SaabCentral Forums banner

How much of a diffrence will maptun stage 3 make?

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
I have a stock 2000 9-5 aero 230bhp, im considering going for the full maptun stage 3 kit, 3" exhaust system,3.5b FPR and maptuner.

Can anybody that has gone from a stock aero to stage 3 give their opinion on how big the power hike feels? isit really worth it? or will i get used to the power in a couple of months?

#2 · (Edited)
Is your car an auto?

Stage three Maptun from Neos - £1500
285 bhp / 440 Nm

Stage Two BSR from PFS - £1000

275 bhp / 448 Nm

Same figures more or less...........

Save the £500 and buy a decent intercooler.............

Personally I would:

1. Buy a decent intercooler
2. Get someone on UKsaabs to do a T7 map for it

Total £500 ish........

#3 ·
#4 ·
Hi mine is a manual, Does the bsr come with a 3" downpipe? i emailed neobrothers and they say their website needs updating and they kit does actualy come with the 3" downpipe.

The bsr kit looks impresive for the cash, not heard much about them tho, are they well regarded on here?

#5 ·
I guess thats why the cost is higher then, yes the downpipe is worth it.

But.......... £1500 :eek:

#6 ·
Why don't you contact a local exhaust shop to get a quote for a full 3" with sport cat? I'd guess probably around £500? Then as chris says, get a homebrew map (loads of people have them, the quality is still meant to be great) that's what, £100? Then again as chris recommend's, upgraded intercooler, either forge, or theirs a swedish brand that does one that is drop in also, think its only around £350 IIRC. You could be at a safe 300bhp for £1000 i would reckon.

Chris' advice all seems spot on. And the man has great experience with owning a tuned automatic.

#7 ·
#8 ·
This is getting intresting now :D

Whats the deal with theese home brew maps? i take it somebody on here can remap your ecu? how do theese compare to say maptun and how much are we talking? and most importantly are they safe?

What would i need the for around 300bhp

Full 3" exhaust

3.5b Fpr

Uprated intercooler ( do you have link for the sweedish company )

Home brew map

Is there anything else i would need?

#9 ·
This is getting intresting now :D

Whats the deal with theese home brew maps? i take it somebody on here can remap your ecu? how do theese compare to say maptun and how much are we talking? and most importantly are they safe?
There are a few UK guys on www.uksaabs.co.uk have good success with these, and are selling then at around £100.

Example: http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52672

As for safety well I think they are copies of software from the big boys anyway.........

#14 ·
:D :evil: http://shop.klracing.se/cgi-bin/ibutik/AIR_ibutik.pl?funk=steg_tva&artgrp=198 :evil: :D

I would strongly advise taking the advice of someone that's seen it through and through though mate.

People often start of with lpts, tune them, and wish they just bought an aero in the first place (me included) (i know you have an aero already..)

Likewise the same happens with the auto/manual advice Chris is giving you; not being able to control 270-300bhp's gears could be a bit tricky/frightening, given our twisty UK roads

What i'm getting at is hindsight is a wonderful thing; i would say its good not to splash out if warned so; i, like others, wish i hadn't spent unnecessary ££££.

Why not try a stage 1 remap first, just to see what you think its like with the extra 35bhp/wads of midrange torque, and decide from there if you think you're personally ok with having a tuned auto. That way if you decide otherwise, you've only spent £100 instead of £1000. And, if you do decide you still want to tune, well, you've still only spent £100 which coupled with the money saving advice we've offered, is still a massive saving over tuners when factored in to total expense.

Your call at the end of the day though man. Your car, your money, your life, maybe you just want to say bye bye to some expensive "toys" when you come onto the motorway.(?)

#15 ·
why not try a stage 1 remap first, just to see what you think its like with the extra 35bhp/wads of midrange torque, and decide from there
+1 ;)

#18 ·
Huh, I had reservations about whether the autobox could take that kind of abuse anyway.
Well on that note, I did break a couple of manual transmissions, and never broke my auto.............got close to 300bhp and 450Nm in that........

Sold it with just a Stage 1 though ;)

I just hated the way it shifted when highly tuned :eek:

#20 ·
Great post Paulo - I have read that the 5 speed auto responds to tuning far better than the 4 speed so good to hear it from someone in the know!

#21 ·
Hmm i guess big power and fwd is just asking for trouble, i love the saab it ticks all the right boxes but i guess i would be better of starting with a car more suited to big power in the 1st place! i do like the sleeper aspect but i dont want to be worrying about gearboxes and traction if i were to tune it.

Tempted to get an the bi turbo audi s4 :evil:

#22 ·
I have a 290 WHP 9-5 330 ft/lbs of torque. It is faster than lots of cars and althgouth off th eline will only sipn its tires, I am not a kind and don't race light to lght ( anymore)

But I do like overtaking much more seemingly fater cars ( Audi S4, BMW 335i, ) when mergin on a highway for instance -or not letting them by me when they try.
I eve taught a Dodge Hemi driver and GTO owner that my car was in the same league and love the surprised expressions on their respective faces when they canpt pass me, its an abolute hoot...

so it depends on what you are lookgin for, my car is way cheaper than a comparable S4 or BMW and still kicks me in the butt...

#24 ·
Im now struggling to find another car to replace the saab thats going to offer anything better, the things that offer more ie audi s4 costs alot more and everytime i get back in the saab i love it again.

i might just try the stage 1 for now, will this really make a diffrence?

#25 ·
i might just try the stage 1 for now, will this really make a diffrence?
Yes but not (in my opinion) £600 worth of difference hence our suggesting you get a home brew map for £100ish ;)

#27 ·
I think you thoroughly deserve it, and its Christmas.....

Go on fella treat yourself :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.