SaabCentral Forums banner

turbo spool sound aka not psssh

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ares 
#1 ·
i know someone one here got a really nice spool up sound with the install of a front mount IC and a forge dump valve. so im wondering how the hell do you get this sound. see you tube video below could it just be the tune Im missing ? as Im still running on the lpt tune (waiting on funds to get my new ecu hopefully next week)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-WI-kWImQ

anyway i know its such a simple thing but the fact that my turbo barely makes a whistle unless i really really get on it annoys the crap out of me

anyway heres my list of mods

open air intake with k&n filter
3inch dp
magna flow cat and muffler
Fmic
td-04 mitsu turbo swap
and soon to be 007 forge dump valve and ecu tune is that really all im missing from getting that nice spool sound when revving ?

#2 ·
what 9-5 do you have i have stock aero with open air filter and the turbo spool up is very loud, can be heard with all the windows up.

one thing did notice is that it makes no noise what so ever if you rev it while stationary, the car in that video seems to do it tho.

#4 ·
LPT stands for Low Pressure Turbo - so your LPT software is providing low pressure.......

High output or tuned cars run with higher boost pressure, and that will give you a "bigger dump" :x

Dont forget Saab spent millions making these cars smooth and quiet ;)

#5 ·
I was surprised just how loud the spool up and dump was when i installed my open air intake, my initial thoughts where theres no way i can live with this daily, Then i discoverd if i drove the car sensibly ie not boosting it up it was impossible to tell there was an open air filter on the car, there is just enough power off boost to get me from a-b when i dont want everybody to hear my car making silly noises.

i love the fact its still so quite when pottering about and nobody walking down the street suspects my car when they hear a turbo spooling behind them then a saab silently drives past :p

#6 ·
Alright mate i ran with an ebay mushroom filter for a laugh for a couple of days when my car was still a Light Pressure Turbo; and the sound was like the engine of a passanger aeroplane , so maybe your filter is not so good, or you still have some sort of restriction of something? Maybe try switching to a foam filter? I had K&N before this ebay foam mushroom, and it was much quieter, pretty much the same as standard, but you could hear the dump valve slightly more when letting off, all it took was changing the filter to change that. Can't think of anything else, as mine was a stock 2.3lpt at the time :S Maybe with those exhaust mods listed, the exhaust is loud enough to be drowning out any intake sound? Still, at 60mph in 5th gear, opening half throttle to get the turbo spooling but exhaust still quiet you should hear a loud whoosh of the suction from the turbo?

#7 ·
ya thats what im thinking its the filter and actually the exhaust isn't that loud. its actually fairly quiet any who. I'm thinking its the filter mines almost due up for replacement anyway but i think i may go for an itg filter down the line. but thanks for the heads up it looks like that was a foam filter in the video to. but anyway thanks for the input guys. ill keep playing around with it for a while. and ill let u all know on my findings lol. but i will have a build pics thread and such soon lol from the rebuild.

#10 ·
ya thats what im thinking its the filter and actually the exhaust isn't that loud. its actually fairly quiet any who. I'm thinking its the filter .
Ok then, its the filter........

#8 ·
Both my 9-5s had the intake... The sound is addictive!!! Gotta say that the GT17 in my LPT sounded a bit louder than the TD04 in my Aero. Add a quality diverter valve and it will sound really nice.

#9 · (Edited)
It really depends on your air filter too.. Mine is a Spectre with an OPEN bottom on the filter..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPZTbcR9Uo

In that video I linked I didn't have my splash guard installed yet (cut stock air box) Once I installed this it seemed to hold some of the noise back slightly... and also in the video my stock BOSH had a bad diaphragm so it might have been making it louder

My forge does not seem to be as loud.. it might be because I did my exhaust around the same time.. and now it over powers everything lol

#11 ·
I'm not 110% its the filter but thats what I'm going on. *shrugs either or ill figure it out I'm more concerned with filter performance then sound any way. really i would just like to know what kind of mods were done to that 95 in the original video. but thanks for all the input guys :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.