Black suede interior - Phase 1 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Black suede interior - Phase 1

comtrang
03-11-10, 02:16 AM
I hate NG900/OG9-3 headliners. They're all the same damn ugly color and I've been talking about doing something about it for awhile. I just spent about an hour correcting part of the problem which is the ugly colored A-pillar panels.

The things I used to do this:

-1/4 yard of black microsuede from JOANN. Cost about $3.
-LOCTITE Professional Performance Spray Adhesive. A big 13.5oz can was $10

Also bought 1/4 yard of some soft cotton-like padding for 75 cents but I ended up not using it because there was really no reason to.

This really isn't difficult, it's as easy as removing, peeling off the old fabric and rubbing off some of the remaining foam that's stuck to the main area of the pillar, using it to cut out a new piece from the suede, spraying the adhesive onto the bare plastic, and adding the suede. It was a little messy on the first one - I used a little more adhesive than necessary so it soaked the fabric a bit and got on my hands. The passenger side one went by more smoothly.

Without the old, ugly fabric
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-1.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-2.jpg

Rub off some of the remaining crumbly, loose sh!t
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-3.jpg

Spray
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-6.jpg

Layover
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-9.jpg

Apply some to the inside
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-10.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-11.jpg

Reinstall
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-17.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/comtrang/HOTLINKS%20FOR%20SAAB/-15.jpg

I don't think I'll mess with the headliner until I'm back in Kansas City over the summer because I'm not in the mood to remove the necessary bits to get to the whole headliner. This was just a start, more than anything out of curiosity. I've never messed with anything upholstery-related and it was kinda fun to do something that doesn't require opening the hood or laptop, for once.

fiveiron9688
03-11-10, 09:54 AM
That looks really nice...definitely a boost to the interior. Are you thinking the same color for the headliner?

I wonder how it would look to do the A-pillars in a vert...

comtrang
03-11-10, 10:45 AM
That looks really nice...definitely a boost to the interior. Are you thinking the same color for the headliner?

HUGE boost to the interior, now that I see it this morning.. my friend's Viggen had the entire headliner etc. in black suede and it made it feel like a totally different car on the inside. I definitely am looking to do the same thing with the headliner, just not until I'm in a more convenient place to take things apart.

I bet it would look awesome on a vert! I haven't been in a Saab vert but I know I'd love my a-pillars to stand out more - they really do look 100x better than stock.

Tan997
03-11-10, 07:01 PM
This looks amazing!!! I also have a black on black interior and would love to do this! What is JOANN?

Props to you for doing this man!

comtrang
03-11-10, 07:26 PM
This looks amazing!!! I also have a black on black interior and would love to do this! What is JOANN?

Props to you for doing this man!

Jo-Ann is a fabric/craft store. We have it in Kansas City and here in Salt Lake City, too, so I just assumed it to be all over the place. You can get black microsuede from pretty much anywhere, though.

SUPER easy to do the a-pillars and the cost for the fabric isn't much. The headliner's gonna be a whole different beast but not impossible.

redciv1
06-11-10, 05:05 PM
Very nice. I just took my headliner down and in the process of replacing the material. You mentioned going to Joann's for the fabric. I may take a trip to Joann's. Did you get the foam from there also. I thought about putting the fabric directly to the headliner board but wondered about the glue soaking thru as well. Also I am here in Atlanta and need a good heat safe adhesive as well for the humid and sultry summers.

comtrang
06-11-10, 09:49 PM
Very nice. I just took my headliner down and in the process of replacing the material. You mentioned going to Joann's for the fabric. I may take a trip to Joann's. Did you get the foam from there also. I thought about putting the fabric directly to the headliner board but wondered about the glue soaking thru as well. Also I am here in Atlanta and need a good heat safe adhesive as well for the humid and sultry summers.

How was it, removing the headliner? I wasn't planning to do it til I got home back to the shop because I don't think I can be bothered to remove everything here. Is it a pain to do?

On the pillars, I didn't even use any foam because there really wasn't any underneath the fabric besides on the edges and that was glued on the plastic so I left it.

I've read different things about adhesives on forums so there's options out there - Loctite, 3M, and another 'healiner adhesive' specific brand.

But if the headliner isn't too tough to remove I may just go ahead with it.

redciv1
07-11-10, 09:13 PM
^^^The headliner took all of about 15-20 minutes to remove. I do not have a sunroof so basicall you unscrew the visors and the grab rails, use a screw driver to pry out the two visor lights if you have them. Be careful of the top front light console near the mirror. You can pry howver there are 2 screws that you need to take out. In the rear there are 2 oval plastic pieces that you have to pry slightly then turn 180 degrees I believe and then they come out. The headliner goes under the front seatbelt holder, so you have to partially take loose seat belt to get the headliner out. I pulled straight thru the back hatch. It was really simple. BTW, you already took the A-Pillars out so you were 1/8 done. Oh, and toward the back of the car you can pry the quarter panels slightly to get the headliner up and over to slide out. You will see when you get to that point.
EDIT:
I just looked at one of your pictures and I see you have a sunroof and your top console is a little different, but still should be doable. Try it!!!!

