SaabCentral Forums banner

plastic vs aluminum air intake piping(sound)

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
what up everybody i`m new to saab central got a question about the great air intake mod on the 9-5`s.first off i own a v6 as you can see,so i understand i`m not getting as much boost as some other models.but i feel as though my air intake isn`t as loud as other`s ,i was trying to figure out if the fake chrome plastic 3inch dia. x 4inch long spectre intake pipe i`m using could be muffling sound.,also who removed hood liner (insulator)for sound, and liked it.also i`m not using k&n didn`t want any chances with oil on maf,so aem dry flow it is 21-2038dk aem.

#4 ·
^^ +1 Ive tried both no sound difference really actually its kind of annoying what pita it is to get that nice turbo whistle when revving or accelerating. :\ a fmic full manga flow exhaust 3inch dp .later and I STILL do not hear the sound although i will say it has gotten a little better after the new exhaust which is nice but still. Anyway getting off topic i was told by my tuner that the only way to get a nice turbo sound is to make the exhaust as free flowing as possible (within legal limits of course) now if your referring to the pssst sound its not going to happen that sound comes from air being vented into the atmosphere by a bov our cars vent the air back into the motor to prevent boost loss through acceleration. thus there is a psst sound of sorts but it will never be loud like on some cars.

#5 ·
now if you're referring to the pssst sound its not going to happen that sound comes from air being vented into the atmosphere by a bov, our cars vent the air back into the motor to prevent boost loss through acceleration. thus there is a psst sound of sorts but it will never be loud like on some cars.
I know what you're saying, but with an open air filter, even with my auto, the psssh,wooosh, kerrrrsch or whatever sound my car gives off will make anybody jump if they are walking down the street and I go by them, it is pretty loud. But you are correct in it is not going to be high pitched like a ricer BOV.

#6 ·
Plastic vs metal intake

This morning i was thinking about buying, and hopefully getting a little more sound out of a forge even though everyone says it isn`t much difference with loudness only distinct sound.so i`m looking at the bypass dv trying to figure which way is reverse configuration,than i noticed the top (v6 engine: Fat rubber hose on top of dv, metal intake pipe to the left,dv head pointing to the right)hose connected to the dv is basically hanging on,and not flush,also i replaced 4mm vac hoses dumpvalve and a couple more to y piece.i havent pushed the dv in to the connecting hose to make it flush yet but hoping that could be the problem.also no cel at all.

#9 ·
This will fix it for ya!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saber-Dump-Va...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2306518e64

Or if you really want the sound:

For Those Of You Who Want An Extreme DumpValve Check Out The New Saber XL Edition "Xtra Loud" Louder!!! Clearer!!! More In Your Face!!! Awesome!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saber-EDV-V3-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23073b113c

I'd probably fit two of them and get a double blow (off) job :eek:

And the best news:

Q: Would this fit a Citroen saxo?
A: Yes, its universal fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.