SaabCentral Forums banner

You know you drive a 9-5 when . . .

52K views 431 replies 152 participants last post by  hunt.dogshome 
#1 ·
-the top of each back tire is trying to touch the other.
-the steering column has scratch marks on it from other people trying to put the key in the wrong place.
-you revel in your ability to be faster from 40mph to 70mph than almost any car on the road while still getting 30+ mpg.
-people ask why your BMW looks so weird and you just smile.
-many of the parts for your simple repairs come from a hardware store.

Share your experiences owning a 9-5!;ol;

#3 ·
- your passenger can roll up all four windows without compromising comfort.
- you are the only person who can still read your SID.
- you are looking for a replacement wheel and all you find are star-trek references.

#219 ·
- your passenger can roll up all four windows without compromising comfort.
- you are the only person who can still read your SID.
- you are looking for a replacement wheel and all you find are star-trek references.

LMFAO that's how it was until i get a refurbished one..

- Everyone plays with your cup holder or thinks its cool.

#4 ·
Wait I thought of some:

-When you get in the car and your passengers ask what you're reaching for
-When nobody knows how to roll the windows down but you
-If people find it hard to not ask "What is it?"
-When you tell someone what you drive and the reply "Oh a SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB!!!!"

That's all for now.

#5 ·
Every mechanic gives you a funny look and asks why when you tell them what you drive
When it snows you're tempted to drive to show that you won't get stuck when others will
You become your own mechanic, because no one else wants to work on your car :cheesy:
Your rear seat passengers can have a nice toasty butt as well as yourself
Your car attracts owls when you let off the gas

#7 ·
-You squeeze a six pack into your glove compartment (soda of course!) and your passengers have no idea what you're doing.
-After meeting up with a large group of friends who drive nice cars, you realize that no other car there was built in the same country as yours, and nobody else there can make that claim.
-You've realized that the forums and information available for your car are extremely helpful, to the point that you've learned things that even the 25 year technician at your dealer doesn't know.
-Everybody tries to whistle like your lock/unlock sound.
-Having seen a picture of your car hit by a train, you feel pretty safe.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
-You drive around with engine electric parts in the trunk.
-You actually know what a "Scandinavian Flick" is.
-You can out-perform SUV's in snow.
-You aren't afraid to work on a European car.
-You told the person selling the car more about it than they knew
-People always pronounce your cars name wrong

#14 ·
-When you don't have to try and prove you car is fast by driving like d0ucher, because in your head you know it's faster than the VW that just cut you off.

-When someone asks what size v8 in under the hood

-When wash and wax your car more than clean yourself

-When you take your buddy for a ride... go to dunkin donuts.. and he says.. wtf where are the cup holders..

-When you get dirty looks from people who think you're a rich brat.. when your car is really 10 years old with 250,000 miles but looks new

-When you are on this forum more often than your old lady is on facebook :nono;

#15 · (Edited)
- you are planning to or already have painted a swedish flag on your engine cover.
- you build a bike rack for your roof bars with parts from the home depot because you are too cheap to buy real one.
- you fix your car with a bolt stuck in a random hose on the evap system.
- you have roof bars and mudflaps to compliment your lip spoiler and low profile tires
- you completely remove a fuse from your fuse-panel in order to turn off you lights.
- you check saabcentral while video-chatting your girlfriend

#16 ·
You know you're in a 9-5 when:
-Noone notices your turbo's sound but you
-Your car is only as good as you personally make it
-You have an extra 6in of crumple space between you and the door all of a sudden
.....aaaaand
-You LIKE to drive in the snow. But you can't convince anyone else why you do.

#18 ·
^^ this i do it all the time XD

you know you drive a 95 when you have a saab key chain a saab t-shirt and have deemed the shirt your favorite
you have to buy your spark plugs from the dealership or a website.
and when 93% of local indie's your friends and your loved ones advise you to get rid of that car because its expensive to fix.
you laugh at said people knowing that 50% of your repairs have cost you 20$ or less and you get funny looks

#24 ·
You know you drive a 9-5 when....

