I love the 9-5 but i'm not dropping 40k [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: I love the 9-5 but i'm not dropping 40k

squishmann
28th December 2003, 09:42 PM
i love this car to death but i have better things to do with my money.

so my plan is to get a 99/00 9-5 and convert it into a 04 Aero

i took some snapshots of a couple 04's today and some older models and realized that all you have to do to complete this task is

- change front bumper cover
- change headlamps to projector style
- chage rear tail lights
- add body colored rear decor panel
- add clear sidemarkers
- remove badges and put on new ones
and you've got yourself an '04!

the only giveaway are the side mirrors, on the new models they are apart of the door but not even Mike Mauer would notice.

i would of course upgrade performance , as seen here (http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/ninefive.htmurl)

my reason for getting the 'new style' headlamps is to add a HID light system. a reliable brand of course, that has some type of insurance.

and then on the inside HIRSCH (http://www.saab-performance.com/GB_en/4_1_seats.htmlurl)it up

and probably add that hirsch exhaust , wheels and spoiler

all together including adding a NAVI/ENT. system i'll spend about 10k. and another 10k for the car. sounds alot better than 40k. the only thing that i lose are the A/C seats and i would've lost those anyway by upgrading to the Hirsch seats.

i doubt it if SAAB USA okays Hirsch anytime soon so it seems as though i'm gonna have to pick up some stuff at Reading Saab when i take my vacA to London next summer

Saabaholic2.0T
23rd January 2004, 01:56 PM
you my friend must have lost your mind. the 99 or 00 95 that you will buy will have a million miles on it. You are going to spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars (on a 99 saab 9-5?!?!?) and STILL will not have a real Aero??? Call me mr obvious but why not buy a umm ohh i dunno a 2000 AERO??? Spend 20k$ and have a REAL aero, maybe with some warranty left. God help you if you ever try to sell that franken-aero you are planning on building. People will raise SO many questions about that car and you will sit on it forever.

What about brakes, suspension, dash trim etc. Theres even MORE money you will need to put into the car.

Just does not make sense. Think it thropugh before you do anything.

JCarpio
23rd January 2004, 02:28 PM
If you do dive into this project I'd recommend going with a M2000 and above, since they have the upgraded aero engine internals and a few other perks.

Sounds like an interesting hair falling out kind of project :o

Good luck...

Mattlach
23rd March 2004, 11:05 PM
I really kinda like the ligts (both front and rear) on the 2002's and beyond and was toying with the idea of buying some and bolting them on my 2001 AERO..

While looking at pictures though, they dont seem to be an identical fit. The 2002's and beyond seem to ahve a physically different trunk.

Am I correct?

sherpapike88
2nd April 2004, 03:16 AM
Your correct! The dimensions are slightly different. I was also told that, in order for the (2003-2004) headlights to fit on our 2000, there needs to be major tweeking. Another possibility is to buy an aftermarket HID kit, though, will eliminate the use of high beams. To modify a 99-00 Saab 9-5 is ridiculous! Just buy an Aero for 15-19 thousand and maybe mod that!!! Trust me, after having driven both, you'll want the AERO!!!! RIGHT FELLOW SAAB ENTHUSIASTS???????????

Mattlach
2nd April 2004, 11:31 AM
Your correct! The dimensions are slightly different. I was also told that, in order for the (2003-2004) headlights to fit on our 2000, there needs to be major tweeking. Another possibility is to buy an aftermarket HID kit, though, will eliminate the use of high beams. To modify a 99-00 Saab 9-5 is ridiculous! Just buy an Aero for 15-19 thousand and maybe mod that!!! Trust me, after having driven both, you'll want the AERO!!!! RIGHT FELLOW SAAB ENTHUSIASTS???????????

hehe I have never driven a non-aero 9-5... But I concurr none-the less. THe Aero is a fine automobile...

2Griffins
7th April 2004, 05:36 PM
Aero all the way. Don't forget the front suspension/steering was upgraded in 2002 and beyond as well.

Mattlach
7th April 2004, 06:17 PM
Aero all the way. Don't forget the front suspension/steering was upgraded in 2002 and beyond as well.

Yeah I wish I had known that before I bought my 2001. I might just have been able to spend a little extra in order to get a 2002, but I assumed there was little difference...

Silly me.

nabielec
10th April 2004, 01:57 AM
Mattlach, you mention the suspension/steering differences between the 2001 and the 2002 Aeros. What kind of difference is there? I'm going to look at a 2001 aero wagon tomorrow. Is the 2002 that much better?

Thanks,

Mike

Mattlach
11th April 2004, 08:20 PM
What kind of difference is there? I'm going to look at a 2001 aero wagon tomorrow. Is the 2002 that much better?

I'm not sure if it's only suspension, I think they reinforced the frame for the 2002 model as well.

They also bumped the engine from 230hp in the 2001 to 250hp in the 2002.

The 2002 also gets a better transmission for both auto and manual. The 2001 has a 5-spd, the 2002 has a six speed, (there are other differences with the automatic tranny I really dont know much about.)

--Matt