9-5 questions [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 9-5 questions

9-5 Bill
03-01-04, 11:54 PM
Hey, everyone, this is an awsome site. i just bought a '99 9-5 with the 2.3L engine. im going to pick it up from the dealer in a few days, and i have a few quick questions since im new to saab ownership.

i have been reading other posts, and i see "lpt" engines. is this a special version of th 2.3?

also, ive read that the boost gauge doesnt read boost pressure on the saabs, so what does it actually measure?

what does sport mode actually do?

and finally, what does winter mode do?

thanks for the input!! i look forward to driving this great car and experiencing what it is all about!

murphwiz
04-01-04, 12:06 PM
LPT is light pressue turbo, all units in the 9-5 apart from the Aero are LPT's.

The boost gauge is something along the lines of a 'torque request meter'

Sport mode, shortens effective throttle travel, making the car feel more responsive, performance is the same.

Winter mode, starts the car in 3rd gear.

JCarpio
04-01-04, 12:09 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral ...9-5 Bill...

Here's a quote for LPT (Light Pressure Turbo):

Saab LPT 2.3L 1-4

Spending considerable time with Saab Automobile AB's Light-Pressure Turbo (LPT) 2.3L inline 4-cyl. leaves the Best Engines judges with immense respect for the engineering conviction Saab lavishes on its powertrains. Who would have thought dialing-back the boost pressure in a turbocharged engine would have such fulfilling results?

The engine wizards at Saab obviously knew what they were doing with the LPT: one hardly misses the turbo blast of Saab's full-pressure engines when they come on boost. Instead, the LPT serves up a linear dollop of energy enhancement meant to mimic the power delivery of a larger, normally aspirated engine. It works.

"So smooth, so creamy," writes a Best Engines editor. "This (the 9000 CS model) is a large car -- it accelerates in a way that makes it difficult to believe there's only a 4-cyl. engine out there."

The smaller turbocharger fitted to the LPT also reduces the sometimes-annoying "lag" from which larger turbos suffer. Add in Saab's hallowed Trionic 32-bit engine-management system and true direct ignition, with a coil piggybacked atop each spark plug, and the DOHC LPT is a technology-packed powerplant worthy of any upmarket vehicle.

Sport Mode: adjusts the shift points and the throttle angle, basically if you push a little on the throttle it actually feels like your pushing down alot more. You can get the same performance from normal mode you just have to really put your foot into it.
Be sure not to use sport mode until the vehicle is completely warmed up (i.e. engine, water, tranny).

Winter Mode: starts the car off in third gear so as to reduce tire spin. It actually works really well.

Boost guage: dunno, I'll have to research this one :wink:

9-5 Bill
05-01-04, 11:05 AM
thanks for the replys, but they lead me to another question...

can a 2.3L lpt engine handle more boost without making any heavy mods to the reinforce the engine? the lpt and aero model engines must use the same block, correct?

thanks again

JCarpio
05-01-04, 11:42 AM
The blocks are the same, but some of the Aero internals are stronger.

You can definitely increase the HP/Torque without any problems...Murphwiz has been running a chipped car for awhile with zero problems.

Here's a link: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_270_287_292

* You can change the currency on the right side of the page *

Good luck.

Krafty
06-01-04, 08:34 AM
If your car is anything like mine, there is not a boost guage. The guage is omitted on the LPT's. Too bad, because I'd like to watch it!