SaabCentral Forums banner

EPC Yellow stuff or Red stuff?

6K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  av_dumitrascu 
#1 · (Edited)
EBC Yellow stuff or Red stuff?

All,

I'm changing brakes all round, on a '00 Aero. Going to go for OEM discs (or brembo plain), and either EBC yellow or red pads.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I want them to work when cold, not to be squeaky or noisy under braking, and to provide better performance with less fade on twisty back roads. (not asking for much i know!).

I'm currently on OEM all round, and they just fade out ridiculously.

My commute to work is only 10 mins on a country road, so I need them to work cold and not be squeaky/noisey. But at the weekends it regularly gets asked to stop, and I'd like to be able to stop more than once!

I hear that the bedding in process is an issue with the reds, as is disc wear, not hearing much about the yellows, so any advice happily received.
Also re: discs, I'm not sure If I should go for grooved discs on the front, again any advice happily received.

Thanks,Colm.

See less See more
#4 ·
I would suggest:

1. Replace brake lines with braided
  2. Replace brake fluid with 5.1
  3. Replace discs with plain brembo or OEM
Pad recommendations could maybe come from the members here, as I am a bit biased :confused:

#5 ·
I would suggest:

1. Replace brake lines with braided
  2. Replace brake fluid with 5.1
  3. Replace discs with plain brembo or OEM
Pad recommendations could maybe come from the members here, as I am a bit biased :confused:
Well, given that you restored my car to its wonderful self the last time (courtesy of your bolt-mod), I'll take the advice!

My fluid is well overdue a change, so that's definitely worth doing also.

Now for pads, mmmmmh, maybe Ferodo ds2500, although they may not be very pleasant for 'normal' driving...

cheers Chris

#6 ·
I replaced red stuff with DS2500 and was very pleased, but this was with brembo calipers although I am sure the same should apply to standard calipers.

Brake fluid refresh can be a transformation!

#8 ·
None of those ....not at all... but again I must stress I had a different set up to standard ;)

#10 ·
I regularly run EBC yellowstuff a lot harder than Chris 9-5 will have ran any other EBC product with no issues, they are very similar in performance to Ferodo DS2500 pads without the price tag.

Don't bother with upgrading the rear pads, just use good quality replacement or OEM here.

Slots and stuff? They'll help a little but add to the purchase price and add noise too.
I have to ask, when was the brake fluid last changed?

#15 ·
Watch the Greens like a hawk. they are designed for lighter cars than the 9-5 and have a habit of breaking off the backing plate leaving you with zero friction material. From memory the same thing happened to Chris on the Redstuff as well, EBC didn't seem overly concerned about it happening either! :roll:

#20 ·
Regarding Green and Red stuff pads:

Prevoius owner of my car had the Green stuff pad come away from the backing plate.

Replaced with Red Stuff.

These were in my opinion poor. To put into context I replaced with a 'generic' brand for less than half the price and they were much better!
P

#21 ·
I know of 3 occasions where Greenstuff have seperated from the backing plates on 9-5's so its more than a one off occassion. The Redstuffs i ran for approx 18 months were fine but very abrasive on the surface of my Brembo rotors. Heard nothing but praise for the Ferodo DS2500 on more than one car forum but never used them.

#22 ·
Im an EBC supporter and have been for years without a single bad thing to say. From dirtbikes, motorcycles, downhill mountain bikes and my cars, every EBC product have preformed flawless. Redstuffs may not be as grippy when cold as an oe type pad, but that ought to be something you know before you buy them. Get them heated up and they grab like crazy. Choose your pads based on how you drive.

I would never put different pads on the front and rear either. One will potentially be compensating for the other and lead to premature wear or even failure. If I remember correctly, thats how Chris 9-5s redstuffs failed on the rear.

#24 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly, thats how Chris 9-5s redstuffs failed on the rear.

Yep it was definitely the brembo four pot calipers bodged onto the hubs acting as front brakes with the DS2500 pads that caused the rears to sheer off their backing plate.......and ofcourse there is all the guidance on the product about this too.....

EBC say they have revised all their compounds now and have widely stated on performance forums that they do not wish to enter into discussions regarding earlier ones (even though there were absolutely no problems with them - clearly!)

I just replaced all the brakes on my Impreza........cant say what I used incase it comes accross as me being baised against a brake friction product manuafacturer who supplied pads which detatched from their backing on my family car..........

And breathe...............and I'll take this to my next therapy session............

#26 ·
;oops:;oops: Sorry fellas ;oops:;oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.