SaabCentral Forums banner

Gas Mileage/9-5

21K views 88 replies 48 participants last post by  SJB 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Saab 9-5 turbo 4 cyl. automatic. and am wondering what other 1999-2000 Saab 9-5 owners are getting for gas mileage in the city and on the highway. I just installed a new K & N air filter ($60) and a new fuel filter and am anxious to see how much of a difference these 2 components make in performance and gas mileage.

#9 ·
Any tips on breaking past 420 miles to a tank with the v6? Fuel filter and plugs done within the past 800 miles. Guess I can't really complain much about 25mpg when I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it, lol.

#76 ·
Any tips on breaking past 420 miles to a tank with the v6? Fuel filter and plugs done within the past 800 miles. Guess I can't really complain much about 25mpg when I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it, lol.
420!

i also have a v6 and have a hard time getting past 350. And normally get closer to 310 a tank

Word? I am getting really crappy millage. 16.5 mixed... :( My DIC and Plugs is messed up though.
How do you know or test that you have bad DIC

#10 ·
I also have a V6 sedan and get about 25mpg average on the highway, however staying within the speed limit and not overtaking can increase fuel mileage by about 2-4mpg. I just replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump today, and my plugs have been done within the last 10k miles, so I'll be interested to see if there is any change to fuel mileage as a result of the fuel pump replacement.

When I drive in my normal semi-aggressive manner around town, however, my mileage is abysmal. The 9-5 really shows its intended design as a highway car, and slaps me with anywhere between 13-17mpg as a result.

#11 ·
Another V6er here, I get around 21-23. Probably 70/30 highway/city driving, and I'm hard on the throttle sometimes. Second most fuel efficient car we own! ;ol;

My friend just got an '04 2.3T and I was going through the SID....16 mpg!!:eek: But he did just buy it and it's a fast car.....;) It'll probably adjust once he starts driving it "normally" :lol:

#14 ·
#17 ·
2000 5-Speed Manual 2.3t

I averaged 36MPG's on my 250 mile trip back home from NJ where I bought the car. But since I've gotten home I've averaged about 23-25MPG's in mixed traffic.

Stock for now, just picked up oil&filter and got new spark plugs and the K&N Open Air filter in the mail yesterday.
I'll update once I've driven her for a while after everything has been changed.

#18 ·
I guess i get pretty crappy mileage compared to ya'll...NY driver with a 2008 saab 9-5 2.3L 4 cyliner turbo...my dad use to get about 22 mpg strictly highway and steady driving at 55mph...once he gave it to me, the son with the heavy foot, i've been getting 15mpg thats a mix of highway and city but mostly city. dealership told me it was winter gas, i kind of dont believe them. though my gas mileage was around 17.5 in august...can it really make that much of a difference?

#24 ·
First off, next time you take a highway drive clear the MPG's on the SID once you reach your cruising speed and try to maintain what would be your "normal" speed. Secondly, there is a substantial difference with Winter versus Summer fuels. I have just about a 100 mile round trip to work (at a dealership or as some like to state here "stealership") daily and my mpg's dropped 5 mpg when the Winter fuel came out. Of course make sure you have the correct spark plugs installed as well as a clean air filter (and correct tire pressures) and you should average between 28 and 33 mpg yet that depends on the weight of your foot. :lol:

#25 ·
One question. I see many variations of spark plug recommendations around the site, and I want to be clear on this.

Stock plugs in a 99 9-5 2.3 are an NGK BCPR7ES11 #1095

I've seen others say use the NGK BCPR6ES11 #6779 plugs which is a higher heat range.The lower the number, the higher heat range.

I have a tuned ecu, so use the hotter plugs?

#27 ·
So I just did the "feared SEAFOAM" treatment with no ill effects. After about an hour of searching the internet I decided to not follow what anyone else said and I ran 1/3 of the can through the vacuum off the Diverter, and the rest through my gas tank. I didnt run it through the oil because I just changed it i'm lazy.

Results.. TONS of smoke for about a half mile... but not nearly as much as I expected watching videos..

Ran through about half of my full tank of gas..

May just be me, but the engine seems smoother and the power feels more direct (like it doesnt have to work as hard to push out the ponies)

And my best result... I and stop and go all day long for 10 hours a day in the city... U turns... always shutting the car off and restarting it.. my overal MPG average was at 18.1.. after the SEAFOAM its up to 22.3 and I did not change my style of driving or conditions at all (same gas brand).

131,000 miles by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.