Maptun Perf coilovers vs. Koni Struts w/ H&R Springs [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Maptun Perf coilovers vs. Koni Struts w/ H&R Springs

JLazop3
20th November 2010, 09:23 PM
My question is this: Which is better for similar price?

Koni Sport Yellow Dampers w/ H&R Springs

or

Maptun's Performance coil over kit

go! lol

pacotaco
20th November 2010, 10:53 PM
ummmmmmm just get the konis

Saabman900
20th November 2010, 11:13 PM
Well, based on just my experience on H&R 30mm springs I say they are definitely worth it, and now with GS selling them for around $260.00 that's not a bad deal. I've been using stock Aero shocks with the springs all summer and so far no issues.

pacotaco
20th November 2010, 11:18 PM
Well, based on just my experience on H&R 30mm springs I say they are definitely worth it, and now with GS selling them for around $260.00 that's not a bad deal. I've been using stock Aero shocks with the springs all summer and so far no issues.

they are 35mm the votgotlands are 30's i belive you can get them cheaper from tire rack for 230

Saabman900
20th November 2010, 11:23 PM
they are 35mm the votgotlands are 30's i belive you can get them cheaper from tire rack for 230

These..? Description says they are 30..

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_46&products_id=142

EDIT: But hey, if you can get them on Tirerack for cheaper that's awesome.

pacotaco
20th November 2010, 11:30 PM
These..? Description says they are 30..

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_46&products_id=142

EDIT: But hey, if you can get them on Tirerack for cheaper that's awesome.

these are those, but the correct stats.... http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&group=Sport+Spring+Set&autoMake=Saab&autoModel=9-3+Arc+2.0T+Sedan&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=With+Rubber+Valve+Stems&partNum=29319.2&perfCode=P

Saabman900
20th November 2010, 11:40 PM
these are those, but the correct stats.... http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&group=Sport+Spring+Set&autoMake=Saab&autoModel=9-3+Arc+2.0T+Sedan&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=With+Rubber+Valve+Stems&partNum=29319.2&perfCode=P

Wow.. http://forums.yuppieracing.net/images/wink/stupid009.gif

ZENITH X
21st November 2010, 08:30 AM
What about the KW Coilovers? That's what I've got my eyes on.

johnnyrocket
21st November 2010, 10:24 AM
If you just want to lower the car go for the koni's and springs. This will keep somewhat of a ride quality, which if you get the coilovers goes completely out the window.

pacotaco
21st November 2010, 10:25 AM
if your willing to drop the money for them they are nice they will last a long time. The main issues if the v1 are moderate coilovers that only have height adjustiabality and i dont know how well the "active damper" system works, but they are about 1,200 and the v2s are 1,500 for just damper control and height. They are great if you plan on tracking, but you could spend your lifes time adjusting height and damper to get the perfect setup. the main thing about the kw's is they are not worth it if your looking for drop coils or something with good day to day peformance, But if your a track lover then they would be perfect. imho if you got the money and you want them, get them you woln't be dissapointed another member a while back has had them on his car for 3 years with no issues. if i have the chance i might sell my whole setup just for these coils.

JLazop3
21st November 2010, 06:40 PM
I just feel like the maptun coilovers are very cheap for a coilover kit, especially if they have better performance than the Koni/H&R setup... You say ride quality goes out the window w/ the coilovers? That isn't adjustable? Stiffness I mean, or is only height adjustable?

pacotaco
21st November 2010, 06:50 PM
I just feel like the maptun coilovers are very cheap for a coilover kit, especially if they have better performance than the Koni/H&R setup... You say ride quality goes out the window w/ the coilovers? That isn't adjustable? Stiffness I mean, or is only height adjustable?

no one have ever tried them the look custom built. but the reason why comfort goes out the window is because a coilover uses a stiff spring and a strut designed for the stiff spring application. so even with the shock on full soft the spring is still going to cause every bump in the road to be felt though the car. springs and struts are kinda the same but since the spring is wider the bounce is spread though the spring a bit better, also the springs are more designed for street use so the spring rate is not as stiff. the thing to keep in mind about coils vs struts and springs is coils are built from the ground up with one purpose and thats to provide the bestest :D handling characteristics not comfort, and the same can be said about kits like cup kits or eibach proline kits.

leetwoah
21st November 2010, 06:58 PM
has anyone paired lowering springs with monroe sensatracs? i have the ability to get sensatracs super cheap and i know they work for lowered applications and provide a great comfortable ride.

pacotaco
21st November 2010, 07:01 PM
monroe=junk.... your stock struts will work with lowering springs im as low as you can go on springs and ive been lowered on springs for more than a year total on the same stock struts.

JLazop3
21st November 2010, 07:21 PM
Would it be worth installing H&R springs on stock struts on my Aero if I have 45,000 miles on the stock setup? I plan on buying Koni's when I get the money I just don't know if it's worth installing the springs now or if I should wait and have them installed when I get the struts too (if struts are say 6-8 months away)

pacotaco
21st November 2010, 07:28 PM
Would it be worth installing H&R springs on stock struts on my Aero if I have 45,000 miles on the stock setup? I plan on buying Koni's when I get the money I just don't know if it's worth installing the springs now or if I should wait and have them installed when I get the struts too (if struts are say 6-8 months away)

i installed springs at 38 actualy i had them on till about 58 traded for the kaws that are much lower ive had on for a couple of weeks. my h&rs were on for a year no issues. im getting my konis some time this week.

