SaabCentral Forums banner

Front Mount IC.

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  unpunkrock 
#1 ·
From what I've gathered when people install a front mount, not in the stock spot, they leave the stock intercooler in because it holds the ac condensing unit.. right?

I guess first of all, has anyone moved their ac unit to a different position and taken out the stock ic?

My ac doesn't work anyways, I'm not sure what the problem is, but is it worth it to fix the ac, or just take it out when I get a new ic? I live in Wisconsin, so we really don't have that many unbearably hot days. I survived last summer without it. :cool:

Just throwing an idea out there.

#2 ·
-whether or not you want to fix the ac is up to you. if you think you can live without it then by all means yank it all out. (condenser, lines, etc) its actually a good amount of weight reduction. lol.

yes most people just leave the old IC in the car(i did this when i had a FMIC on my 9-5)

#12 ·
??? well i guess it almost gets in the way, but when i did my FMIC my oil cooler wasnt a big deal. One of the lines was somewhat in the way but it is flexible and easy to maneuver around.

also, from what i could see, the ac condenser is mounted directly to the stock IC. so i dont believe you could remove that IC without coming up with something else to hold the condenser in place.

#15 ·
i just left the stock one in the oil cooler and the radiator both bolt up to it unless u have a machine shop and welder handy its easier to just leave it in its all aluminum anyway so the weight reduction would be like 1.2 lbs if that lol. I'm not 100% sure but isnt it like every 100lbs equals 1-2hp or something like that

#17 ·
Thats been done before and yes you'd get the benefit of improved airflow and retain the stock mounts ;)

#23 ·
Stage 3 Front Mount Intercooler

Hello All,

I remved the AC core as well as the stock intercooler on my 01 9-5 Aero-S Conversion to fit in a Front Mount Intercooler I purchased for a Honda.

It took a long time to set it all up.

If you would like to see pictures and info look on my car domain.

Feel free to ask me anything about it :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3802727/2001-saab-9-5-carlsbad-ca-us

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.