Mod and Tuning Path - 2000 Saab 9-5 SE [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Mod and Tuning Path - 2000 Saab 9-5 SE

Imhotep1963
23rd December 2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the group but not new to Saab. I have an '89 9000 that I just recently "put out to pasture" and just bought a 2000 9-5 SE (3.0 v6). So my question is in multi parts.

I've doing quite a bit of research and there are a ton of wonderful products out there but I'm not sure at this time what needs updated in the model that I have? I can't seem to find a service manual for this model. So my first question is "How can I found out the details of my model?" And if the answer is the manual, "Where can I purchase one?".

The next question is about the upgrade path that I should follow. I feel that I should start with the simplest such as filters and then go to the exhaust system. Is there a resource that outlines this or can any of you illustrate this for me?

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm sure I'll be spending a ton of time here!

Jim

Simon
23rd December 2003, 10:53 AM
Welcome to Saabcentral Jim!

I'm afraid there is no workshop manual currently available for the 9-5.

I'm not aware of any ECU mods for the 3.0 V6 models which would have been the most effective route to go down.

A filter and exhaust system isn't going to give you a huge power hike, probably in the region of 8-10 Bhp.

Imhotep1963
24th December 2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks Simon for the reply!

What about things like delivery pipe, high performance cat, cool air delivery, removing the turbo silencer, etc. I figure if I get 10 bhp's here and there things should add up. Also with the suspension, if I mod that the ride itself will be enhanced.

Any thoughts?

Happy holidays to everyone!

":^)

Chris 9-5
6th January 2004, 07:43 PM
What about things like the suspension, if I mod that the ride itself will be enhanced.

My 9-5 lost so much speed due to the standard suspension and brakes. Slowing down early for corners, backing off on sharp bends, might as well have a 100bhp car! :cry:

However I had the saab roadholding kit with upgraded anti roll bars fitted, grooved brake discs and pajid Fast road pads fitted and it was like adding horse power! You can brake later and more efficiently, you lose less speed on bends, and forget all that lurching when accelerating or braking the car is much more balanced. :wink:

I'd do the brakes and suspension, add an high flow air filter then see if your 200+ horses feel better :cheesy:

Imhotep1963
16th January 2004, 12:21 PM
That's a great idea! I was thinking about new pipes from the cat back! I feel that if I make a change to the system after I get used to the ride (and have the extrat cash :wink: ) I'll feel enough in the ride improvement to give me a charge!

:cheesy:

Thanks for the info!!