comtrang
07-11-10, 09:20 PM
^^^The headliner took all of about 15-20 minutes to remove. I do not have a sunroof so basicall you unscrew the visors and the grab rails, use a screw driver to pry out the two visor lights if you have them. Be careful of the top front light console near the mirror. You can pry howver there are 2 screws that you need to take out. In the rear there are 2 oval plastic pieces that you have to pry slightly then turn 180 degrees I believe and then they come out. The headliner goes under the front seatbelt holder, so you have to partially take loose seat belt to get the headliner out. I pulled straight thru the back hatch. It was really simple. BTW, you already took the A-Pillars out so you were 1/8 done. Oh, and toward the back of the car you can pry the quarter panels slightly to get the headliner up and over to slide out. You will see when you get to that point.

Thanks, I wonder if I've been making it out to be harder than it is. I'll have to give that a try next weekend, maybe..

The only thing I've been concerned about is how it will look if the suede isn't wide enough to cover the entire width of the headliner, if that makes sense. I didn't want there to be an obvious line where it comes together. That's getting ahead of myself a bit, though. I'll report back with pictures and ideas if I get started on it tomorrow.

zachc
07-11-10, 09:49 PM
very nice dude. its amazing how much of a difference it makes.

comtrang
08-11-10, 12:32 AM
Thanks, I agree. I don't even notice them as I get in my car but I think that must be a good thing. Pretty excited to rip out the headliner.

doorcheese
08-11-10, 01:27 PM

fantastic, i did the top and arms of the A pillar, you got to pull off the sun visors and the light fixture

i also did the door insert and i might do the floor runners too

thanks comtrang for the idea
this is a very fun inexpensive project

comtrang
08-11-10, 03:24 PM
fantastic, i did the top and arms of the A pillar, you got to pull off the sun visors and the light fixture

i also did the door insert and i might do the floor runners too

thanks comtrang for the idea
this is a very fun inexpensive project

Ha, thanks for getting ahead of me on it so I can get more ideas from it. Would you mind posting some pictures of your progress? I'm curious what it all looks like and I'm not sure what you mean by the 'tops and arms' of the A pillar. Also, how do you remove the door insert? Drew had his done too but was never sure how to remove those.

doorcheese
08-11-10, 08:37 PM
mines a little different cause i have a vert
the suede has a nice manly smell
i will post a pic tomorrow, but im a little shy on my craftsmanship

but im talking about the bar that goes across the top of the windshield, where the sun visor is and the soft top hooks go in

to get the fuzzy door panel off, you have to use a screw driver to pop off the top half of the door handle that exposes 2 screws inside, remove those, then remove the door handle, then you can peal that panel slowly from the door

fabric glue worked fine to attach the fabric to this panel, but in order to reattach the finished panel to the door i had to use a stronger super glue

shaner3721
08-11-10, 11:40 PM
Great thread! I have been wanting to try this to my a and c pillars for a while now. Might have to get to it this weekend now!

-Shane

comtrang
09-11-10, 11:05 AM
mines a little different cause i have a vert
the suede has a nice manly smell
i will post a pic tomorrow, but im a little shy on my craftsmanship

but im talking about the bar that goes across the top of the windshield, where the sun visor is and the soft top hooks go in

to get the fuzzy door panel off, you have to use a screw driver to pop off the top half of the door handle that exposes 2 screws inside, remove those, then remove the door handle, then you can peal that panel slowly from the door

fabric glue worked fine to attach the fabric to this panel, but in order to reattach the finished panel to the door i had to use a stronger super glue

Oh okay, that makes more sense. I'll give the door panels a go next, those won't be nearly as hard as the headliner. Just post the pics, nobody here is judging :lol:

Great thread! I have been wanting to try this to my a and c pillars for a while now. Might have to get to it this weekend now!

-Shane

This really is an awesome change to the interior for those who don't want to spend money on other mods at the moment (me). At this point, the only thing that can get better is the tune and that's as good as it's gonna get right now so I figured why not spruce up the interior with a nice, manly smelling microsuede :cheesy:

doorcheese
10-11-10, 02:28 PM
manly smelling suede

comtrang
10-11-10, 03:39 PM
Nice! I'm still not sure how you get the door card off but I'll look at it when I get some time.. not gonna do it just yet, anywho.

shaner3721
11-11-10, 12:58 AM
Removed my a and c pillars tonight. Also took off the fabric on the a pillars.

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz118/Shaner3721/33e462a7.jpg

Gonna pickup some fabric this weekend

redciv1
12-11-10, 02:04 PM
Nice job. Waiting for my fabric to come for my headliner. I'm also gathering my I.C.E components as well so I will go ahead and clean the headliner of the old material and get it ready. I don't think the headliner will be a major issue. I will try to remember to post pics as I go.

straycatkid
12-11-10, 02:58 PM
This is really making me want a Talladega interior in my black on black car. But I do like my black seats...Hmph.