SaabCentral Forums banner

charge pipe?

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Meatbiscuit 
#1 ·
Ok this might sound dumb, but is there any alternative to the charge pipe (?) on the engine besides the stock plastic crushed pipe? anyone make a full round metal one or anything or is it just something that has to be custom made?

reason i'm asking is because i have 2 blow off valves laying around ( a real hks ssq) and a perrin that we had on a wrx here. the perrin is a recirculating but the hks isn't. i figured if i made my own charge pipe i could mate the hks to it and be fine, though i don't see any places offering new pipes. anyway if anyone knows, share some info thanks!

btw the charge pipe i'm refering to is the one from the back of the motor going to the front, the plastic one, sorry if i'm using wrong terms. :D

#3 · (Edited)
Alternatives

1. The 1998 and 1999 versions of the 9-5 came with an aluminum pipe equipped with silicone (?) hose elbows at the ends. You may be able to get one cheap from a junk yard or recycler.
  2. Various aftermarket part fabricators have made and sold larger diameter charge pipes. GenuineSaab from the US, Abott Racing from the UK, and StreetGear from Sweden. I believe only Abbott still makes one although they other two may do it as a special order. Nick at GenuieSaab built a beautiful pipe but dyno testing showed these larger pipes actually decrease the engine horsepower :eek:. This may be caused by Saab's choice of location for the Turbo By-Pass Valve.
StreetGear (www.streetgear.se) pressure pipe for 1998-2001 cars. $294USD w/o shipping

Abbott Racing (www.abbottracing.net) pressure pipe. $520USD w/o shipping

ps - WhiteT5 is correct. You cannot run a blow-off valve on these engines due to the engine managment system (T7) software.

#5 ·
Its called the delivery pipe, and there is no gain in upgrading it until you are way over 300bhp.....

You cant use any type of blow off (vent to atmosphere) valve on these cars the ECU sees it as an air leak :nono;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.