SaabCentral Forums banner

Day time running light mod

10K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  MacNoob 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I know there was a post somewhere asking about how to turn off the day time running lights... I remember reading all this whacky tacky stuff about adding a switch and wiring and all that junk....

All you have to do... is turn the light switch in between the first and second notch and they will stay off... I did this actually by mistake and I'm sure a lot of people know about it.. but I thought it would help out the original OP that posted the question.

See less See more
#3 ·
I did this once, but was scared that I might burn something out :lol:.

One thing you can do is just pull the fuse out for the daytime running lights.

I've been doing this for a while now and just forgot to post it. I checked the headlights with a amp meter and it just cuts the power off to the lights... same as pulling the fuse.. this is because when the switch is in the middle, no electrical contacts are being made. Safe and easy DIY !

#10 ·
Im not wasting my time its a three trigger switch you are trying to add one by leaving it in the middle of two, enough said.

Yea most cars will shut off when you click the brake up one notch. I dont know why everyone is so worried about this switch.. It's not going to break it. Id rather do this than the fuse.. because I dont have to have to put the fuse back in every time I want the DRLS. There really is no damage...the switch is meant to be turned and it doesnt matter what position its in.. having it in the middle would be doing the same "damage" as turning it from off to on or vis versa on the normal settings. There's no difference. Tell ya what.. when my switch breaks.. (which it wont) I'll let you say I told you so... but you better still use the forums in 10-15 years because that's how long it's going to be

#13 ·
It's just a method implemented by various manufacturers to turn the DRL's off when you're stopped. It's sort of a safety feature because you should never have your DRL's off while driving (that's the opinion/law of some countries), and you rarely use your hand brake while driving, so the only possible time to turn them off is while stopped. Sometimes I might want to sit in front of my house and stay warm in the car while waiting for someone to come out at night but I don't want to shine my lights into my neighbors house. The parking brake on some cars solves this issue. The "fourth position" on our Saabs does the same thing.

#16 ·
I don't get it... pull the fuse, use the left setting to have no lights. If you want DRLs then just leave the switch on the far right. What is the issue? The DRL fuse is totally pointless, since it makes your left and right positions do basically the same thing (only difference is it won't allow your fogs to come on, but that is also manually controlled, so who cares??)

Of course the switch won't break, but why complicate things when you could just pull a fuse? Meh.

#18 ·
If you leave the switch halfway between two trigger points there is a danger that one trigger point could inadvertently become partially engaged. This would mean that the same amount of current would be running through half the contact area, or worse, half the overall current is running to your drl relays which will under-volt them and cause a premature failure of the relay. Pull the fuse and stop risking your relays and switch contacts.

#26 ·
I know some people still think this is stupid, but here's my take. With the DRL Fuse pulled, you get no DRL with the switch off (which is good) but to turn on your "DRL" you turn your headlights on. This also turns the tail lights on. I know this isn't all that big of a deal. Anyways, assuming you want DRL's on (which I do) here are your two options:

1) Remove fuse, turn headlights on which also turns tail lights on. To turn DRL's off just turn switch to position one.

2) Leave fuse in, have DRL's on at all times but tail lights off unless headlights are in on position. To turn DRL's off, turn switch to new/fourth position.

There's no real reason to argue here (and I'm not trying to with this cause there's far better things to argue about :)) but I'm just trying to show people the options. I personally feel that since I want to use DRL's, I will take the chance of breaking something on the switch over replacing the rear bulbs more than necessary.

#28 ·
I know some people still think this is stupid, but here's my take. With the DRL Fuse pulled, you get no DRL with the switch off (which is good) but to turn on your "DRL" you turn your headlights on. This also turns the tail lights on. I know this isn't all that big of a deal. Anyways, assuming you want DRL's on (which I do) here are your two options:
All the more reason to do it in my mind. Too many idiots these days driving with only DRLs on and no taillights at night! Major peeve of mine. :nono;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.