SaabCentral Forums banner

New 9-5 really a Buick?

25K views 111 replies 39 participants last post by  Raction95aero 
#1 ·
Is the new 2010 Saab 9-5 really just a Buick Lacrosse with GM value engineering attached (different trim and tags)? Remember the new 9-5 was designed by GM.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes and no. They share the same platform. Entirely different body, entirely different interior, and the 9-5 uses XWD.

But is it really a bad thing? That Buick is a very nice car.

#12 ·
http://www.saabsunited.com/2009/01/epsilon-ii-buick-lacrosse-vs-opel-insignia.html

"Both are good looking vehicles. They look modern and I’m sure the finished product will be just want the customer wants. They’re certainly a heck of a lot better than some of the stuff GM has put out in the past.

The problem is the similarities we can see here. It’s not a problem for your average Opel or Buick customer because they’ll get what they want – a good looking, reliable and comfortable vehicle. They’ll sell in different countries so there’s no overlap.

The potential problem with Saab is that the average Saab customer is more aware, better educated and more discriminating than your average Buick or Opel customer. They don’t want their next Saab to look like their neighbor’s Opel, Vauxhall or Buick. It’s the bowtie GM radio dilemma all over again."

That pretty much sums up why I dislike the "new" 9-5, it is in no way shape or form related to Saab.

#13 ·
Who set all the Trolls loose lately. If you don't like that Saab is closely related to any GM products then sell yours and get something else.

I don't see where the LaCrosse uses the 2.8 V6. It uses a 2.4 and 3.6. Get yours facts straight.

#54 ·
Which was designed by Ricardo Engineering and also used by Triumph!

Saab has never had their own engine, although the last variants of the 2.3l engine come closest. DKW three cylinder two stroke, Ford V4, Ricardo developed L4 engine shared with Triumph, Vauxhall/Opel V6 engines, Holden V6 engine, GM Ecotech L4, ....................

#19 ·
The canted 4cyl engine in the 99 and the 900 was actually contracted from Triumph afterall...

#21 ·
Sometimes you need a life jacket before you build a boat! And this is a very nice life jacket with a spiffy instrument cluster, the traditional SAAB green lighting, center mounted ignition and a super great AWD system. Also I believe the V6 was sourced from Holden, an Australian company also owned by GM. So don't think some hillbilly stateside put a minivan V6 in it, Holden knows how to build an engine! And then SAAB turbocharged it ;ol;

The new 9-5 has some evolving to do but it's a great, solid, fast car (and I actually drove one, how many of you have??? :eek:) and the community should embrace it because its a SAAB and not because its the perfect car. You always kissed your Aunt Marie as a child even though you *really* didn't want to. It was a vote for the family in general even if you didn't like her much and she always gave you grape candy that you didn't like. (whoa tangent)

So even if you don't like the car, I know you still like the brand. A lot of people around here say if you don't like it, don't post on the SAAB forums. I argue the contrary. If you're going to bash the new 9-5 (yes there are sour details) keep it here so people that have the new 9-5 can provide feedback. Then tell all your friends, family, coworkers that the 9-5 is a totally cool car with AWD and 300hp that's built in Sweden. It'll catch on. Then all we have to do is sit back and relax, and wait for the Sonnett IV prototype to roll out of Trollhatten :cheesy: (its that easy right? :roll:)

#23 ·
Sometimes you need a life jacket before you build a boat! And this is a very nice life jacket with a spiffy instrument cluster, the traditional SAAB green lighting, center mounted ignition and a super great AWD system. Also I believe the V6 was sourced from Holden, an Australian company also owned by GM. So don't think some hillbilly stateside put a minivan V6 in it, Holden knows how to build an engine! And then SAAB turbocharged it ;ol;
It really sounds like a good car to me. I'm a fan of the GM 60* V6 though so try not to be too hard on those "minivan engines." After all the 3.6L in the new Camaro produces similar power as this 9-5 does and the Camaro does it without forced induction. An AWD turbo V6 sounds good to me, even if I do think the car could be better looking.

#22 ·
The new 9-5 is actually slower than the previous generation, the new Aero model does 0-60 in 7 seconds according to the report I read.

On top of that it also loves to go through large amounts of fuel.

Typical Buick features now available standard on all 9-5's

#28 ·
Can you feel the Saab love in here????? :eek:

#31 ·
Noo i talk about stock. Hirsch is stock.
9-5 Aero 300HP AT - 0-100 6.6
9-5 Aero 335HP NG - 0-100 6.1

Old Aero will make 6.6 only with perfect tyres under a perfect road condition. New aero will make it all the time.

Ok if you think Hirsch is not stock.
260HP Aero - 8.2
300HP Aero NG - 6.9

I love much OLD 9-5 and drive one, highly tuned, i think it looks better, drives nice etc, got perfect cockpit... but overall new 9-5 is much better car, at least because of XWD and V6.

#33 ·
The NG is 4400 lbs = 300hp = 14.6 lbs per hp

The original 9-5 is 3470 lbs = 250hp = 13.88 lbs per hp

Seems pretty clear to me which will be faster and the reports reflect this.

Again, you get an overweight car with a high demand for fuel. Typical Buick.

#37 · (Edited)
Your images do not work, at least one of them.

By the way, the Saturn and Saab do not share sheet metal- which as I said above is my real complaint about the NG 9-5. It looks like a Buick, because they share sheet metal, there's no way around the comparison.

I understand how fans can be brand loyal, I am a HUGE fan of Saab, look at how many I own. At the same time I can look at Saabs latest offerings and give my opinion no matter how it reflects on the brand. I may be loyal but I am not blind.

#40 ·
yes they have the similar proportions, but i still dont see how they look the same. have you seen them in person? if not, you should, before you pass judgement. the saab looks much smaller in comparison while the buick looks a little fat.

#46 ·
Here is the deal, I was on business earlier this week out of state, when I came out of my meeting I saw a brand new vehicle with temp plates. I was excited because it was the new Saab 9-5- I only saw the side profile and therefore did not see any tags.

When I approached the vehicle I then saw that it was a Buick Lacrosse. I made a mental note to check the two cars out online when I got home.

I did some research, my stomach turned, and hence my post.

Again, I am allowed my opinion just as much as you are allowed yours, it looks like a Buick, not a Saab.

#49 ·
compared to the way cars were built 20 years ago a lot of cars have lost their uniqueness. you don't have to be very far away to mistake a Chrysler Sebring for a Camaro, and thats but one example of how newer cars have lost their unique styling. The C900, third generation F-body, 78-88 Monte Carlo, even pick up trucks look quite similar to each other anymore.

#50 ·
In the last 20 years, has a Saab existed that wasn't either a direct GM clone (9-7) or at least used a GM sourced platform (9-5, 9-3)? Hell, the current GM-based 9-3 actually spawned the Caddy BLS - it came full-circle!

The 9-2 even had a GM connection, though not as obvious as the others.

I just don't see the big deal. VW/Audi have been successful at platform sharing for years. As has Ford/Volvo/Jag/Mazda. This could have been terrible like the Accord/TL and Camry/ES fiascos! ;)

#51 ·
Well, looking back - the original poster claims that he physically saw a Buick LaCrosse on the highway and excitedly thought he was looking at a new SAAB 9-5, only to sadly find out once he got close that it was that darn Buick.

I think he may have had beer goggles on :lol:, as personally I do not see the connection in the looks department, but to each his own (and you sure ain't going to change his mind, believe us we have tried!)

#52 ·
The LaCrosse is a sweet car. It rides wonderfully, has surprisingly sharp handling and decent power. It's a great platform for Saab to build on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.