JLazop3
21st November 2010, 07:34 PM
I was talking about it with my roommate too (07 mazdaspeed3) and he thinks my stock struts are too soft and i'd bottom out and the struts are toward the end of their life anyway (not dead, but getting there) so better to just hold the springs for when I get struts.. I don't know what to do lol. Also, it's about to be winter, and I go to school in the mountains, so I think I should just wait till spring and do it all anyway

pacotaco
21st November 2010, 07:36 PM
I was talking about it with my roommate too (07 mazdaspeed3) and he thinks my stock struts are too soft and i'd bottom out and the struts are toward the end of their life anyway (not dead, but getting there) so better to just hold the springs for when I get struts.. I don't know what to do lol. Also, it's about to be winter, and I go to school in the mountains, so I think I should just wait till spring and do it all anyway

if you got the bumpstops on your not going to bottom out the bumpstops are about an inch and a half tall. your struts have alot of life in them they can last about 100k.

JLazop3
22nd November 2010, 12:25 PM
How do I know if I have bumpstops? and I live in the mtns so I have bottomed out 1 too many times already (mainly just my front lip though)

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 12:29 PM
How do I know if I have bumpstops? and I live in the mtns so I have bottomed out 1 too many times already (mainly just my front lip though)
oh i bottom out all the time but your not bottoming the strut your just slaming on the rubber stop. All cars (or atleast saabs) come with bumpstops that keep the car from slaming on the valve. you might think your slaming the valve into the bottom of the strut, but your really slaming your top hat into a thick peice of rubber. i live in dc and i broke my exhaust from the slam of a pothole the other day... my struts are fine because i still have my bumpstops.

volcomstone2262
22nd November 2010, 01:52 PM
Do you have pictures of how low your car is? I havent seen recent pictures.

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 01:57 PM
i think im sitting on the bumpstops in the front and the rear i might trim them in half
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5176418328_a501492db6_b.jpg

North Toronto Punter
22nd November 2010, 02:23 PM
Very tasteful!

Those stock 16s painted (or powder-coated?) set the car perfectly (your winter setup?).

Love the Dave Barton decal (placed identical to mine [yellow moose, against blue background]). We could debate whether the decal needs to go down another inch :).

No tint? And what about getting e-codes (or simply night-shading the front orange bumper blinkers)?

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 02:26 PM
lol yeah i just painted the wheels with engine paint no big deal.
tint is too much and i dont really care for it

no e-codes because i cant pass safety with them and i can get a ticket.

i might just get a new bumper...

greenydsm
22nd November 2010, 02:38 PM
lol yeah i just painted the wheels with engine paint no big deal.
tint is too much and i dont really care for it

no e-codes because i cant pass safety with them and i can get a ticket.

i might just get a new bumper...

paco- whats your suspension setup in that picture? i like the way it sits

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 02:41 PM
paco- whats your suspension setup in that picture? i like the way it sits

K.A.W. springs on stock struts, and bumpstops. i hopefully will be ordering the dam konis this weekend or today idk

greenydsm
22nd November 2010, 02:47 PM
K.A.W. springs on stock struts, and bumpstops. i hopefully will be ordering the dam konis this weekend or today idk

What is the claimed drop with those springs?

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 02:58 PM
What is the claimed drop with those springs?

40 front 55 rear I belive... They are a lil tricky to get the are found in germany I think they found on I think on 2 sites.. They are like 270 then u gotta factor vat and shipping. I think its 3 months for shipping

volcomstone2262
22nd November 2010, 04:13 PM
Hmm those dont look that low in the back, or front.

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 04:24 PM
Hmm those dont look that low in the back, or front.

new tires in the front like 35 percent tread in the rear. and again i think im sitting on the bumpstops

its tucked in the rear and flush in the front

leetwoah
22nd November 2010, 11:26 PM
if you got the bumpstops on your not going to bottom out the bumpstops are about an inch and a half tall. your struts have alot of life in them they can last about 100k.

I beg to differ. i have yet to see shocks or struts that have lasted 100k. my stock struts have 41k miles on them and my tires are feathering. clear sign that the dampening is shot! i have had alot of experience with monroe and they put out a quality product. what makes you say their junk?

pacotaco
22nd November 2010, 11:34 PM
I beg to differ. i have yet to see shocks or struts that have lasted 100k. my stock struts have 41k miles on them and my tires are feathering. clear sign that the dampening is shot! i have had alot of experience with monroe and they put out a quality product. what makes you say their junk?

feathering is caused by bad toe and camber, blown shocks just make your car really bouncy thats about it. you must be jumping your car cuz ive seen lots of cars goto 100k on stock struts mine are completely fine and i have 60k. monroe is an alright company ive seen their struts go bad before, monroes are good as a stock replacement most likely not as a lowering option.

TutorMe
23rd November 2010, 02:29 AM
I have 80k miles on my stock struts (10k of those on megan lowering springs) and my struts are fine.

volcomstone2262
23rd November 2010, 12:14 PM
Me too actually.