SaabCentral Forums banner

More air intake questions.

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  y3r0k 
#1 ·
Hello Again so What is the difference between a cold air intake and switching the stock air box with a after market air intake? or by putting the cone style filter in does this become a cold air intake?

#2 ·
Personally I prefer the term "Open Air Intake"

So if its no longer in the stock air box, its an open air intake ;)

The difference is that the induction and boost / dump sounds are louder "out of the box" but theres no performance gains :nono;

#4 ·
The 9-5 essentially already has a "cold air" intake setup stock. By replacing the stock box with a cone filter in the fender you are putting on a less restrictive (usually just cleaner) system that will allow a "blow off" type sound to be produced by the turbo. If you want to hear what it sounds like, this is a video from when I first did mine a while back. I talk for about 100 hours in the video because I was excited when I first did it, so just skip to the time points I listed to hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPZTbcR9Uo

#6 ·
that's a sweet sound youve got there. so i have the air filter and a 3inch piece of exhaust pipe for the connection between the airfilter and housing. but ive seen in other peoples post that the metal pipe has a handle on it can this be made by soldering or does it have to be a weld?

#8 ·
More so that the stock set up, but only marginally.

#9 ·
ok so i just experienced my first fail haha, the 3inch exhaust pipe doesnt fit into the airfilter :( where can i find the metal adapter that comes with the K&N kit or do i just need a smaller pipe? Alternatively should i just force the piping into the inlet?

#11 ·
its 3 inches to 3 inches so like it just connects to it like when you try to put two straw together one doesnt go inside the other unless you bend one... im going to take the filter with me to auto shop tomorrow and find one that ill fit ill try the oil thing too.

#13 ·
Ok so i have the intake and the splash guard im going to be installing it tomorrow before work hopefully. but quick question i made the splash guard from the old air box like in this thread

http://84.40.23.30/forums/showthread.php?p=1365974

and here is a picture of my splash guard did i do it right?
also do you think the mounting bracket i fabricated will work?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.