Performance Possibilities!!! Whats the stroke? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Performance Possibilities!!! Whats the stroke?

pjku79
05-01-04, 10:22 AM
I am looking into getting more power out of this engine. The reason im asking about the stoke is because after looking over some GM Racing Team info I noticed that the 2.2liter Ecotech engine was given a shorter stroke to reach higher hp. The stroke was reduced from 94.6mm to 88.5mm which reduced the engine to a 2.0liter. I am assuming this is the same block that we are using with just different internals. So it sounds like if we want to there is alot to improve on. There are already some parts out there developed by GM Performance for this engine. You can see them at

http://www.gmtunertour.com/index.asp?section={B68C6DE5-7C8D-45FD-A31A-43554F06010A}&page={0F76CB94-CB7D-4185-9327-E4E3976E4DEA}

There is also more info on the Ecotec engine at

http://www.gmtunertour.com/index.asp?section={B68C6DE5-7C8D-45FD-A31A-43554F06010A}&page={AA20CDC5-4E17-44B5-A275-F4AC8322710F}

Let me know what you guys think.

Saba
05-01-04, 10:47 AM
According to WIS, bore is 86mm and stroke is also 86mm. The stroke has already been reduced for us. Thats why we have 2.0L engines.

mbodo
05-01-04, 02:37 PM
It is certainly strange to think that the same motor that powers my Chevy S10 is under the hood of my new 93SS

:roll:

At least the 93 is a tad faster.

pjku79
05-01-04, 03:13 PM
where did you get any idea that the s-10 uses the same engine? the s-10 uses an entire different engine, which gm doesnt even use anymore. i know i work the the shreveport assmembly plant where they use to be buile.

mbodo
05-01-04, 03:51 PM
where did you get any idea that the s-10 uses the same engine? the s-10 uses an entire different engine, which gm doesnt even use anymore. i know i work the the shreveport assmembly plant where they use to be buile.

Umm,

Do a search on google.

ecotech + S10

That's where I get the idea. Any more questions? :roll:

pjku79
05-01-04, 04:15 PM
here chech this out from GM Performance website. keep in mind the saab 2.0 liter engine has the same block as this engine just different internals which are designed by saab.

Stock ECOTEC Specifications:

Engine type: Inline 4-cylinder
Displacement: 2.2 liters, 86 mm bore, 94.6 mm stroke
Valves/cylinder: 4
Balance shafts: 2, counter rotating
Block material: Aluminum with iron cylinder liners
Head material: Aluminum
Crankshaft: Nodular iron
Compression: 10.0:1
Camshafts: Nodular iron
Ignition: Coil-on-plug cassette with platinum-tipped spark plugs
Fuel delivery: Electronic control, sequential port fuel injection, dual spray
Fuel: Regular unleaded
Horsepower: 140 @ 5,600 rpm*
Torque (lb. ft.): 152 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm*

Find an ECOTEC under the hood of the following cars:

Saturn ION
Saturn Vue
Saturn L Series
Pontiac Sunfire
Chevrolet Cavalier
Pontiac Grand Am
Opel Speedster
Opel Zafira
Opel Vectra
Opel Astra
it is not a truck engine. the 2.2liter engine that came in the s-10 is a total different engine. doesnt have anything to do with ecotec.

mbodo
05-01-04, 07:27 PM
Doh my bad.

I could have sworn the 2.2L GM used in the S10 was ecotech.

After a dose of my own google.com medicine, looked like the ecotech 2.2l wasn't used in anything but J body (or whatever style a cav is) sedans.

loebsta
09-01-04, 02:08 PM
A recent article in European Car magazine reviewed the 9-3SS and explained that Saab's engine only share the block with the ecotech. They were very complimentary of the engine and the work Saab had done on it. Interestingly, they were not as crazy about the handling of the car. IMHO, the car handles like a hot knife through butter while the engine is nice but nothing to write home about. Sorry for the cliches!

pjku79
12-01-04, 10:30 AM
A recent article in European Car magazine reviewed the 9-3SS and explained that Saab's engine only share the block with the ecotech. They were very complimentary of the engine and the work Saab had done on it. Interestingly, they were not as crazy about the handling of the car. IMHO, the car handles like a hot knife through butter while the engine is nice but nothing to write home about. Sorry for the cliches!

they may like the work saab did when the engine is stock, but we are talking about adding mods. such as exhaust (possibly 10hp), software upgrade (30hp), ram air, etc..... personally i dont want to be the person to add all this to find out the saab internals are going to fall apart when you hit 250hp. but, i do agree with european car mag in saying the engine (stock) is great.