SaabCentral Forums banner

Turbo Chatter??

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  v8power 
#1 ·
Ok. I know it sounds stupid--but is it possible to have a turbo chatter sound? Kinda sounds like a squirrel is getting chewed up in a blender. I have an open air intake and a forge diverter valve with the yellow spring and 1 shim in it. It only happens about every few hours and its usually just once.

Oh. And....I have the most annoying ticking sound coming from the left passenger roof area. It just started today. I have no idea what it could be :(

#5 ·
Yeah thats exactly it. The engine is at operating temp and its just when Im cruising through town so Im not even in the yellow part yet. When I first heard it, I thought it was part of the song on the radio, but when I turned the radio down and actually listened for it, I could hear it pretty well :confused:

#7 ·
Ehh thats not something I wanted to hear. I just bought the Diverter Valve back in September too :( What are the spring rates for the diverter valve for an Aero? I thought the Aero was supposed to have a Yellow one because it can run up to 20 psi and the spring is rated for 22 psi. Should I just take away the shim and keep the spring or switch the spring altogether?

#9 ·
Hmm. We'll I know theres people who put it in backwards (Head/Vacuum line facing left) but I have no need for that. You know how cold it's been the last week considering you live in Mass. Maybe the metal is just sticking together? Idk. But with 330 hp from an ECU upgrade I dont want to kill the car by putting another spring in. :roll:

#10 ·
But with 330 hp from an ECU upgrade I dont want to kill the car by putting another spring in. :roll:
Ok I'm confused now, you were quoting stock aero boost pressures earlier, is your car upgraded to 330 bhp then??

Surely that would change the boost pressures if it has? Whats the cars spec please?

#11 ·
Yeah. I have the stock turbo but I have a SQR custom tuned Stage 3 ECU with 465cc injectors, intercooler, 3" JT turbo back exhaust, and a high flow fuel pump. I know its probably terrible to run the stock turbo, so I've been looking at a TD04 for the spring. I just had the DI replaced last week and a new race-cat.

What just donned on me was that I didn't do any adaptation runs after the DI and cat were installed. It might be why it's been acting strange.

#14 ·
#17 ·
*Facepalm* I'm running a stock turbo...with all the crap that I've said before. I mentioned the other turbo because that can legit hold up to 350 hp. The one I have (stock) b!$ches and moans when I romp on it because of it's small size. I did an adaptation run last night (after putting in the new DI and race-cat) and now it works fine...for now. I checked all my lines and fixed one of them. The diverter valve line to the firewall was dryrotted from about 3 inches from the valve to about 5.6 inches from the firewall. I had this issue way back when I installed the diverter valve and the P1110 code came up. But now that I have the stage 3 in it--it's obviously different.

With the cold weather I've had in Massachusetts (Saab Love can agree with me) I think it's the diverter valve just being a pain and not working properly. I think a new one is in order soon. One thing at a time.

And btw...I ordered the TDO4HL19T (as before mentioned) like 10 minutes ago. It wasn't cheap :( but hopefully it'll make a difference.

#18 ·
I think it's the diverter valve just being a pain and not working properly. I think a new one is in order soon.
I think its nothing to do with the spring I think you have the wrong map for your hardware........simples!

#19 ·
TheRonis9-5;1904759. I checked all my lines and fixed one of them. The diverter valve line to the firewall was dryrotted from about 3 inches from the valve to about 5.6 inches from the firewall. I.[/QUOTE said:
That little vacuum tube was the most likely culprit. It always gives that turbo chatter sound if it is deteriorated. Basically your dump valve can't operate properly.

Suggest you change all your vacuum pipes, as if one is shot, the rest could be too.

Glad you've bought your new turbo, that 15t No.5 will be blown to hyperspace on that ECU tune!

Good luck, sounds like a beast your building.

P

#20 ·
I don´t really see wich way you wanna go.

So much Hardware, but no specific tune, that can´t be end good.:nono;

And if you install the the -19t you will need a tune more then ever.

Please let me know if your engine will stand the HP.
Wanted to go for 19t but everybody says that the stock pistons will fly to heaven......

Your chattering sound:

Or your spring is way to hard, or your BOV broken, or there is missing the underpressure wich obens the BOV Piston.

Cause the chattering sound is caused by the turbines from your turbo cutting the air in the pipe.

#21 ·
Wanted to go for 19t but everybody says that the stock pistons will fly to heaven......
I ran a TD-04HL 18t for many years without any piston issues........is the 19t that much of a beast then?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.