SaabCentral Forums banner

Rear sills on a pre-facelift!! Who's got 'em?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  dasaabguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm onto another project ;ol; Those of us with facelifted 9-5's have solid plain rear door sills without any sort of insert. On the front door sills we have a little insert that reads Linear, Arc, or Aero. I *think* that the 2000/2001 models. the rear sills also had an insert which just read "SAAB", and the same for the front door sill. Am I correct in this? I am keen on getting the rear sills with the inserts to modify them. Looking at the pricing of the same part for different years, the rears are more expensive for the pre-facelift models, which leads me to believer that they do indeed have the insert?

2000 SAAB 9-5:
Inner, rear, Beige Left : $46.18
Inner, rear, Beige Right : $42.70

2003 SAAB 9-5:
Inner, rear, Beige Left : $13.94
Inner, rear, Beige Right :$13.94

Could someone with a 2000/2001 confirm this?

Cheers

#4 ·
That's exactly what I suspected. Mine are solid with no insert so I want to order the ones that have the strip. I'm removing that little insert strip and replacing with brushed aluminum. Just to be clear, yours are NOT like in the pic below, correct?

Here you go.

2001 wagon

This is unexpected actually. The sill protector with "SAAB" written on it is the OUTER bit; I was expecting the grey piece directly next to the carpet to have the "SAAB", not that piece. Actually I've never even seen a SAAB with the outer sill that has lettering on it :eek: Maybe that is unique to the wagon?

Cheers

#6 ·
Forget the last post. On mine the plastic piece that sits over the rubber seal, on mine DOES have the writing on, not on the sill itself. The pic looks as though it's been done as a afterthought. Either that or there is a difference from my '99 - '01. Odd.

#9 ·
Pic of mine: 1999.

If you can get a salvaged piece. That depends on how you want to modify the sills. They look as though they come apart, but they're heat welded in 10 places. (inner sill SAAB). If you were to re-paint them go for the salvaged units, as the <SAAB> and arrows get easily scuffed. Cheaper than paying $40+ each.

#10 ·
Totally hear you on the salvaged pieces. I've already disassembled the front sills (which of course have the inserts); it took a little patience and a soldering iron to melt the attachment points loose. I've already done a "prototype" run on one of the front ones and it came out great. I removed the insert, wrapped the whole thing in thick matte black vinyl and cut/shaped some aluminum stock to replace the inserts. A little sandpaper and a scotch brite pad on the aluminum and the finished product looked loads better. I'll post a pic when I get home later today so you guys can see where I'm going with this.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.