Origin b2 camera detector group purchase [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Origin b2 camera detector group purchase

David!
21st December 2003, 01:30 PM
Is anyone interested in a group purchase of the Origin b2 camera and laser speed trap detector? As members of Saabcentral a trade deal can be arranged.

Info is here.
www.originb2.com Their site
www.originb.com Our site

If 5 or more people are interested the price drops to £273.30 PLUS vat @17.5%
Thatís Just £321.12 each. Thatís a saving of over £100 on retail prices. Next day delivery would be £6.50

The Origin b2 only works in the UK.
It goes with out saying all units are brand new with a full guarantee. And 6 months free updates.

what price would you put on your licence :-??

I have asked Simonís permission to post this as advertising is not done!!

You wont be disappointed with this product.
This post in no way endorses speeding on public roads. :nono;

greenphotos
21st December 2003, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a fantastic idea, I agree about the price on the licence. I'd also loose my job if I couldn't drive there :o

I'm just reeling from my gearbox rebuild but other wise I'd love to get one.

Mark
:cheesy:

john-w
21st December 2003, 05:33 PM
Thats a good price, best iv'e seen is £349.00 as a buy-it-now price on e-bay and these are ex-demo units.
I also wrote to origin this week about a trade-in, they will give you £110.00 for the old origin i unit, but that still leaves a balance of £320. You can get between £150-£200 on e-bay for the origin i units, so you could get the new unit for about £120, if you manage to sell off the old unit on e-bay.

Anyway after all that count me in!! :-? :-? :-? :-?

David!
22nd December 2003, 05:20 PM
What price do you put on holding a licence??

Marrk
28th December 2003, 01:10 PM
I bought a beltronic 930 radar and laser detector off ebay, USA, and got it for £87 delivered within 5 days. It covers all bands and so far picks up local K and Ka band radar successfully. I haven't ventured into speed trap areas yet but I am confident that it will do the job. The similar UK Beltronic 550 costs between £350-450. Speed Trap uk was recently selling 10 band Cobra sets on ebay uk for around £60-70 which he obviously had got a job lot from the states but these same detectors can be had for about a lot cheaper delivered direct from america.
These US spec detectors seem to work okay in the UK or he wouldn't sell them as he also sells all the UK spec stuff also at the more costly prices.
Are we being ripped off by UK retailers?

Alex
28th December 2003, 05:38 PM
How easy is it to transfer the Origin from car to car? Do I have to buy a mounting kit and GPS pickup for each car that the Origin is to be fitted to?

sintec
30th December 2003, 08:37 AM
if you are still looking for people to make the bulk buy - put me down from one.

if not i'll got it alone ;-)

David!
30th December 2003, 05:57 PM
So far We have a list as follows

[1] john-w
[2] sintec
[3] alex??
[4] n*****e (wants to be private about this)

Only one more to go and the deal can be done!!!

john-w
30th December 2003, 07:51 PM
How easy is it to transfer the Origin from car to car? Do I have to buy a mounting kit and GPS pickup for each car that the Origin is to be fitted to?

I can get these aerials, you just need another bracket.

Munki
30th December 2003, 08:11 PM
So far We have a list as follows

[1] john-w
[2] sintec
[3] alex??
[4] n*****e (wants to be private about this)

Only one more to go and the deal can be done!!!

When are you looking to buy? I get my bonus in February. Unless I can put it on the credit card of course! 8)

doopydug
31st December 2003, 06:37 AM
I'll ave one mate

Count me in

Alex
31st December 2003, 04:17 PM
How much would I be looking at for some brackets and the ariels. I potentially have 3 cars which would require the mounting kits :oops:

griffiths_sean
6th January 2004, 05:53 AM
hey i live in australia would those things work or do they run off like a cell phone link to the provider.because how would it detect an accident im intrested cheers. ( soon my first car will hopfully be a saab 9000 turbo 1990 model is 4950 australian dollars good....

sintec
7th January 2004, 02:49 PM
hi griffiths_sean, I thought i would try and answer your post. The orgin does not detect accidents it simply advises of known accident blackspots(or where lots of accidents have happened in the past) once the unit has been updated (via the internet) it acts as a GPS receiver and notifies you when you get close to any of the entries in the database - these include static cameras and accident black spots - hope that explains it for you. Oh and the one we are talking about is for the UK only.

philo
16th January 2004, 02:15 PM
Put me down for one - thanks

David!
16th January 2004, 05:48 PM
So it looks like we are there with five people.

