SaabCentral Forums banner

Downpipe flange

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Meatbiscuit 
#1 ·
which downpipe flange do i need from genuinesaab that mounts to the stock turbo? i'm confused as to which one, if they even carry a stock flange as i'm making my own downpipe out of some of our stainless steel here.

#3 ·
I believe if you're going with 2.5" downpipe you would go with this (but I don't have any clue why you would go with 2.5" other than the look of stainless steel) and if you're going with a 3" downpipe you would go with this. I'm curious to know how your downpipe turns out if you make it. I'm so close to finishing up my own 3" cat back exhaust and thought about attempting a downpipe sometime in the future.

#4 ·
oh i'll let you know, looking at both of those i still think i'm just going to cut out a flange of my own and form the tubes. i'll be going with 3" since we have a ton of it laying around (diesel engines etc.) just gotta get a cat and a cheapo flex pipe and weld the rest of it up and whatnot. probably going to go with just a magnaflow muffler at the end and no mid muffler since i don't care much about noise. i'm probably going to get started with it in a few weeks or less, so i'll post some pictures of the process and stuff. i would have bought my own but $500+ for something i can do in a few hours and some free pipes sounds a lot better :D

#5 ·
for something i can do in a few hours and some free pipes sounds a lot better :D
Just speaking from experience... I got mine done this morning and it will take you more than a few hours to do this unless you have a plethora of tools at your disposal. A good bandsaw would be really helpful to make nice straight cuts. I did mine with a reciprocating saw and it was a pain and the cuts never quite came out straight. Also, I'm no good at welding and had a cheap welder so if you're really good and especially if you have a TIG welder at your disposal, you could really make a sweet setup.

I can't comment on the downpipe, but to make the exhaust from the cat back (mine took the place of the large flex pipe because it was broken) and assuming you are leaving out the flex pipe, you will need:

About 7 feet of 3" tubing
4 45 degree bends
1 90 degree bend
Whatever muffler you feel like. I used a Dynomax, but Magnaflow would have worked fine too.

You'll have to cut some of the bends down to make everything fit correctly, but with these 5 bends you can follow the stock routing. Don't try anything different... trust me. Originally I thought I would have enough clearance to drop the exhaust down and below some of the driver's side suspension but the exhaust ended up only being about an inch from the ground ;oops:... Needless to say it came back off.

#6 ·
yeah i have a ton of tools at my disposal at the shop - mandrel bender, mini waterjet, mig and tigs, etc. that's why i'm attempting it. believe me if we didn't have a lift or any of this i wouldn't try it. I did a good job on my stainless exhaust on my mustang so i figured i'd give the saab a shot. should be easier than a 5" downpipe, and exhaust that we did on my fathers F250 lol - though i'm wondering... 5" exhaust on the saab... hrmmmmm :D

the only thing i'm gonna have a problem with is finding a 3" cat in a place around here, so i'd probably have to order a cheapo one. i can't wait to replace this rusted *** muffler and pipe though lol

how big of a pain would it be if i ran no cat? i mean i live in florida and have several vehicles without one, i just wnat to know how the T7 would handle it, or if there is a way to not throw a code or light if the cat was off.

#7 ·
how big of a pain would it be if i ran no cat? i mean i live in florida and have several vehicles without one, i just wnat to know how the T7 would handle it, or if there is a way to not throw a code or light if the cat was off.
Depends is yours an early or late 2000, the early models have only one O2, they don;t miss the cat, the later ones do and will throw a code, look for a second O2 sensor...

You can buy a 3" cat from Jegs pretty cheap and Genuine Saab has a nice race one as well, not so spendy.

You can use a resistor to jump the second O2 to prevent the code, but I am not sure if inspections in FL would be annoyed and its a 1000 federal crime to not run one and besides if Fs up my air as well as yours...so why not run one...

#10 ·
i live in winter springs, so yeah central florida - right now i just cut the muffler off, it was falling off anyway - setting in motion my 3" exhaust in the next few weeks, i wanna get it done since the rest of the pipe is rusted. the connector between the mid muffler / resonator and the downpipe is completely rusted. i can't even get the nuts off so i'm just going to get the pipes and cut the damn thing off :D

and yeah , there are no real laws here for florida. hell i drive my 67 mustang around with 3" dumps off the headers and i'm okay :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.