SaabCentral Forums banner

Widest wheels on rear of estate?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ChattySaaby 
#1 ·
I currently have 18" wheels, not too sure of the wheel width but they have 225/40/18 tyres and IMO the ones on the back look far too skinny for the car. I can get these wheels in all sorts of sizes and so want wider rears...

What is the widest you have seen on the back of a 9-5 estate? And also do you know what offset they are?

Thanks, Dan

#2 ·
On a Corvette or Mustang you see "staggered" sizes and on a RWD that has lots of horsepower it makes sense.

Which direction are you headed with larger rear wheels on a FWD? Is the tail currently coming around on you? One of my old 900's was sensitive and the tail would break if they were just a bit more worn than the fronts. They had good tread but you could lose it especially in the wet.

#3 · (Edited)
What is the widest you have seen on the back of a 9-5 estate? And also do you know what offset they are?

Thanks, Dan
Its the offset thats key here - Saab 9-5's run an offset of ET49 I think, thats a long way from the arch.

9-3SS wheels clear easily and they have an offset of ET42 so I uess you will be looking into the ET30's

Can I suggest you play with spacers - way cheaper than wheels!

#4 ·
Its the offset thats key here - Saab 9-5's run an offset of ET49 I think, thats a long way from the arch.
You've over-simplified.

It is the relationship between the offset and the overall rim width.

As the rim gets wider it needs to be allowed to spread sensibly both ways both into and out of the arch [figuratively speaking] so as the width increases the offset needs to decrease slightly in proportion.

Then you need to factor in the effect of maximum width at a given offset under maximum suspension travel with maximum deflection values. As such you cannot just post, " Saab 9-5's run an offset of ET49 I think."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.