[1]john-w
[2]sintec
[3]alex?
[4]doopydug
[5]philo
[6]munki??

Is it close enough to febuary yet munki? credit cards are no problem!

Please private msg. to confirm details so I can get these off in the post to you!

David!

David!
16th January 2004, 07:16 PM
So it looks like we are there with five people.

[1]john-w confirmed
[2]sintec confirmed
[3]alex?
[4]doopydug confirmed
[5]philo
[6]munki confirmed

Please private msg. to confirm details so I can get these off in the post to you!

David!

Alex
18th January 2004, 08:06 AM
[1]john-w confirmed
[2]sintec confirmed
[3]alex confirmed (plus 2nd car kit)
[4]doopydug confirmed
[5]philo
[6]munki confirmed

David!
18th January 2004, 02:22 PM
[1]john-w confirmed
[2]sintec confirmed
[3]alex confirmed (plus 2nd car kit)
[4]doopydug confirmed
[5]philo confirmed
[6]munki confirmed

If I dont already have your phone number and address please private message them to me.(alex, philo)

I will try to call you all tomorrow to get the units sent out!

David!

sintec
21st January 2004, 09:22 AM
David, Just wanted to say thanks for organising this - mine arrived yesterday and I haven't had a chance to play with it fully but so far it's grand :D

Gareth

john-w
21st January 2004, 04:26 PM
Yeah thanks alot David, mine was delivered today, so will play with it tommorow!!

David!
22nd January 2004, 05:08 PM
Have you all got them now??

doopydug
22nd January 2004, 06:54 PM
Got mine too. Am fairly new to this forum but feel most welcome particularly when I can get involved in group purchases etc.

Looking to get a mate of mine who is handy with his multimeter and screwdriver to fit mine next week!

Looks top notch btw - many thanks Dave!

Munki
22nd January 2004, 07:17 PM
Yep, got mine today. Just got too decide where to mount it now!

David!
22nd January 2004, 07:34 PM
As to fitting. 9k I know about. 900 I have no idear as I have not done one yet!

doopydug
22nd January 2004, 07:37 PM
As to fitting. 9k I know about. 900 I have no idear as I have not done one yet!

Any tips or online resources?

Me got a 9K 8)

David!
22nd January 2004, 07:51 PM
Hi

Mine is in a 9k! I have mounted the unit above the air vent in the centre of the dash. All cable hidden by removing the walnut bit. Laser pick up by the rear view mirror. GPS about a foot from the pillar on the passenger side. Center of the dash is good too, but not on the screen side of the sun sensor for the ACC. The wiper arm gets in the way! I will try to post some pix tomorrow.....

David!

Alex
23rd January 2004, 03:50 AM
Mines still in the Cardiif depot of Initial CityLink :evil: :evil:

Apparantly they have tried three times to deliver, but didn't bother to leave a card. They also won't leave it at a neighbours house unless given permission by the sender.

sintec
23rd January 2004, 03:57 AM
Mines still in the Cardiif depot of Initial CityLink :evil: :evil:

Apparantly they have tried three times to deliver, but didn't bother to leave a card. They also won't leave it at a neighbours house unless given permission by the sender.

Well it depends on the driver - I got the same response when i told them i wasn't going to be in but the driver was sensible and left with a next door neighbour. Mind you some CL drivers are not so sensible once a friend of mine got a card through his letter box saying they couldn't deliver the parcel because they couldn't find the address! :oops: :roll: go figure

David!
23rd January 2004, 01:52 PM
pic as promised!

David!
23rd January 2004, 02:03 PM
Oh and a free origin to anyone who can the read the exact mileage on my car!
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

David!
23rd January 2004, 02:07 PM
and another!

David!
29th January 2004, 07:30 PM
Have you all fitted them now? Including who ever bought one for a friend :!

