SaabCentral Forums banner

How does the 9-5 perform in the snow?

16K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  01stage295aero 
#1 ·
Got snow forcast around here soon last time i snowed i had a mk2 golf gti its was really bad in the snow just wondering how the saab would handle this weather this year.

#2 ·
Press the button next to the shifter marked "W" (if an auto) and go!

They do well. Maybe some snow tires if you think it will bad for the season.

#3 ·
Tyres will be the deciding factor!

If you get stuck, drop me a pm and I'll pop over in the AWD :p

#6 ·
For a FWD it is very good in the snow. of course with a good set of winter tyres...not all season, There where lots of snow last winter, but did not get stuck, even with well used winter tyres.

#8 ·
Once you figure it out, its great in the snow! ;ol; Even on crappy all-seasons...I got some Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires this summer and can't wait to try them out in the white stuff :D

#9 ·
How does the 9-5 perform in the snow?
In a word, awesome.

Drove from Santa's Village back to North Conway yesterday, and went by Mount Washington. It was white out conditions, and my first winter drive of the year. So glad I put my Blizzaks on before the trip. No problems with the handling. The only issue was the visability.

So to answer your question, awesome.

#15 ·
In a word, awesome.

Drove from Santa's Village back to North Conway yesterday, and went by Mount Washington. It was white out conditions, and my first winter drive of the year. So glad I put my Blizzaks on before the trip. No problems with the handling. The only issue was the visability.

So to answer your question, awesome.
My wife took these while I was driving. I think the pictures speak for themselves. Mind you this is route 16 that goes by Wildcat and Mount Washington Road.

The car did just fine for us. I do agree you need snow tires. That and not being a knucklehead and knowing how to drive in the snow.

Attachments

#11 ·
Ive done well in the snow/ice for the last couple of winters. Ive taken off the 17s and 18s and put designated 16s with NordFrost/Firestone Winterforce tires on and havent had any close calls. I live on a pretty steep hill that leads up to a main road and as long as Ive kept it in a low gear Ive been ok.

#14 ·
My car is jealous of yours, its my workhorse. It lives in the snow and salt all winter, I'll probably put on a few thousand miles in crappy Chicago winter in the next couple months. Snowsnowsnowsnow ;ol;

#17 ·
By the sounds of it tyres seem to make the difference I have Bridgestone potenzas on my 9-5 and it's not the best, not having much of a problem getting grip when taking off, its the damn corners on a slope that get me I've had a few sideways shifts.

#27 ·
All depends. Questions to ask yourself?

Does your state allow studded tires? No, then, no.

Do you travel to any states that do not allow studded tires? Yes, then, no.

Can you deal with the extra noise? No, then, no.

Do you get allot of snow ( I am talking about colorado, New England/NY, great lake affect snows, etc...)? No, then, no.

If you are a go on all of the above then why not.

#21 ·
Really not understanding the negative remarks about the 9-5's snow handling. I bought my car in February and had it out on the lake where friends ice race within a couple weeks of purchasing. The car handled amazingly around the 1/4 mile oval (and the rest of the lake for that matter). I had no problems on ice or snow-covered ice. The snow storms we did get after I got the car only bolstered my confidence in the cars' handling. This driving was done with the tires that were on my car when I bought it, UNIROYAL ALL-SEASONS. So blame the tires, blame the weather, blame the car but you're wrong. Taking into account common sense of course: not using high-performance tires in winter, tread depth, using caution, etc.

Granted, common sense is not a common virtue. :p

And no, I will not be buying Uniroyals again when these tires are shot. The stock rims will be swapped over to Cooper Weathermasters for winter and I'll be purchasing upsized aftermarket wheels/tires for summer...... after I pay for my wedding.

Since my first car, an '85 Camaro with a 350 and a manual tranny, I've always had a winter/summer set. I enjoy the extra peace of mind with dedicated tires. By the way, the Camaro never got stuck once. :cheesy:

#22 ·
It has to be the tyres that make the difference they provide the grip :D I had khumo summer tyres last year and I found them much better in the snow than the bridgestones. For the record I've never lost a car on snow or ice :)

#23 ·
Tires matter yes, but I can't believe people are saying they are all that matter. Patience, practice, experience, judgement and more than anything SKILL will make you good in the snow. Luckily the format of the 9-5 gives it a step up in the snow. I also turn my stereo off in the snow so I can listen to the road surface. I am a very auditory driver though so maybe I'm the only one.

