SaabCentral Forums banner

Gas Mileage: Old School Calculations

666 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  imdunne8 
#1 ·
I recently posted a question about 9-5 gas mileage. It would be interesting to find out HOW ACCURATE the SID MPG readout is as compared to the "old school" method of using pen and paper to figure out gas mileage. I recently put in a K & N air filter, new NGK plugs, fuel filter and will be cleaning the Air Mass and throttle body this weekend. I did not notice much of a change in mpg. My newly rebuilt SID says that I am getting 26 mpg around town, but my pen and paper calculations say that I am only getting 20-22 mpg in town and on the highway. I'm hoping that by cleaning the Air Mass and throttle body I may see a significant change in mpg. My car runs like a top and has great acceleration, but I think I should be getting around 28-30 mpg on the highway on the 2.3L engine.

#2 ·
I have to say I stopped doing the old school method as the SID made me feel better :cry:

#4 ·
Over the past 30k miles, I've found my SID to be about 2-3 MPG (US) optimistic.

Yes, I have almost every tank recorded the old-school way (semi-new-school. It's in Google Docs. I can send a view link if anyone is interested).

#5 ·
Here are my calculations for the last seven months. I've been using aCar on my phone to record everything. I've noticed that my actual calculated fuel economy is a bit higher than what my SID reads. The two that are right around 29MPG were 80mph highway average with one or two stops, driving split between 3 people, one who I taught to drive manual a couple days before the trip. I would imagine that somebody were to drive a full tank at 65mph they could easily achieve 35+mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.