David!
29th March 2004, 01:38 PM
How are you all getting on with these?

David!

mikej
29th March 2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah, i want to know if it has saved anyones bacon yet?

Thinking of getting one but just not sure.

Reviews please chaps.

Matthew
30th March 2004, 06:55 AM
I bought an Origin B2 at Kodak. First impressions are good, although I haven't relied on it yet as the factory database is badly out of date and I shall update it this evening.

It's one of those devices that's easy to use and just gets on with the job. I didn't know there were SPECS cameras on the M1 until the Origin B2 fired up an alert for them on Sunday.

The big moan I have with these devices is that they don't include the sites of mobile traps. The Police are obliged to publish these sites in advance, and there's no reason Origin Technologies couldn't increase the user-value of their product 300% by including these in the database. The overhead would be significant, but not unfeasible given the hundreds of users all paying £50/year subscription.

The user waypoint feature for me will be very useful. I have a terrible habit of not noticing pedestrian crossings :oops:. I can now program the device with the locations of these crossings and receive alerts upon approach.

Another good feature is the six-figure map co-ordinates and compass bearings. Apart from the novelty value, it's useful if you breakdown and need to specify your location to the recovery service.

Ultimately though I bought one of these things so that I can drive fast and safe without living in fear of the dreaded "Notice of Intended Prosecution". A speed-trap warning system will eventually become mandatory for all of us who drive intelligently according to the prevailing conditions.

Mark P
30th March 2004, 07:39 AM
I didn't know there were SPECS cameras on the M1 until the Origin B2 fired up an alert for them on Sunday...

:o

Neither did I! (slightly worried now)

Whereabouts were you when it fired up Matt?

Tone_Depear
30th March 2004, 09:02 AM

172676?

Matthew
30th March 2004, 10:49 AM
I didn't know there were SPECS cameras on the M1 until the Origin B2 fired up an alert for them on Sunday...
Neither did I! (slightly worried now). Whereabouts were you when it fired up Matt?
I joined the M1 at J6A and left at J7 or J8 (can't remember - it was for Hemel Hempstead). The Origin B2 indicated that I had joined in the middle of a SPECS zone.

Origins are pre-loaded with whichever database is current at the time of manufacture. In this case, the database is datestamped October 2003, so perhaps the SPECS were for temporary roadworks and aren't there anymore. Heading West on the M25 there were ten or more Gatso alerts for temporary 40MPH roadwork zones which had long since disappeared. It's unusual AFAIK for SPECS to be used for enforcement of temporary roadwork limits though.

It should be noted that all these spurious alerts will disappear once I update the unit with the current database. Since I didn't arrive home from London until 4am this morning, I haven't yet had the chance.

ragtopcav
30th March 2004, 11:20 AM

127818? :cheesy:

Abbott 900
30th March 2004, 11:59 AM

175878 ??? :wink:

David!
30th March 2004, 12:20 PM
Competition closed :cheesy:

Tone had me seriously worried there for a moment. milage today is 172 976. Tone's guess was 172 676 :o :o

Miles in the pic were 170578

David!

Matthew
31st March 2004, 04:36 PM
Instructions with the B2 say to go to www.originb2.com and click on the "my B2" section to register the unit. I must be going nuts, as I can't see that link anywhere... can someone help? :-?

David!
31st March 2004, 04:40 PM
A common problem.

Click the my b2 button it is there!

David!

If you hover the mouse over the my b2 link it brings up a menu under it!

Matthew
31st March 2004, 05:00 PM
If you hover the mouse over the my b2 link
I can't even see that! :(

Here's a screengrab of my browser window:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/origin_website_screengrab.jpg

David!
31st March 2004, 05:04 PM
very strange! 2 screen inches to the left of the win a b2 is the button you need to click though your sreen dump does not show it!

David!
31st March 2004, 05:06 PM
does this help?

http://www.originb2.com/register.cfm

David!

Matthew
31st March 2004, 05:31 PM
Yup, got it now - thanks. I have no idea why the myB2 link was not visible in either Opera or Internet Explorer :(

Registration on the site is painless, and the update utility works very well. I wonder how often Origin update their database. That last sentence does point to one of two slights concern I have about the unit.