#24 ·
Thank You. Well said.

And yes, there's a certain uncomfortable silence when you're moving along and suddenly have no traction. That and if you've ever hydroplaned in rain, you know how it is in snow. The car feels like it lifts and all of a sudden steering input isn't that effective. At that point experience and skill will be what saves your *ss from the ditch :cheesy:

#26 ·
I guess I am guilty of that too, the 2.3 HOT with open air intake is a great sounding engine.

#28 ·
Here's a fresh testament to just how good a 9-5 drives in the snow (and maybe a little bit to my driving ability). My 9-5 has some all-season Michelin tires with over 30,000 miles on them. Luckily for me, I had literally rotated them hours before this incident, but no matter what they are not even close to new and are not winter tires.

On my way home from work it had been snowing lightly, and I always want to know how slick it's making the roads so every now and then I downshift and bury it when it's safe to do so and see how much my tires spin. At one point about a mile away from my house I tried this and the road wasn't too bad. I continued as normal at about 45-50mph and at one point I was in the left lane with an SUV ahead 50 feet in the right lane and a sedan about 50 feet back in the right lane. Out of absolutely nowhere the SUV does a 180 and is aimed directly at me in my lane. I was looking into the woman's eyes who was driving and all I saw was "Please don't hit me and kill me". The road was certainly more slippery than before, but I buried the brakes for a second and ABS slowed me down a bit. We were both moving in the same (correct) direction, but it was doubtful that I would be able to stop in time so the only thought that went through my mind was that hitting the side of the car next to me wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as going head first into this SUV. I threw it in second and buried it while aiming at the right lane. Amazingly, I missed both the SUV and the other car behind me and kept traction (thanks to TCS) to stay in the right lane and not end up off the road myself.

Honestly, I don't know of another non-4WD/AWD car that I could have somehow managed this in. I wish I had a video of it - would have been some good Saab PR material. Everything Tailspin mentioned a few posts back really holds true here, but if I had been driving my old VW I'm 100% sure that I would be out looking for a new car today. I know not everybody gets lucky and no car is going to save you from any situation, but I'm sure glad I chose a Saab last year.

#30 ·
Agreed with the playing it sensible making all movements gently and not rushing into gears/accelerating or abrupt braking or steering. I'm on my 3rd Saab as it stands a 2.0lpt 9000cs, a 2.0lpt 9-5SE and my current Aero Wagon, all with manual boxes. Turning off the radio is something I do as well you can hear a lot that goes on, rev's/road surfaces etc. I'm not saying that my 9-5 is a bad car on the ice :) my old Mk1 Golf Gti was more difficult to handle on the white stuff but I never had any incidents with it (Or any car for that matter on ice/snow).

My feeling is the best car on a road with snow or ice is probably something small, low powered with narrow rubber, I'm happy with my saab and it's grand but I'd feel a lot happier with winter tyres rather than summer ones, and I'll be swapping them out for piece of mind. At the moment it's just mental here in Ireland with -13 degree Celsius temps at night and roads that are not gritted.

Cheers
Michael

#32 ·
It all hangs on the tyres [though driver competence plays its part] I have had this demonstrated to me by manufacturers more than once this year already.

In the UK winter tyres can seem a little over the top [original post is UK based] but they grip well under 7 degrees C where as summer tyres do not. Then add in the ability to perform in mud and snow [hence M+S rating on them] then for some they can be shrewd purchase. I'd love to afford two wheel sets for my cars with appropriate winter and summer tyres onboard.

#33 ·
i was driving home a week ago...i live on a one way street. as i turn onto my street a lady in a cts is dropping somone off. the passanger gets out, and the driver attempts to drive off. she cant catch traction and i have to get out of my car and push hers to help get her car moving =). i got back into my saab and took off no problem!!

#34 ·
Living in a Winter country allmost all cars are sold with two sets of wheels. One set of winter tires, one set of summer tires.
I personally run studdless snow tires, and they are a LOT better then my summer tires. And why people run all season tires I can`t understand. a/s tires are not very good in the snow, and not that good in the summer either.

And people use mabye 1500 usd on summer/ a/s tires and rims, but feels its expensive with say 500 usd for an ok set of snow tires ( that they can use on their old factory summer tire rims). Dont understand it, never will!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.