SaabCentral Forums banner

will 3" downpipe only add noise?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jssaab 
#1 ·
I want to go to maptun stage 3 on my aero, one thing i love about my car is how quite it is, for stage 3 i understand i need the 3" down pipe but im worried about how noise they car will be afterwards, can anybody give me an idea of how noise it will be?

#2 ·
With the stock catback in place there is little difference, only a bit deeper tone. However the stock catback is very restrictive, and stage 3 will run VERY poorly with it (I tried it for awhile on my car and do not recommend it). If you want to replace it, I highly recommend the BSR/Simons catback. Running a Genuinesaab 3" downpipe and Simons catback on my car... it is as quiet as stock, with a deeper fuller tone. Absolutely smitten with the sound and I am sure you will be as well!

Got some sound clips in the videos at the bottom of this page:
http://photo.stipud.com/v/saab/exhaust/

As you can hear, very quiet! Impossible to hear in the car; the motor itself is far louder.

#3 ·
I'm running Nordic stage 3 on my 9-5 Aero and stage 4 on my Viggen.
With the 3" DP and 2.5" cat back you will find a slight increase in exhaust note. All depends on your muffler. I had to put in a resonator for the Viggen cause it was little loud for a cab. My wife drives the Viggen and that is another reason. In terms of air flow restriction, I didn't notice much of a difference, I had the cat removed and put back for emissions and didn't notice s difference either. Good luck.

#4 ·
I have a Jak Stoll 3" DP with full 3" system and magnaflow exhaust. My system is rather loud at speed and I may add a center resonator. The turbo spins so much quicker. Especially noticeable at a stop -- when you give it a good amount of gas from a stop it easily spins the front wheels. :cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.