SaabCentral Forums banner

Does anyone else feel the pedals are too far apart?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Tailspin 
#1 ·
I've been practicing my heel-toe as much as I can lately, but it's tricky as hell reaching the gas pedal unless I'm super hard on the brakes (like emergency style). I can manage to blip the throttle for third gear turns pretty reliably but when kicking it down to second I am having a good amount of trouble! I took the 900 out the other day and I found it super easy to hit the gas while downshifting...is this a "safety" feature of the 9-5? Anyone done any mods to aid in heel-toe shifting?

#2 ·
Interesting, I don't think I've ever heel-and-toed in a FWD car. One big reason I went with the 328i, RWD, great pedal placement, super sweet N52 motor. But of course with any car, smoothness=speed.

CORRECTION, I had a new Prelude Si4WS(MT) back in '92, and I'm sure I did a bit of h&t in it, but don't remember much.

#4 ·
Hah, I don't generally like to drive in boots, bad clutch feel. I usually wear pumas which have NO heel or sole or raise at all...maybe that's the problem. Still it feels very easy to do in the 900 but not so much in the 9-5 :roll:

#8 ·
My 9-5 is the first stick car I learned on, and haven't really driven or experimented much beyond it, so I wouldn't know. But my friends have driven my 9-5 and have all said the pedals are in great location for heel-toe. ;ol; And the one in particular is a tiny guy with smaller feet, and he knows how to drive. Just fyi.

#10 ·
I don't have any problem dancing on the 9-5's pedals. I find it quite easy in either my Pumas or my Pilotis, just can't do it on my hiking boots or winter shoes. Keep on practicing and it will get easier.

Learned on my '78 99 Turbo and it took me a good year to get it down perfectly. Made it much easier when I drove Formula Fords at the Jim Russell school in Canada.

#11 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.