-you fear a flat tire just because you know what color your spare is.
-you have to fold down your rear seat to open your trunk at some point.
-You get REALLY excited when you see another one.
-Your phone is filled with nothing but pictures of you car, motor, reference pictures for other people on forums
-The first picture you took with your new SLR was of your car.

#25 ·
#29 · (Edited)
-You get odd looks because your bass is louder than the pimped Buick next to you.....and yours is stock.
-You have at least two sets of wheels
-You have sworn off having drinks in your car just because you can't.
-You have at least 6 receipts in your glovebox.
-It takes half an hour to take the wheels off, and an hour to put them back on.
-You've told people your wheels are painted gunmetal but they are really just covered in brake dust.
-One of your biggest decisions is which style replacement emblem sticker to buy.
-Your email address includes the word turbo.
-You're the only one pumping premium at the gas station.

#32 ·
You know you drive a 9-5 when...
-Everyone asks you what brand your car is.
-Everyone then asks you "Why a Saab?"
-Every mechanic you know tells you your car is unreliable and/or expensive to repair and tries to convince you to buy something else :roll:
-You drive another car and miss all the small thoughtful details of yours...
-You spot another 9-5 and immediately know the MY, engine size, trim level, color code, etc.
-Your keyfob is larger than your cell phone.
-You see '08' written somewhere and immediately think of the blend door repair.
-You laugh when you see the word 'turbo' on everything from vacuums to Internet connections. :lol:
-You find yourself tuning to the Weather Band when it's 80 degrees and sunny just because you can.
-People around smile when you use your windshield washers. ;)
-Your car doesn't have an ashtray. :cheesy:
-You store drinks in your glovebox.
-You find yourself cheering for Sweden at sporting events.
-You actually like wagons more than SUVs. :eek:

#33 ·
You know you drive a 9-5 when...

-You see '08' written somewhere and immediately think of the blend door repair.

Ohh that's good :p

#34 ·
-Nobody believes you when you tell them what you paid for it
-You find it hard to not overtake EVERY car on the road.
-You can't help but occasionally yell "TURBO!!!!" when you accelerate even if you are the only person in the car. (Okay maybe that's just me :p)
-You're never not having fun while driving.
-You begin to not lie driving other cars.
-You criticize the seats in all other cars because yours are much more comfy.
-People have never heard of some of the features on your car.
-You've gotten the middle finger because you tried to wave at another Saab driver and they didn't get it.

#35 ·
....when your Dad, who owns an auto repair shop and has 35+ years of auto repair experience and has worked on everything, says "You know, I really don't want to help you fix this thing when it breaks".

I've only needed his help once and that was when I did the timing belt. 4 cams, 3 hand-set tensioners, and no cam holder tools.... I needed extra hands to hold the cams, lol. Next time I'm buying cam holders!

-always turning to look at her before I go in the house
-friends playing with the cupholder
-pretty much everything in this post I agree with

I've had Freja since February and driven her 16k miles in that time (would have been over 22k but I have motorcycles too). I haven't once gotten sick of my car. I want more power, yes, but I still love her. :cheesy:

#36 ·
I haven't once gotten sick of my car. I want more power, yes, but I still love her. :cheesy:
Time for Nordic Stage 2 I s'pose. :cheesy:

And my grandpa, who has been working on cars since he was 15, said the same thing when I got mine. :lol:

#37 ·
- your father remarks that you are just weird enough to own a SAAB
- every extra inch of your spare tire well is packed with tools and parts just so your trunk looks empty and clean when you open it.
- you and your friend compare the sound that your trunks make when they shut and his Altima sounds remarkably like it is made of paper.
- you consider adding an electric exhaust cutout in order to make more noise when passing people on the road and then continue listening to music.
- cops literally ignore you when they see your car in the daylight.
- people freak when they find out your "cheap" car has real wood on the dash.
- you back into parking spaces because you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.