SaabCentral Forums banner

Shifter Bushings.

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Tubefreak 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone makes some upgraded shifter bushings for the 9-5? My friend has them for his GTI and he said it's a night and difference. Anyone know where or if these are made for the 9-5? There are some on eeuro, but they look to be oem ones.

Something like this..

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/shifterbushings.html

#2 ·
Brand new OEM ones vs worn out bushings will probably still be a night and day difference. I bought some and never put them in...I'll get around to it eventually :roll:

#6 ·
Yeah I've heard nothing but things fromt he people that upgrade to some form of metal bushings.

I emailed 42 Draft Designs to see if they'd be interested in anything. I know they're primarily VW/Audi but they do make some things for the Evos, and my friend that has the GTI lives by them.

I also emailed Nick at Genuine Saab. I saw they make them for the 9-3, but I'm not sure if those would be a direct fit to the 9-5.. doubtful. Anyone know? How similar are the transmissions?

And then my friend is going to school for CNC machining so I asked if he could make me some based off of the oem ones, but are the oem ones and the upgraded ones usually the same design and just different material, or different design and different material? I can't remember the difference between the oem and ones from 42dd when we installed them on the GTI. :roll:

I'll keep you guys posted. ;ol;

#12 ·
eEuroparts has just come out with their own shifter bushings that they claim "completely take the slop out of your shifts."

I'm assuming no one has actually tried these yet, but does anyone think these will make a difference? Not sure how much work it would take to install these but I suppose it's worth a shot for only $7.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/51153/Shifter-Bushing-Kit-101K10034/

#13 ·
#15 ·
Where do these fit exactly?

If the are bushing for the base of the gear (shift) lever (Saab part 7559875) then the shifter bushing kit should fir any 9-5 upto 2009.

If so, then I'm going to order a kit. No Import Tax to pay as the cost is below the threshold too!

Total cost is £35 due to extrem shipping of $55 that takes 3 weeks! Surely there is a cheap option than that?

#19 ·
I ordered the eeuro prototypes.. working on the install now. I'm thinking these will just make the shifter rod feel 'different' rather than the clicking into gears that the metal shifter linkage bushings 42dd makes. I want the clicking/snapping into gears.. I think this solely has to do with the shifter linkage, not the shifter bushings.

Has anyone replaced the bushings on the shifter linkage? Or had to buy a new linkage? I see two bushings on either side of the linkage.. If these were metal it'd be prime

#22 ·
Just placed a genuine saab short shifter in mine. It's design makes a huge difference and gives you the clicking type of shifting. Not because it's made ut of metal, but because it has zero friction nor movement.

The standard lower bushing is fine imo. With 200k km mine was still like new. They are known to wear out, upgrading then to a bushing which can't wear out is not a bad idea. But a stock new bushing set gives you zero play, so i doubt where the improvement in feeling will be compared to a new stock set.

The gear linkage is a 'problem' in mine. It isn't up to spec anymore, that's why i couldn't get my car in fifthafter i installed the shirt shifter. This was solved for the time being by manually oushing the linkage in 5th. The shifting feels great, but i feel some slop. That's why i'll replace the linkage as well.

And don't forget that for good operation a new a set of engine and tranny bushings is a smart thing to do!

Maarten

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.