SaabCentral Forums banner

HID fogs and Xenon upgrade!

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Peter Martin 
#1 ·
Ok guys I finally got this complete today. 5000K HID kit for the fogs and 6000K bulbs for the factory Xenons. It's almost a perfect match! Waited until almost dark to take pics so they may be a little blurry due to low light. They look a little bluish in the pics, but both the Headlights and the fogs are white white because we don't want that ricer stuff on our SAABs :cheesy:

First, fogs and city lights ONLY:

And now + Xenons!

See less See more
#4 ·
I used these from superbrightleds.com:

Scroll down slightly from the link above and you'll see them. They are rated at 5500K, but they are closer to 4500K IMO. You can't tell from my photos, but they aren't as pure white as the headlights and fogs now. They are a little too dim as well beside the HIDs...I'm thinking of some different ones from that same page though because the site lists bulbs that are closer to the Kelvin range/output I need to match the HIDs..

Cheers!

#5 ·
What kit did you use for the fogs? Any thing come up on the sid with the current draw from the fogs being less than the standard bulbs? My NG900 gave me the "headlight out" when I went from halogen to HID.

Looks great, I thought 6000K was supposed to be blueish, but I guess not. What is stock 4300k ?

#6 ·
What kit did you use for the fogs? Any thing come up on the sid with the current draw from the fogs being less than the standard bulbs? My NG900 gave me the "headlight out" when I went from halogen to HID.

Looks great, I thought 6000K was supposed to be blueish, but I guess not. What is stock 4300k ?
Both the kit I used for the fogs and the upgraded D1S bulbs for the factory Xenons came from HIDExtra.com. Nothing on the SID as I don't think the fogs are tied into that system. No problems from the new headlight bulbs either since they are the same 35W. I had to experiment a bit with bulb temperatures to get it right because I definitely did not want that bluish look. I ordered 5000K for the fogs because I had also heard that 6000K was bluish as well. To match, I ordered the 5000K for the headlights first, but when I installed them they were BARELY whiter than the factory and didn't match the whiteness of the fogs at all, which surprised me. I ended up calling the company and they sent me another set of 6000K D1S bulbs to swap out, and they were a MUCH better match. Maybe there was such a difference because the D1S bulbs are probably manufactured by a totally different company than the H8 kit.

#11 ·
You may be right man.

Yeah just to be clear to all I only did a bulb swap on the headlights and that's it. If you don't have factory Xenons you need the whole HID upgrade kit with the ballasts, wiring, new bulbs, etc. For the fogs you need an entire kit regardless. My fogs are H8 bulbs because I upgraded my front bumper from the original 2003 Aero bumper to the 2004/2005 Aero bumper. The original bumper takes an H1 bulb, and there's a little fabrication you have to do to switch those over to HID as it's not as simple as mounting the ballast, plugging in the wiring and installing the bulbs...:cry: I found a how-to (albeit for a jaguar) for upgrading H1 fogs to HID here if you are interested: http://goo.gl/6B1n

#12 ·
Does anyone know if the upgraded projector fog lights from genuine saab for the non aero 2005 and older front bumpers are fairly plug and play, or do they require about just as much modification as the stock fog lights? I'd imagine the light output from HID lights would be better suited to the projector lenses. I do realize the projector lights themselves without HID still require some modification as far as connecting things go, I'm just wondering if anyone has insight or has had experience using HIDs after the lights are already working fine with halogens.

The bulb type is H3.

#13 ·
Quick Q, my friend has 2004 9-5 without Xenon's and the city lights are burnt out on it. Are they the same size as our city light bulbs and will the LED's work for that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.