SaabCentral Forums banner

when will those mustangs learn?

4K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
can some body explain to me why mustangs owners are so pig headed. my friend has a 5.0 mustang gt. we raced and as you guest the saab domiated. but why is he so happy that his car kept up with mine till about 40 mph. should he be happy that his 2 door coupe wit a 5.0 v8 kept up with a 4 door luxury sedan with a 2.3 4 cylinder till 40mph then was left in the dust? maybe he is just as stubburn as us saab owners?

#2 ·
I remember driving home one night and out of the city limits a mustang pulled up next to me in an 80km/h zone and was being a pig head and took off, so I floored it and caught up and passed him very quickly, and his headlights kept getting smaller. At the next stop sign he pulled up and tried AGAIN, and he kept up until around 50km/h and was left behind once more.

#5 ·
It's just a thing with Mustang owners. My friend kept telling me how cool and fast his new Mustang was and wanted me to drive it. It's about a 2000 model and a 6 cylinder engine. If he wasn't such a good friend I probably would have just started laughing and turned around after a block because it made my old VW Golf feel fast.

That isn't to say all Mustangs are slow.... the one a few houses down from me does an 1/8 mile in 6.90s and has ~625whp (tested on a track). I know there's faster out there, but his is pretty impressive and I don't plan to race him anytime soon.

#7 ·
mustangs have some pretty impressive power for such a stripped down, simple car. The whole idea behind the design (much like shelby cobras) was to put a big engine in a (relatively) smaller car.

for its time, the 5.0 was a monster. few cars put down 220hp without forced induction in the 90's, and back then few cars could keep up. Nowadays, new econo-cars are putting that much down without sacrificing gas mileage.

i would actually also be impressed if my early 90's stang even held a candle to a newer saab, honestly i dont think its a fair race. your aero against an 02+ GT would probably be much closer.

#8 ·
I'm a Mustang and Saab owner so be careful. ;) :lol: But really, I'm NOT like that. I know my 43 year old car can't even touch my Saab. Funny to think my Saab has the same power as the Mustang from the factory. :lol:

#9 ·
Those older mustangs are a true piece of art if they have been kept in good condition. My friend's grandpa's for example...

But if you want to compare power, you have to be fair and take torque into account. I have a feeling that if your Saab had the same amount of torque as the Mustang, there wouldn't be much of a comparison. Then again, if that were the case then our Saabs wouldn't be any fun to drive! :)

#14 ·
well...I would not try a dragrace against my friends 71 mach1 mustang,it has 351c with chi heads and intake, headers, roller rockers , new cam. has around 400hp. About the same weight as my saab, but almost double the power (only got 220 in my saab)

And a mustang with a V6 is not a real Mustang. A real Mustang has a V8 (somtimes with a supercharger :-D )

#17 · (Edited)
But the SOUND is still better from V8.

One benefit with a vintage mustang...the v8`s are so simple to work on.
On that 71 mustang, taking out the enginge takes less time then it takes me to change oil, filter and spakplugs. Dismatled the v8 today(stoker kit going in to the engine) so easy....i wish my t7 was so simple to work on .
:cheesy:

#19 ·
back to the honda post up there. i agree with that fact that most o the time those silly honda are nothing to break a sweet about, but i would be cautious of some of them. my friend from springfield,MA built a 10 sec honda that is a daily driver and runs on pump gas

#21 ·
yeah i know there light. and the fact that they take off their powersteering systems plus there A/C systems. less work for the engine. Im able to pick my friends rear quater up off the ground. so yeah there light but you have to admit they still go like crazy. horse power or not, a honda with 170 wheel horse can beat my 2001 aero. but lets face it I'm a luxury snob and like going fast with class

#30 ·
Maybe you are reading the Torque ( in NM?) there is no way you can get that much power from a TD04 turbo, its way beyond its efficiency range and if you could your EGTS will be through the roof ( are you monitoring anything on the Dyno?

How are you adjusting Boost? You may be able to get those numbers by keeping the waste gate completely closed ... for about 10 seconds before she blows, but then of course not even forged pistons woud save that from happening...

Did you say you had cams and gears are you adjusting timing?

#31 ·
Maybe you are reading the Torque ( in NM?) there is no way you can get that much power from a TD04 turbo, its way beyond its efficiency range and if you could your EGTS will be through the roof ( are you monitoring anything on the Dyno?

How are you adjusting Boost? You may be able to get those numbers by keeping the waste gate completely closed ... for about 10 seconds before she blows, but then of course not even forged pistons woud save that from happening...

Did you say you had cams and gears are you adjusting timing?

the dyno guy just re do completly the ecu and the car is running perfect the turbo is spooling great don't say i gonna blow ur not confidant with saab ??????

guy wake up im forged already but i want to put new piston i think what i have right now they are tired ;)

but i kno how to read a dyno i was at 325 whp 355 pound of torque

end i kno she can take more the turbo can take more then 25 psi that what my saab tech say ????? if it not corect i don'T care the turbo is not blow and will not blow maybe one day but not now so ur comz about my turbo gonna blow keep that to ur self !!!!

this winter all the timming will be change with the cam ported polish head all valve will be change injecters everything im puting 3 K $ in the head so the car gonna be way to fast so wish me luck

#37 ·
Thats a joke right eric :confused:

Come on CHIENDOG tell us how your car makes this power (please no swearing) :nono;

#38 · (Edited)
forged piston put a stage 2 turbo ( i think im not sure i have to look t28 turbo ) and machine the intake it self .

3 inch exhaust from the turbo to the end .

a complet redo ecu from a saab tech who love to play with saab ecu :)
5 dyno run to make sure no bug and S**** :)

and more more more more more to come when i bought this car i had in head ok 500 whp !!!!

this winter the car gonna have more im young stupde no girlfreind nothing to pay only gaz and my car and i have a lot of money so WHO GIVE A CRAP my saab look stock here she is me and her :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4441648&id=725248196

im 19 firt ride and it a saab don't worry guy just had a bad day yesterday so :) :) hop u enjoy my 500whp projet and gonna have bether pic pretty sone ;)

PS : again sorry bad english .

#45 ·
#47 ·
dont whine when people ask for dyno sheets, pics, etc.

if your making all this power then you should be more than happy to upload something. people arent going to believe your making insane power on a set up that could never push that much power.

all you have to do is scan your dynosheet. your tuner shoulda gave you that. cmon man dont cause problems.

#50 ·
A few years back when I had my 2001 9-5 Aero wagon I was at a stop light that began a 4 lane stretch to a 65 mph speed limit highway. I had just got my BSR stage 1 tune. Next to me was a mustang 4.6 manual with a car full of 20 somethings revving his engine. Now, before anyone blast me for drag racing my intention was just to get to the speed limit and leave it at that. I was fully expecting to get beat off the line as we all know Saab automatics are not designed for off the line speed. He had 4 people in the stang so obviously had some extra weight. He had a poor start for what ever reason, and I blew him away. When I got to the speed limit I backed off, and let him go by. It was kind of funny as all of his friends were laughing as they went by, like "dude you got beat by a station wagon". It made me smile.

#51 ·
It was kind of funny as all of his friends were laughing as they went by, like "dude you got beat by a station wagon". It made me smile.

Nice story :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.