SaabCentral Forums banner

MPG Obcession (revisited)

628 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jssaab 
#1 ·
Several weeks ago, I posted a question on the forum regarding what others are getting for mpg on tehir 1999-2000 9-5. I was specifically asking about "real world, pen and paper" mpg, NOT the SID display mead outs. From what I gather, just about everyone that responded seems to be getting much better mpg than I am getting. I guess every car is different and maybe I should just resign myself to this fact. I am getting 19-24 this fall and early winter. I think I may have seen 25-26 in the summer once or twice while on some trips. I beieve that I have done just about everything necessary to increase my mpg (new OEM NGK plugs, K & N air filter, fuel filter, MAF and throttle body cleaned, new Michelin tires and 4 wheel alignment, Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner, new gas cap). I do get an occasional "check engine" light code for "minor evaporator leak" which comes off and on depending on the computers mood. The car has 117k miles, I am the second owner and the car runs beautifully. I think if I finally do get several more mpg's by replacing an O2 sensor, it may cost me more in parts and time in order to squeeze out those few extra mpg's! Can anyone think of any other "tweeks" that I am missing in order to get those small mpg increases? My wife thinks I am becoming OCD over this whole stupid issue? What say you?

#3 ·
I have been one of those people in the past who would begin to replace such parts even though no engine code appear. I find this to be an expensive and frustrating activity. Would it be worth it to take the car to a Saab dealer and to have it analyzed electronically to find out which other parts may be WEAK and ready to need replacing? An O2 sensor or a new MAF run around $150 each. I'm wondering what a diagnostic test would run at most Saab dealerships?

#4 ·
You can test them yourself, The MAF has set voltages when idle and at speed, you can see if they are within spec...

Same for the O2 sensors.

They can check them on TechII and let you kow or you can get a OBDII with real tiem tesint g and do it yourself

Same for the Temp sensor and some throttle body can be chekced with OBDII but Tech II is best...

You shodu lbe albe to get all these tested at a dealer for 30 minutes on a tech II

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.