SaabCentral Forums banner

Headlight Question

925 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SaabonDeck 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 95 Aero and i was wondering if there is a place that either blacks out the reflective backing on the headlight, or sells them already black? I'm not looking for a tinted unit as I just tinted the turn signals.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I'm assuming you mean the chrome inside the headlight, and particularly the reflector used by the "flashing" halogen to the inside of the Xenon projector. You're gonna have problems with an easy solution in the case unfortunately. No one sells an aftermarket black unit, and if they did, it would be VERY expensive because the entire headlight is a sealed unit. I've known only a few guys in Sweden that have done this to a 9-5, and it involves heating (baking) the headlight unit to soften the glue around the edges and slowly pulling it apart. Once you do that, you could strip the chrome off and paint it black, or perhaps cover it with a blackout film of some sort. Not sure how hot it gets in those units however, and a film *could* wrinkle up or melt after a while. Needless to say, I HATE the chrome inside our headlights, but due to the invasive procedure just described above coupled with the risk of ruining a $500+ headlight assembly, I have not attempted this. If you take it on, make sure to do a write-up here!:cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.