SaabCentral Forums banner

Universal Remus fitment

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MI-Roger 
#1 ·
Hello - I'd like to replace my deteriorating stock muffler with a universal Remus one. I'm thinking one of their rev 3 mufflers with the stepped inlet (stock inlet is approx. 2.25", right?) would do the trick.

I know there are a million different muffler options, but I have had great experience with Remus products on motorcycles so I'm willing to try their auto products.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to exhaust work, but I'd like to find a Remus muffler that will bolt on with minimal fuss. I have a 2004 Arc wagon with no cut out on the bumper. Any tips on choice and installation? Will it be necessary to take a dremel to the bumper (I can handle that, if so)?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 · (Edited)
Here's a bolt-on Remus for your 9-5

Saab P/N 400131363

At one time Saab sold a Remus exhaust system for the 9-5 which had SAAB engraved into the chrome plated muffler tip. I've got one but the system was removed from the accessory catalog 5 years ago or so. The muffler above is the replacement muffler for the Saab/Remus system - assuming that someone would ever need one. The 100% stainless steel Remus system is still in excellent condition on my car after 8+ years and 200,000 miles of use!

#5 ·
Since these are the Viggen tip style replacement muffler (mine is the round tip style) I "assume" the chrome plated tip is engraved with the SAAB logo.

I see that the item description on .com says that cars without the bumper cut-out (like my Arc wagon) must be "supplemented with rear spoiler" Any idea what they're talking about?
My 2000 has a small cut-out in the bottom portion of the rear bumper fascia, maybe a 4-inch wide by 3/4-inch tall cut-out. Later cars did not have this small notch so Saab offered a cut-out kit, basically a cutting template and a piece of trim that would hide any errant knife marks, for adding cut-outs to the later bumper skins. I don't know if this kit is still available but using skill with the knife will eliminate any need for it.

#4 ·
I didn't know they still sold the Saab/Remus silencer after discontinuing the exhaust system. Looks like the one for me! Thanks.

I see that the item description on Elkparts.com says that cars without the bumper cut-out (like my Arc wagon) must be "supplemented with rear spoiler" Any idea what they're talking about?

Should I be prepared to make a cut-out myself to accomodate the Saab/Remus muffler?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.