Origin staff visit every reported camera site to verify that there is an active camera at that location. With fifty new sites being reported every day, and camera levels expected to rise from 4000 now to 13000 in 2005, the lag between new camera installation and database update could be significant. In fact, it could be terminal for your licence.

Another concern is the GPS lag. If I accelerate hard from 60MPH, at 90MPH the lag is 10MPH - that is, the Origin reads 80MPH when the car's actual speed is now past 90MPH.

These are only slight concerns really, and they're no reason not to buy the product. The GPS lag is a consequence of triangulation calculations in a small unit. The database latency is due to Origin having only five or so people to checkout the camera sites, and wanting users to be able to rely on the authenticity of camera alerts.

When I do a permanent install on the car, I'll take a few pics.

Alex
27th April 2004, 03:32 PM
I'm very impressed with the unit. Was has surprised me are the number of DS2 sites in the surrounding area. There are 3 on the five mile stretch of road that runs from the motorway to Caldicot.

Only slight niggle is the cradle isn't the most robust around and the head unit does vibrate slightly (will see if I can tighten the screws slightly). The head unit also doesn't have a positive lock into the cradle (its restrained by two small magnets) and has disconnected itself crossing rough roads on a couple of occasions.

Munki
27th April 2004, 03:43 PM
My cradle has failed :cry:

However a replacement unit has been agreed with no quibble! 8)

David!
27th April 2004, 03:43 PM
On cars with very hard suspension ie Porsche 996 Turbo4 a small piece of blue tack cured the problem. I dont know where the customer put it but he was happy with the result!

David!

Alex
27th April 2004, 03:50 PM
I will try with the blue tack under the adjustable 'foot'.

The rest of the unit works very well, has also shown that the speedo on my 8v is very accurate. 75 on the speedo was registered as 73 on the GPS :D

My lodger was also impressed with the compass facility on one of the data displays.

David!
27th April 2004, 04:00 PM
Origin staff visit every reported camera site to verify that there is an active camera at that location. With fifty new sites being reported every day, and camera levels expected to rise from 4000 now to 13000 in 2005, the lag between new camera installation and database update could be significant. In fact, it could be terminal for your licence.

Another concern is the GPS lag. If I accelerate hard from 60MPH, at 90MPH the lag is 10MPH - that is, the Origin reads 80MPH when the car's actual speed is now past 90MPH.

These are only slight concerns really, and they're no reason not to buy the product.
When I do a permanent install on the car, I'll take a few pics.

The indicated speed on the origin can be as much as 40 mph slow if you accelerate hard enough! The unit still has correct gps location so will warn of a camera.

AS to updates I have been through the road works on the M25 several times recently and each time the gatsos have been moved. The origin was spot on giving plenty of warning. I think I have covered about 6k since I fitted mine and have not seen a camera that was not covered. Donít forget councils have to get planning permission for them so origin can usually get a site on the data base before the camera is liveÖ..

David!

Matthew
27th April 2004, 04:50 PM
Alex, where did you locate the headunit, laser head and GPS antenna?

Alex
27th April 2004, 06:22 PM
The GPS is located in the rear most passenger side window of the 5dr, as close to the glass as possible where it seems to work well. On many occasions it can find 8 satellites to lock onto. The 2drs unit will probably go on the high level brake light, but I couldn't do this with the 5dr with the opening hatch.

I removed the sucker from the laser head mounting bracket and have fixed this directly to the dash top where it sits below the height of the wipers but with a clear view of the front.

The head unit is mounted in the well on the dash top, where it is in easy view of the me, but sits below the sight line of the wipers and so doesn't get in the way of my forward visibility. I find the GPS speedo easier to read than the one on the dash.

zingZACH
27th April 2004, 09:59 PM
They should make one of these little things for the USA

Matthew
31st May 2004, 09:02 PM
Travelled up to Chester and back this weekend. I'd like to know why the Origin B2 reckons total mileage was 118, while dashboard trip says 138 :evil: Same story on the return journey.

It also got the journey time wrong - reckoned 1h 30m, when I'd been on the road for approximately 2h.

Any ideas?