think it's hard to see it through the screen from the outside.

Get your arm in there, and feel around for the vac hoses - you know the things, the little rubber pipes. If memory serves, there are 2 pipes - one going in, one going out, to the boost gauge.
You need to disconnect both, and join them together with a short bit of rigid pipe. That way you don't need to mess with the electrics, and the boost gauge still works.

T5 is Trionic 5, the engine management system used on Saabs from 94 on.

See this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162197
ahh yes that would explain why i could'nt see it from above.i'll try the arm thing assuming mine arn't bigger than your's :lol::lol::cheesy:;ol;.t5 got ya , thought it might have been something to do with v**vo's :p.after all i know they use our stuff ;).thanks & cheers barry.

bazsaab
20th January 2011, 04:19 PM
Might be obvious, but sometimes one forget the obious: The tank is more than half way full? My fuel pump fails to pump on very hard acceleration when the tank isn't full...
can't be mate , as i consider my tank empty when it's half full :p.

bazsaab
20th January 2011, 04:23 PM

Craig.
craig,i'm going to be there again soon, hopefully with a result ;ol;.cheers barry.

bazsaab
21st January 2011, 12:51 PM
ha ha ha ha, fuel cut is no more :lol:.thanks for all the advice it rearly was appreciated.i went in by the speaker hole & simply disconected all my arm ,wrist & finger joints & did what had to be done.wow .no WOW she goes well now:D.just the one point, knowone told me to look out for the sharp metal bits through the speaker hole , so now i can hardly type, my hands are covered in plasters :p,tho it was well worth it.thanks again .cheers barry :D:D:lol:;ol;.

ianrobbo
21st January 2011, 12:58 PM
ha ha ha ha, fuel cut is no more :lol:.thanks for all the advice it rearly was appreciated.i went in by the speaker hole & simply disconected all my arm ,wrist & finger joints & did what had to be done.wow .no WOW she goes well now:D.just the one point, knowone told me to look out for the sharp metal bits through the speaker hole , so now i can hardly type, my hands are covered in plasters :p,tho it was well worth it.thanks again .cheers barry :D:D:lol:;ol;.

Well done mate, got there in the end;ol;

bazsaab
21st January 2011, 01:15 PM
Well done mate, got there in the end;ol;
thank you sir , you are a star ;ol;:cool:.