SaabCentral Forums banner

Oversizing Exhaust Question

791 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  imdunne8 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am very new to both the saab and turbo world, but very, very pleased to join. I have moved from an N/A integra gs-r to an "03 9-5 aero. As these engines are so incredibly different, I have to learn the principles of engine management anew. I would like to boost the power, but can't risk unreliability, thus I am considering my first mod to be a 3" exhaust. I know turbo cars don't require back pressure to prevent over scavenging and high temps, but does properly tuned exhaust velocity (via exhaust diameter, bernoulli effect) play a role in turbine speed/resistance? thanks.

#4 ·
Yes! Don't forget to increase the downpipe diameter too. As you can see in my signature I have the 3-inch GenuineSaab downpipe feeding a slightly bigger exhaust system, maybe 2-1/2 inch diameter.

#3 ·
Putting on a 3" exhaust is fine, no bigger than that though!

Full system with downpipe and race / sports cat will improve spool up.

Cat back will just make a nicer noise ;)

#5 ·
Cat back will just make a nicer noise ;)
A good 3" (or even 2.5") cat back should also decrease backpressure and can lead to more power. It's usually a stage 2 upgrade, and you add the 3" downpipe at stage 3. I know that's the case for both Nordic and BSR.

No matter what, an exhaust won't do you any good without a tune. Search around through the performance section, there's loads of information on tuning your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.