SaabCentral Forums banner

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  demosan 
#1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research on cleaning fuel injectors and fuel systems and thought that I would try a bottle or two of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner or Fuel System CONCENTRATE in my 9-5 to see if that would help increase my gas mileage. As I stated in a recent post, I have already installed new OEM NGK plugs, K & N air filter and a new fuel filter. I will also be cleaning my MAF sensor and throttle body this weekend using the correct CRC cleaning products.
I bought this one owner 9-5 with 113k miles this summer and I think its time to give the system a good clean out. There are expensive commercial fuel system establishments that will gladly charge anywhere from $125-200 to clean out the fuel system and that would be an expensive last resort. Thought I would try home remedies. It will be interesting to see what 9-5 owners say about the Chevron products vs the more expensive commercial options.[/SIZE]

#2 ·
I have tried a few fuel system cleaners and never noticed any difference :cry:

#6 ·
Maineguy,
Pick up a can of 44K made by BG Products and dump that into a full tank of gas then drive her like you stole her!! (Do NOT run the tank below 1/4 or she'll act like you have your hands around her throat)

Another GREAT idea would see if your local dealer performs the BG Fuel Injection service. Not only will it clean out your fuel system including injectors but will also remove all the carbon build-up on the piston heads and valves which will certainly add a few precious miles to a tank-full.

Good luck! ;ol;

#7 ·
Not only will it clean out your fuel system including injectors but will also remove all the carbon build-up on the piston heads and valves which will certainly add a few precious miles to a tank-full.

Good luck! ;ol;
You can actually clean out all the carbon by putting seafoam into the vacumm system yourself. Also the fuel injection system cleaning isn't something needed IMO.

#8 ·
I've been doing a lot of research on cleaning fuel injectors and fuel systems and thought that I would try a bottle or two of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner or Fuel System CONCENTRATE in my 9-5 to see if that would help increase my gas mileage. As I stated in a recent post, I have already installed new OEM NGK plugs, K & N air filter and a new fuel filter. I will also be cleaning my MAF sensor and throttle body this weekend using the correct CRC cleaning products.
I bought this one owner 9-5 with 113k miles this summer and I think its time to give the system a good clean out. There are expensive commercial fuel system establishments that will gladly charge anywhere from $125-200 to clean out the fuel system and that would be an expensive last resort. Thought I would try home remedies. It will be interesting to see what 9-5 owners say about the Chevron products vs the more expensive commercial options.[/SIZE]
Interesting you ask this question. I just returned from a Christmas visit to my daughters in Denver from San Diego and used some Chevron Techron concentrate on the return visit. Checked my milage and my return trip was 31+MPG door to door and 29.8 on the San Diego to Denver leg of the trip. Having made the trip several times ( first time in my '06 SAAB) the return trip is always a bit better, but the car seems much more responsive having run one pint of the Techron thru the fuel system. Car is '06 with 53K miles. I ran high-test gas exclusively on this trip and on the return there were stretches of 85-90MPH on the flats in Utah as well ;-)

Demosan

#9 ·
Go to walmart and get some Concentrated Gumout Regane complete system cleaner. Has a higher % of PEA than the new formula of Techron, which is the actual chemical that does the cleaning. People actually question if Techron uses PEA anymore. Some say only Gumout Regane, amsoil PI and Redline S-1 are the only ones to use PEA.

#10 ·
Go to walmart and get some Concentrated Gumout Regane complete system cleaner. Has a higher % of PEA than the new formula of Techron, which is the actual chemical that does the cleaning. People actually question if Techron uses PEA anymore. Some say only Gumout Regane, amsoil PI and Redline S-1 are the only ones to use PEA.
Hey so what is the % of PEA in all the fuel additives you mentioned? The only one that I know of that still puts the % in the MSDS is Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/32.pdf . But Chervon is one of the first (if not the very first) company to use PEA in the 80's. Now there is no telling how much % since most companies like to do the "cloak and dagger" with MSDS.

#12 ·
But the return trip to San Diego is "downhill" so to speak. You are going from the mile high city and descending. I really think that would account for the 1 mpg difference.
I hear you about the altitude diffence between Denver and San Diego. However, think about 4500 ft of net elevation change in 1,045 miles. That translates to just about 4 feet for every mile?? That seems insignificant to me. WInd can make a much more detrimental effect on milage if any headwinds ( insignificant during my trip). I think the better milage is largely due to outbound trip really cleans out the motor and it simply runs a bit more efficient on the return. Demosan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.